The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Silver or Multi-Colored Thimbles? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
I have always wanted to try thimble manipulation so now I am going to take the plunge and buy a set of thimbles to practice with and learn thimble manipulation. But I've noticed that thimble sets come in two different major color sets or combinations and I'm not sure which color set I should buy because thimbles come in multi-colored sets and silver sets.

Why are there two different colored thimble sets? What do most thimble manipulators use...the multi-colored sets or the silver sets? Why would you choose a multi-colored set of thimbles over a silver set of thimbles? Is it just a personal choice or are there reasons for the choice? Are the multi-colored sets easier to see or can you see the silver ones better? Thank you for your help.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Winnipeg, MB
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
I would recommend Frank Radtke's Fakini Thimbles. They are hands-down the highest quality set out there. As far as custom colors would have to be dealt through him directly. If you have any questions, let me know.

Hope this helps,

Evan
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22406 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is the set you should buy. If you wish to perform thimbles.
http://joemogar.tripod.com/id7.html
The sets you are speaking of nest and are more for the beginner.

It has to do with the mood you want to set in your performance, when it comes to color of apparatus. Res and whits show up well, and the different colors set a fun mood. Silver is a cold color, but looks rich from stage.

I would not recommend the Fakint thimbles as they stick and cling to clothing and are hard to steal.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
The coloured ones lets you do colour changes as well.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Thanks everyone for your advice. Here's why I'm asking about Silver VS. Multi-Colored Thimbles. I'm concern about using the multi-colored set of thimbles because in having a thimble "travel" from one finger on one had to a different finger on the other hand it is possible to accidentally have the wrong color thimble read to go on the other hand...but I suppose that when the thimble "traveled" to the other hand it could have changed colors too. If you just used a Silver Colored set of thimbles the color changes of "traveling" thimbles would not be a problem.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Shimada bought cheap thimbles and covered them with rhinestones. He talks about them on one of the Greater Magic Video's.
POOF!
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I'm guessing you're talking about the Vernet sets, in which case get the multicoloured set. You get a full set of 8 in white, then pairs or red, green, blue, and yellow.
This means you can do colour change sequences and multicoloured routines, and also do substitution moves in multiplication by using the white ones. When you're starting the variety will help.
Another plus is they just seem to have a nicer feel, and in rehearsal and learning you needn't worry so much about visibility.
Paul
TXKEVIN
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TXKEVIN
I see a lot of people recommend Fakini thimbles. I prefer nesting thimbles instead and think they offer many more possibilities. I have Fakini thimbles and I don't use them.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22406 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The silver thimbles are harder to hold, and are slippery. It kind of has to do with your hands, if you have dry skin, then they will be impossible to control and hold. If you have moist hands, they may be a little easier, but for the moves you may have problems still.

You want the tapered long thimbles, like the metallic covered ones, but with a good roughed tip so they can be manipulated easily.

One color and one set of 8 is okay, but if you want to do color changes, then getting several sets in different colors is the way to go. It all depends on what your routine will consist of.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Vernet has gold and silver thimbles made of plastic. I haven't tried them yet, but I would think this would be a perfect compromise! Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I recently picked up a set of the Berland Act wooden thimbles painted red. I like them.

The Mogar thimbles are the way to go.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Silver or Multi-Colored Thimbles? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL