We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Drink Up!....review and/or information wanted please. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
I just came across this video clip and am not familiar with this effect. Review, anyone? Is it practical to use in everyday situations?

It is being distributed by Magic Smith.

Video: http://www.stevensmagic.com/videoclips/drinkup.wmv

Description: http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=7551
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2979 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
This request for a review of "Drink Up" has been posted a few times woth no responses. Does anyone have this? The ad said no body load but I wonder??
Even a short review would be helpfull !!!
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It's put out by Chris Smith, so it has to be brilliant!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
ChristopherD
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
71 Posts

Profile of ChristopherD
I'm still waiting for mine from Hank Lee's (3 weeks now).

I'll let you know if it ever comes.
Christopher David
PepeRuizSJ
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of PepeRuizSJ
I can't believe that no one has posted a review for this trick. I can't find any on-line. I will get it and let you know.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Quote:
On 2008-06-23 23:04, PepeRuizSJ wrote:
I will get it and let you know.

Cheers!
PepeRuizSJ
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of PepeRuizSJ
I got mine directly from magicsmith. Great service, very quick.

I got it in the mail today. I don't want to say much, because I have not used it in the real world. It may be that it works great but I was a little dissapointed to know that you produce the expectator's drink. I hope this is not revealing too much, but I think it is fair for people to know this. This is what "There are no body loads, and it works with any glass of liquid." means.
Another problem is that the gimmick is not made out of very long lasting materials. I don't know how long will this last. However they are selling you an idea, I think, Rather than just the gimmick.

The improvement over, let's say David Stone's steal and production is that there's a really nice build up to the revelation moment. They see it materialize before their eyes. However, if they don't have a drink already on the table you can't produce a glass. I don't know if the moment they find out that it is their own drink will be an anti-climax. It doesn't have to, but it might. I'll let you know when I actually try it.

I will be doing table hopping at a wedding by the end of this week. Maybe I'll test it there and let you know afterwards. I do the splash bottle production and it is very powerful, but it is a somewhat bulky body load. If I had a drink on me It would be too much. Maybe this will go well with it. We'll see.
PepeRuizSJ
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of PepeRuizSJ
If you were looking for a production of a glass in environments where the espectators won't have a drink. Check this other thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=113

It's an other product yet to be reviewed.
MagicSmith
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of MagicSmith
Thanks so much for your review. Personally, I like the gimmick as is - cause it fits in my pocket. I like to travel light.

But wanted to mention something I think is important. You don't have to necessarily steal a drink that's already on the table. You can most definitely use Drink Up where the spectators don't have a drink too. You can easily pre-hide a drink on you by stuffing it in your pants or coat pocket - like most of the other methods out there - and use the Drink Up gimmick with it.

With this approach, you can still show the hanky empty, display the asrah-style rise from underneath, and then reveal your drink by stealing under cover of the already risen gimmick. I thought this part would be obvious to users, so I apologize for not including it in the instructions. Hope this idea helps - let me know what you think. Pm me if you need additional details.
PepeRuizSJ
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of PepeRuizSJ
Magic Smith,

Is it Chris? I probably was a little quick to judge. The more I play with it the more I like it actually. You make a really good point about being able to bring your own drink. I have to say that the concept is brilliant and I will offer my honest opinion on the reactions I get.
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
967 Posts

Profile of algebraic
You might want to check out"kanpai" at Elmwood magic. It comes with a dvd along with the gimmick. I believe Elmwood magic also has a demo of the effect.
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
297 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
I thought this gimmick was clever; I have never used it in a real world performance though. Practice will probably help with this gimmick. I will tell you that if you can do a body load and are good with miss direction this will probably work for you after a couple sessions of playing with the gimmick
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
PepeRuizSJ
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of PepeRuizSJ
Well, I finally had a chance to use it in the real world, at a wedding this week.

As a stand alone effect it probably wasn't enough, but I combined it with a bottle production that uses a body load (splash bottle) and that would get the type of reaction I was looking for. For some reason when the drink appeared their look was more like puzzled rather than amazed. Then I would produce the bottle and the reaction was the amazement-excitement I like. Now I see it as a nice little add-on to the bottle production that I already did. I have to say though, I wish it had been a little less pricey, but it's OK, we support the creativity of great people like MagicSmith.
iluzjonista
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of iluzjonista
This trick is trash. Difficult to do, requires strong misdirection and doesn't work as on the video. This is one of the worstest investment I have made in magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Drink Up!....review and/or information wanted please. (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL