The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » When Pyro Goes Bad! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Wow, this past weekend I saw the video from inside The Station Night Club, the night that Great White's pyro burned it down and killed over 100 people. If you have seen this then you probably agree that it is some of the most disturbing footage that I have ever seen. It really makes you reconsider using pyro in your show.
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
I certainly has made me think David. I have already changed some of my routines that used to use pyro. I don't know what I would do if I still played in the metal band. We used to use a lot at every show. Lucky something didn't go wrong.

Regan
Mister Mystery
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The Station Nightclub incident was operator error, not bad pyro.

The gerbs used were labeled with their height, which all gerbs are, and it was obvious (as in written right on the gerb) that it would hit the ceiling.
At that point a person trained as a pyrotechnician would have simply looked up and seen that, not only would the gerb hit the ceiling, but that the ceiling was flamable....and would have called off the effect. (the flamable ceiling is also a major part of the complete story, but not the pyro part of the story, it could have just as easily caught fire from an errant match or cigarette)

In the Station incident, had the "Authority Having Jurisdiction", which is usually your local fire department been contacted ahead of time, which is standard in professional pyro presentations, the Authority would have intervened as well in stopping this from happening.

1) Only use approved pyrotechnics, and use them only as per the directions.
2) Only use a trained and certified pyrotechnician
3) Always contact the Authority Having Jurisdiction for approval of what you're doing

With the exception of flash paper, all the above should happen for each and every pyro event you undertake. Even if the law where you're performing doens't require all of the above, do them anyway, if even one of the three had been done in the Station incident, those 100 people would have gone home that night.
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I won't use anything more than a small piece of flash paper or flash string. Even then I make sure there is a fire extinguisher nearby. Last week I did a show that I was planning on opening with a routine that includes a small piece of flash string. When the show ended up being in a basement with only one way in or out I didn't even use that. Better safe than sorry.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Quote:
On 2006-01-23 13:41, silverking wrote:
The Station Nightclub incident was operator error, not bad pyro.

The gerbs used were labeled with their height, which all gerbs are, and it was obvious (as in written right on the gerb) that it would hit the ceiling.
At that point a person trained as a pyrotechnician would have simply looked up and seen that, not only would the gerb hit the ceiling, but that the ceiling was flamable....and would have called off the effect. (the flamable ceiling is also a major part of the complete story, but not the pyro part of the story, it could have just as easily caught fire from an errant match or cigarette)

In the Station incident, had the "Authority Having Jurisdiction", which is usually your local fire department been contacted ahead of time, which is standard in professional pyro presentations, the Authority would have intervened as well in stopping this from happening.

1) Only use approved pyrotechnics, and use them only as per the directions.
2) Only use a trained and certified pyrotechnician
3) Always contact the Authority Having Jurisdiction for approval of what you're doing

With the exception of flash paper, all the above should happen for each and every pyro event you undertake. Even if the law where you're performing doens't require all of the above, do them anyway, if even one of the three had been done in the Station incident, those 100 people would have gone home that night.

With past experience of using pyro every show I know that it wasn't the gerb's fault, but the user's. I also know that the pyrotechnician was a convicted felon that lived out of his car and kept the pyro in the trunk. It was bad all around!
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » When Pyro Goes Bad! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL