The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring and String (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I've been working on a Ring and String routine. I think that the moves can be so visual and magical, but I really don't want to deliver a play by play patter line:
Here's the ring, and here's the string, etc....
I feel like it needs a theme, a la Gypsy Thread. Do you all agree? What are some of the presentations you all use?
family/magic/music/life
Indyfan
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
173 Posts

Profile of Indyfan
I've learned my ring/string technique from Jay Scott Berry's video, and he doesn't say a word. Although I don't use the fancy schmancy music he uses, I don't use any patter at all, either. I think it works well on it's own, as you say, it's very visual & magical. Perhaps patter may take away from the effect. What do others have to say.
Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Reian
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
117 Posts

Profile of Reian
I asked myself a bunch of questions when I had to think of for certain moves and for my presentation. I believe in the "So what" when someone does a routine. When there is no patter for this routine, why should anyone care to watch, so what. Why is the ring coming off and on, how is it coming off, what kind of emotional attachment can the spectator get to make the memory of this experience memorable (would like to thank Doc Dixon for that line) Sure a ring comes off and on and may be amazing but so what, I could do a double lift and do a color change and get an amazing reaction.

So my advice is to think of a reason why the ring is coming off, then how the ring is coming off then try to have a move relating to those two questions. Of course having it flow into your patter.

For example
Why the ring comes off? To show how to take a ring off a rope

How is the ring coming off or on? It comes off/on when I tug/massage/toss the ring off/on the rope

Move? Discrepant Insertion

That's how I thought up my moves and presentation for ring and string.

Good luck.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Are we really the only three Ring and String guys?
family/magic/music/life
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
You didn't say Ellis.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10701 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
What about me? Ring and string, ropes and rings or just ropes, that's my favorite kind of magic, so count me in the mix.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
How about coming up with a story line around "lord of the rings". Stating that it is one of the magic rings owned by the elfs. It's a very special magic ring that chooses it's owner. It cannot be kept or bound unless by it's own choosing. You demonstrate with the string and the ring continually escapes. Remove the ring several different ways. Have a dup ring for lots of variation. Finish by vanishing the ring all together. Perhaps with a raven or by your favorite method.
That will get you started.

Smile
Daniel Faith
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
What kind of ring and string stuff are we refering to? When I bought both Ellis rings I gave the steel ring and shoelace set to a friend of mine.

I do a pretty simple three phase using the Ellis in the first.

1. Ellis it on. Patter about growing up on the farm and knowing all about harness rings, harness needles, leatherpunches, and all of the harness, bridles halters and saddles that we repaired ourselves.
2. Remove ring and fake knot it back on.
tell about showing the first effect to my wife and her response that it was pretty good but I should try putting a knot in the rope. Fake knot melts away with ring still jumping onto rope.
3.Talk about showing the ring jumping on and my wife saying thats pretty good but I needed to try getting the ring off after tying it on with a real knot.
A real knot is tied on ring, and rope ends are also tied together. now rope has two real knots and is shown in said condition.
ring is placed into left hand and a large safety pin is shown and put through both ropes in the center between knots.

Rope is lifted and ring has escaped knot and is laying in left hand. More Yada yada about the ropes and harness and always one horse that kept getting loose no matter what we did.
Ring is put away and rope is knoted to table with the same knot which obviously can't come loose.

Move into linking safetypins/shrinking pin.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
felix
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of felix
Gregory Wilson has a video on this topic. I have heard it is very good.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1134 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
The Wilson video is one of the best compilations of moves on the ring & string ever. Very well produced too.

I do a very direct 3 phase routine. Ring penetrates string into hand of spectator. Ring disappears in specatator's hand and appears on string. Ring disappears from string and reappears on magician's finger.

If the specator asks, "can you do it with my ring?" I'm set up with ring flight to do the instantaneous vanish from the string using the Earl Nelson method from the Greg Wilson video. BTW, this is the only time I use ring flight.

Ring & String is such a simple plot and effect it does NOT need to be burdened with rationalization to why the magic is happening. Just do it and get out. Sometimes magic just happens.
dekerivers
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of dekerivers
I'm new to the ring an string and want to find out more about it? Where do I go to find moves and routines. I have a Jay Sankey video where he does a trick called "Leaving Home" it involves a key and string, where he utitizes a striking vanish to "visibly" link the two together! The illusion looks great! that sparked my interest in the ring and string. is it an effect that can be done strolling? Smile
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Ring and string routines are great and spectators love it... yes, Leaving Home is great too, so is Mr. Wilson's fantastic stuff. Smile
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
I highly recommend Scott Guinn's Ring and String routine. Routines, actually. He has one which uses his own ring, and one which uses a borrowed ring. Both are in his book, Great Scott! It's More Magic!
ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
I second Alex! Scott is putting out a DVD too with his rope and ring routine.
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
JC33
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of JC33
Gregory Wilson's video Ring Leader is great. He offers some good presentational tips as well as some good one liners to use when borrowing the ring.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Please check out these two videos.

Greg Wilson's Ring Leader
Jay Scott Berry's Symphony of the Ring and Ribbon

They both have so much to learn and very neat visual moves.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2002-11-21 07:09, Guardian wrote:
How about coming up with a story line around "lord of the rings". Stating that it is one of the magic rings owned by the elves. It's a very special magic ring that chooses it's owner. It cannot be kept or bound unless by it's own choosing. You demonstrate with the string and the ring continually escapes. Remove the ring several different ways. Have a dup ring for lots of variation. Finish by vanishing the ring all together. Perhaps with a raven or by your favorite method. That will get you started.

Smile

Guardian,

What a great idea!! I had thought about doing something along a "Lord of the Ring" theme; I even found a site that sells the ring. But I never connected the dots to see the obvious. Sure, it's the genius that see the "obvious", the rest of us have to stumble into it or have it pointed out or explained to them.

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
There is a nice routine and easy to learn by Eric De Camp. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the book.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Indeed, I bought a replica of the One Ring some time ago. It looks nice and very magical. Remember the Ring slipped of Isildur's finger when he needed it most. This seems to be a natural theme for the effect and very commercial as well.

Hey Eric, have you given up your nickname you old spacecake? Smile
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
376 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Along the lord of the rings theme.

I do a ring and rope routine and hand out the ring before hand to the ring bearer, and any time I call out for the ring bearer I have them stand up and proclaim that they are the Lord of the Rings.

It's a fun little bit; adults dig it, kids usually forget what to say so they get an assistant whose job is to ensure that the mission is carried out.

The ring and rope routine isn't that special. It's a commercial routine called full circle, it looks really magical and it kinda makes sense with the theme.
oliver
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring and String (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL