The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Christmas effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Since Christmas is around the corner,I was wondering what kind of Christmas effects you guys perform in a close-up,strolling situation.
My favorite is Dean Dill's Spot light. I change the patter so the sponge ball represents Rudolph's nose. I also do a Santa Hat Tear (sparingly)and a message from Santa using the "out to lunch" principle.
How about you guys?
Rich B.
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Speaking of rudolph, The D-lite's are an obvious laed in, especially if you are using Spot light. Other than that I would suggest the use of any silk effect, but use christmas colors, sorry holiday colors. Realisticaly most tricks can be geared toward a holiday theme if you are creative enough. Don't let the original patter of any trick hinder you,

Mat
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
to true mat, almost all tricks can be redone for any theme.
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
I once did a Larry Becker effect ( based on an old card principle ) usually done with ESP cards, but as it was close to Christmas I did it with 10 small Christmas cards ( 5 designs repeated twice ). Easy, self working and quick to reset and festive! Larry calls it "Will The Cards Match?" but it's probably lurking in card books somewhere.
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
I like the D'Lite idea.. chasing Rudolph's nose.. There it is.. oops now it's here.. at least for kids that would be very visual.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
941 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Rich,

I am performing my own, new story-deck routine, called apologies to Dickens

You can read more about the nuts and bolts of the thing here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......70&0

It's not an impromptu thing ( as with any story deck), but really kills, when the audience is in that right frame of mind (and attention span)

Ron
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You know, Max Maven has an effect with 10 envelopes and 10 cards. The spectators match up the envelopes any way they want to without seeing the cards inside.

Max then pulls out the cards from the matched up envelops and all the pairs of cards match.

D'oh!!!

This could be adapted for christmas, birthdays, or anything else for that matter.

for christmas, it could be pairs of ...
a reindeer, santa, a wreath, a xmas tree, and a stocking.

I don't remembe the name of it. I believe it is one the parlor mentalism video and now that I think about it, I believe the name of the effect is "Zenvelopes".

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2002-11-22 09:58, dr chutney wrote:
I once did a Larry Becker effect ( based on an old card principle ) usually done with ESP cards, but as it was close to Christmas I did it with 10 small Christmas cards ( 5 designs repeated twice ). Easy, self working and quick to reset and festive! Larry calls it "Will The Cards Match?" but it's probably lurking in card books somewhere.

I doubt it is in old card books somewhere. It was Larry that added the meaningful phrase that improved the Howard Adams principle and then popularised it in many forms. It is a very adaptable trick.

I have a packet trick with a Santa theme due to appear on http://www.allmagic.com next month that is easy to do and funny. It is something I sold at one time. You can make it up and do it with larger cards too. Look out for it.

Paul.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Dr. Chutney writes: "Easy, self working and quick to reset and festive! Larry (Becker)calls it "Will The Cards Match?" but it's probably lurking in card books somewhere."

In his post, above, Paul is probably right: It's not likely you'll find this in any old card books, since it was created by Larry.

Trouble is, I always felt that the phrase "Will The Cards Match" tended to tip the result.

Consequently, I did many variations of this; some appear in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine (Noah's Cargo, July, 2001, and The Power of Love, August, 2001) as well as several bizarre routines using the principle.

But it can certainly be adapated to just about any occasion and show.
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
Peter and Paul ( where's Mary )
In the Davenports Lecture video I have, Larry says the effect is based on an old card trick, hence I figured it might be published somewhere. Thanks for clarifying.

I've just seen Larry's very comprehensive explanation of origin and method in Secret Sessions (look under the Gilbraith Principle post).
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
Pinky
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
49 Posts

Profile of Pinky
Dan Harlan used to market an effect called "Doggone Impawsible" (I think that's how it's spelled). Anyway, the simplicity of the effect combined with the cards used easily allowed it to be recreated for any holidays.

The original had a drawing of a dog, which I had redrawn as a Turkey (Thanksgiving), Santa (Xmas), Easter bunny...you get the idea.
Dave Cross

"The problem with being better than everyone else is that people tend to think you're pretentious."
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Hey Dave. Thanks for the idea. Is this a monte type effect?
I'll do some searches to try to find this effect.
Rich B.
tiptophat
View Profile
Loyal user
Wesley
247 Posts

Profile of tiptophat
A great piece of napkin magic I adapted for Christmas was Dan Harlan's STARACLE. The effect involves the star and moon of which I accompany with a Christmas story. Children and parents always give it a big response.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Christmas effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL