The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Black Houdini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
I am looking for information on Norris Roche. He was a magican from the 1930? who billed himself as Black Houdini. He appeared on many bills with John W. Cooper. Thank you in advance.
James
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
James,

I have a book about black magicians in America, but there is no mention of the person you are trying to track down, nor can I find anything on the internet. He may not be that well known or maybe you can give us some additional information to help us out. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Coram Deo
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Thank you Steven for your attention. I too have tried to research him on the net but have not had any luck. The only info that I have is from a poster that was for sale. I think he performed a lot in the Harlem area. Thanks again for your time.
Best Regards,
James
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Try looking at a big auction site and check completed auctions.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
I will try that Kevin...I will let you know if I have any luck.
Best Regards,
James
Jim Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Jim Magus
I have a publicity photograph of Norice de la Roache given to me by magician Lew Dick, who told me la Roache was from the British West Indies and that he was very active performing at black churches and schools throughout New York during the 30s with a full evening show of stage illusiions. He was also active in a local magic organization called the Knights of Magic. For his "day" job he ran a business school on 125th Street in Harlem. In the photo I have he wore a turban and billed himself as Professor Chan Du Bey. Marcellie (Marcellus Clark)and Professor Maharajah (Wilmont Barclay) were friends of his. I am interested in where he performed with ventriloquist Cooper and what other information you might have about him.
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Jim, I pm you with the info I had.
Thanks for the great info!!!
Best Wishes,
James
SJMiller
View Profile
New user
East Tennessee
61 Posts

Profile of SJMiller
During the 1930s there was also a magician with the last name of Hooper that billed himself as The Handcuff King and the Black Houdini. A newspaper story concerning him stated that he “…amazed the police department of Knoxville, Tennessee with his magic escape tricks.”
Just thought you might be interested in this info.

SJ Miller
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Black Houdini (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL