The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's the difference between Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and New Modern Coin magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Kelly
I ask because I want to buy one of them, but searching for them I see that Modern Coin Magic is about 10 euro but New Modern Coin Magic is over 30 euro. I know the new version is a hardback copy, but does it have any new material that's worth paying the extra money?
"But where did the lighter fluid come from?"
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
New modern coin magic has about 5 chapters more than modern coin magic.
wattomagic
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
68 Posts

Profile of wattomagic
Go for the New modern coin magic. A lot of the really good stuff is in the last few chapters. You will only end up buying it later anyway, like I did Smile.

Chris
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

Thanks for the info. I think I will buy the new one.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I just checked on amazon. I didn't see a New Modern Coin Magic.
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

Amazon don't seem to have it. Neither do a lot of magic websites. Some carry the £10 one, some the newer one. I just bought the new one from world-of-magic.co.uk
Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
Isn't this the new one?

amazon.co.uk

If the link doesn't work, go to http://www.amazon.co.uk and search for Bobo. The Dover book is, I believe the old one, the New Dawn book is, I believe the new one - and its really cheap! Can anyone confirm this?
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
No, that's the same as the Dover edition. New Modern Coin Magic contains 699 illustrations, 110 sleights and 312 tricks.
pierre888
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of pierre888
Sirs, was this book also by bobo? I have the old version but I haven't gotten to reading it. My attention span when reading these books is too short, I try to complement books with videos...
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Is New Modern Coin Magic better? Are the 5 extra chapters worth it?
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

I'll tell you in a week when I get the book!

Personally I'm gettin it because it's hardback. It seems to be a large book and in my experience paperbacks that size will just fall apart
Solimar
View Profile
New user
Solimar
25 Posts

Profile of Solimar
Looking forward to your review! I have Modern Coin Magic, and was wondering the same...is it worth it buying the "New" version?
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Is it worth it? Well, if the price of the "New" edition is going to put you off buying the book, then I'd say go with the Dover edition. One of the nicest things about the "New" is that it's larger and hardcover, so it's easier to work with.

My recommendation, if price is an issue, would be to buy the Dover edition, and if you're enjoying it, keep your eyes open for a good deal on the bigger book. That's exactly what I did, and eventually, I found a good deal on eBay.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Unlike books like "Card College" or "Royal Road to Card Magic", Bobo's book is not set up like a course, it's more of a reference. Because of this, many newcomers find it difficult to work with the book.

Texas magician Opie Houston put together a really useful study guide to the book, leading you through the fundamentals to give you a solid foundation in coin magic. It used to be hosted at the now defunct "Coin Purse" website (R.I.P), and with its demise, the guide went too.

I did a Google search for the material, and found another copy of it here:

Link to Bobo Study Guide

Hope you find it useful.
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

Thanks for the study guide link Foucault. The book came in the mail a few days ago and I was a little shocked by the size of it! Have no idea where to start. This guide will come in handy.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
You're most welcome, jonnyfingers. The study guide is certainly helping me, because the Bobo book covers so much ground. The guide starts you off with some of the most important sleights, then gets you going with the tricks. Besides the really fundamental sleights, I think you only need to learn others in order to be able to perform specific tricks.
-0-
View Profile
New user
London
58 Posts

Profile of -0-
I'd possibly suggest that a link to that study guide be posted as a sticky either in this forum or in the Coin Magic forum. It's useful for a beginner (i intend to start following it), the magician section of coinvanish.com also has some tips on what you should learn first (slightly different priorities there though).

Just my 2p
Regards,

-0-
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Quote:
On 2006-02-03 14:50, Foucault wrote:
Unlike books like "Card College" or "Royal Road to Card Magic", Bobo's book is not set up like a course, it's more of a reference. Because of this, many newcomers find it difficult to work with the book.

Texas magician Opie Houston put together a really useful study guide to the book, leading you through the fundamentals to give you a solid foundation in coin magic. It used to be hosted at the now defunct "Coin Purse" website (R.I.P), and with its demise, the guide went too.

I did a Google search for the material, and found another copy of it here:

Link to Bobo Study Guide

Hope you find it useful.

This guide has vanished. Anyone know where to find it now? I know, I should have copied it, but I just assumed it would always be there when I wanted to refer to it.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I just tried Google for the study guide and I'm coming up blank, too. If anyone has a link to it, it would be most appreciated.
I have the Dover version of Modern Coin Magic, and I've got to say that it's got enough material to keep an amateur busy for a lifetime. I haven't seen the more expensive hardcover version, but since magic is just a hobby to me, I've got to say that I'm very happy with the value the Dover edition provides. I don't think I would have been able to justify the extra expense for the hardcover, even with five extra chapters.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

The website where the study guide was had a bit of a revamp....the guide may be lost forever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's the difference between Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and New Modern Coin magic (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL