The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's the difference between Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and New Modern Coin magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Johan_
View Profile
New user
Sweden
2 Posts

Profile of Johan_
I´ve got the "modern coin magic" and I do think it´s knd of old school if you know what I mean..?
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Well, as I'm starting back into magic after a multi-year lapse, I just now got around to digging my copy of Bobo's book out of a box, and guess what? It's 'New Modern Coin Magic', not the older 'Modern Coin Magic' as I thought.
What threw me is that my copy isn't hardcover, it's a trade paperback edition published by Magic, Inc., in 1966. (My copy is a 1988 printing of that edition.) But mine has the 669 illustrations, 110 sleights, and 312 tricks mentioned above, so I'm guessing it's the same as the hardback mentioned above. But mine says 4 new chapters, not five.
Anyway, forget what I said about the Dover edition being just fine. I had no idea what I was talking about. Big surprise there, huh? Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
sehrgut
View Profile
Regular user
Augusta, GA
105 Posts

Profile of sehrgut
I don't know how many of you have used archive.org, but it's a fabulous free resource that attempts to archive all of the web continuously. Thus, many "dead" pages may be found by typing "web.archive.org/*/" in front of the "http://" of the dead url. I found that, while the new link is dead, and was not archived, the older copy of Houston's guide on Coinpurse is in the archive (and is for several years back). The most recently-archived copy is here:

Link to Archived Bobo Study Guide

Hope this helps (as it will help me . . . my copy of Bobo just came in!)

Cheers!
Keith
"It is February, and time to take ink and weep.
One must always write of February while weeping."
-Boris Pasternak

"That night something of youth and beauty died in the elder world." -H.P. Lovecraft
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Thanks Keith!! I copied it this time. Smile
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2706 Posts

Profile of John Long
For what it is worth, the "new" version is identical to the Dover reprint up to page 353 - they are page by page exactly the same. The "new" versions has 4 extra chapters(pp 354 - 509).

Are these extra chapters worth the money? I guess that depends on you. I happened to find my copy for $5.50, it had minor water damage. So for me it was worth that Smile

Not that this is a quantitative measure of worth, but I noticed that I have about as many post-it notes stuck in the extra chapters as I have in the earlier chapters Smile

Like someone else said, I find Bobo to be more of a reference. When someone on the Café makes a recommendation, or I see a method that I have interest in, I check it out. I learned most of my coin sleights of hand from Ammar's Complete introduction to Coin Magic, I'm also working through Roth's Expert Coin Magic made easy v 1-3. I love books, but it is so nice to see a sleight actually done, at least to get started.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's the difference between Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and New Modern Coin magic (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL