We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Got To Meet Copperfield! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Wow, so last night was amazing. I have been a HUGE Copperfield fan for most of my life. I've probably seen 12 or 13 of his shows. If it wasn't for my Dad taking me to see a Copperfield show when I was 6, I probably wouldn't be doing magic today. Better yet, I definitely wouldn't have came up with King Rising, as it was inspired by David's Flying illusion.

Anyways, I had tickets to go see a 5:30 show in Providence, RI. My seats were really bad, because the first time I tried to order tickets they hadn't started selling them, and the second time I tried they were almost sold out! Tickets were very inexpensive (cheapest tickets were $31) so I think that may be why they sold so fast. I had met Chris Kenner a couple of years ago in Vegas, so I figured it would be a great oppurtunity to have him sign my copy of his book.

I called Chris when I got to the show, and he met me out in front of the stage. He asked me where I was sitting, I told him up on the second balcony, and he handed me two tickets and said "Well, now you're sitting in the front row!". He also set us up for a meet and greet after the show. Wow, I will say this many times in this message, but Chris Kenner is the MAN!

So I go and grab my mother who I was taking to the show for her Birthday, come down to the front, and talk to Chris for 15 minutes or so. For those of you who don't know him, Chris is an incredibly down to Earth guy. With all of the things he has to do and all of the stuff he has to worry about, you would never know it by the way he talks to you. We talked about magic, the show, current material that we are working on.. I felt like I knew him for years. He gladly signed my book for me and I gave him a copy of King Rising as a token of appreciation.

Show time came and it was a great show! David seemed a little bit run down, which I found out why later, but still amazing nonetheless. After the show, Chris came back out and was talking to me again. He was asking me all about King Rising, talking to me about his dog, telling me about David's parents and so on. It was really cool just to be able to talk to Chris. He's an amazing magician and he runs the whole Copperfield company. It's incredible, because like he was telling me, he started off consulting David on card tricks and jokes, and now he runs the company. He's the man. Then he popped the question (no, not that question lol) "Hey would you mind performing King Rising for David? I think he'd love to see it". WHOA! Holy crap. I was going to be able to perform for David Copperfield?!? The nerves started to flow almost immediately.

David came out and signed stuff and took pictures with the rest of the people that were set up with meet and greets. After everyone was done, Chris brought him over and introduced me to him. I was so nervous, and it takes a lot to get me nervous. But this is David Copperfield! The same guy that vanished the Statue of Liberty, Walked through the Great Wall of China, made a leer jet disappear. He signed my book, and then we went down to the pit of the stage so I could perform King for him. It probably looked terrible because I was so nervous, but both David and Chris thought that it was a clever idea. David took a picture with my mother and I, wished me good luck with a handshake, and went backstage. Chris and I talked a bit more, he invited me to a party at his house during the World Magic Seminar, and we said our goodbyes.

I'm still in awe of the whole experience. Chris is such a cool guy, and even though I haven't known him that long it's like he's been a friend of mine for years. The knowledge that he has is so vast that it's awesome just to be able to talk to him. And David, for the amount of stress that he has on him right now (both of his parents are in the hospital, pretty sad) he still had time for his fans. I was very impressed with the whole situation, and I am extremely greatful for the night I had last night. Chris Kenner, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!
Corey King
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I don't like you now..Not only do you have my name you got to meet David...lol. ok, I cant hate you for that. Congrats. I got to see David perform last june in branson, and it was a great show. I wanted to meet him so bad. I saw him only on tv before that time, He is the whole reason I got into magic when I saw him at the age of 6.
Ryan Lehman
View Profile
New user
NY
13 Posts

Profile of Ryan Lehman
Well said, I think David is the reason for many people getting into magic. I too was influenced by David at age 6. My mom always says "then when he was sawed in half you got on the floor because you couldn't watch it". There is alittle David in all of us those who go around hating him just havent found it.
"If this is magic,
let it be an art"
-William Shakespeare
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
I tell you, if there was one person in magic whom I would love to meet, it would be D.C.

I've seen him perform in person about five times, and even though he's said to be more image than innovator, he's still been about the biggest influence in magic since Houdini.

And to get the opportinuty to perform for him, Oh!

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Godel
View Profile
New user
California
71 Posts

Profile of Godel
Great story Corey, Chris Kenner is the man and David Copperfield is too.
BLSmagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of BLSmagic
Awesome story Corey (I apologize for the rhyme). You got to perform for DC; I don't think I'm that stable mentally. Your story did remind me of my excitement when I got to meet DC (I'll be brief). It was a much shorter meeting though. I just happened to be sitting next to the best friends of the stage manager's family. When they heard that I was a magician and wanted to meet DC, they told me to stick with them after the show because they were getting a group pic with David. After the we took the pic, the small crowd went one way and David went the other so I had my direction cut out for me. Luckily, the stage manager knew about my wanting to meet DC and he motioned to David to turn around and DC introduced himself to me. Even though that was only about 10 seconds, I know it took close to 10 years off of my life. Anyway Corey, that's one story you've got forever. Don't tell it to magicians any less than you have to. Smile
My screen name has changed to "Bryan Swaringen."

www.BusinessEntertainer.com www.MagicPromoReel.com
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Corey, I love your king rising jest to tell you, and tell Chris that I said "Your the man!!!"
Sounds like a sweet night. -Cory.
Larry Stangel
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
93 Posts

Profile of Larry Stangel
Hey Corey good for you getting to meet two of the biggest names in magic today. Nice to see that there are still some nice guys out there....

BTW when do your Rhode Island friends get to see the King Rising? There's been so much buzz about this but you've yet to show it off at a meeting.

Just wondering,

Larry
"you could look it up" Casey Stengel
Liquid
View Profile
New user
Home
67 Posts

Profile of Liquid
Corey K, How I understand your words. I had the chance to talk to David back in 2000 when he received the "Magician of the Millenium award". He is such a great guy! Meeting him was one of my dreams, I watch him since I was a litlle boy. It may sound stupid, to get so exceited just because you met a magician, but you can't explain the wonder, can't you? Smile
--
Liquid
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
David Copperfield is the Harry Houdini of our times. If you travel the world over and ask people to name a magician, besides Houdini, they will most likely say Copperfield. No other names will probably come up.

I saw him here in Paris a few months ago. I took my wife. We had third row seats and so got to see him up close. It was a nice show. Because magic is an important part of my life, I am happy to be able to say that I saw him perform in person. If I had live one hundred years ago, I would have loved to say the same about Houdini.

Nice story, Corey. That one will be with you forever. Share that someday with your kids and grandkids. They´ll love it.

Best,

José.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I met David Copperfield at the library.

(I'm such a comedian)

If you still haven't got the joke, search Dickens on google and learn a little bit more about literature.

Michael
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I certainly don't bash other magicians because I am jealous of their fame and fortune. (I love the work of blaine, Burton, angel etc.) but I've never understood why Copperfield is so popular.

He always comes across as a little kitsch whilst carrying an air of distant supority when I have seen him perform.
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
Nicholas, takes some courage to go against this sirupy adulation of DC.... on the two occasions I've seen him, he's come across as robot-like, bored, an over-the-top ego and sexist. With his recent purchase of those Bahamian islands in search of a fountain of youth, perhaps a bit nutty now as well....shades of Doug Henning in his later years??
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Copperfield is a very nice guy and open to people much more so than many in his position. He has an excellent sense of humor and a very good mind for magic and is smart enough to have top notch people like Homer and Kenner on his team. No one in magic works as hard as he does either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Got To Meet Copperfield! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL