The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Anyone - "2 Copper 1 Silver" ? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Really? I always thought the hole in the Chinese coin made the effect a lot stronger. I already owned 2C1S the first time I saw CSB and it still blew me away.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I've always used the C/S/B using the same approach that John Mendoza suggested--refer to the Copper and Brass as a logical grouping of two, for example, two foreign coins. That way, you get the best of both worlds--the strength associated with one of the coins having a hole in it, and the directness of having only two "objects" to follow.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Mb

I use a magnetic copper and silver set; it will do the Scotch and Soda effect plus more.
It can be good for table hopping since the reset is quick and easy

A routine that I like for this can be see here.
http://www.calmagic.com/silvercopper.html

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Quote:
On 2006-02-02 17:52, Rob Elliott wrote:
Really? I always thought the hole in the Chinese coin made the effect a lot stronger. I already owned 2C1S the first time I saw CSB and it still blew me away.

Rob. the problem is that for some strange reason spectators feel the need to remember three colors as opposed to two...this makes (or can make) for a confusing effect!

Mike
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On 2006-02-02 18:29, Larry Davidson wrote:
I've always used the C/S/B using the same approach that John Mendoza suggested--refer to the Copper and Brass as a logical grouping of two, for example, two foreign coins. That way, you get the best of both worlds--the strength associated with one of the coins having a hole in it, and the directness of having only two "objects" to follow.

2 copper 1 silver is a 2 for 1 transposition that is immediately perceptible visually without labels. The label "foreign coins" is a meta level, another level of abstraction. Thus I don't think John Mendoza's solution is as good as the original 2 copper 1 silver, although I am quite sure that if anyone can clarify an effect (as much as it can be clarified) it is he.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Foolsnobody, I agree that the "grouping" is a level of abstraction, but at the bottom line, it works. I've performed C/S/B professionally for more than 25 years (and played around with it for many years before that) and can tell you that in my experience the audience isn't confused (and I performed the effect in bars for many years, where, as Mike Gallo rightly points out, audiences can have a difficult time concentrating). I think the secret to the success of my version is also that, unlike a number of verions I've seen, it's very direct without any extraneous handling. So at the bottom line, I agree with Mike Gallo that it "can" make for a confusing effect, but it doesn't necessarily have to.

Regards, Larry
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
I agree with Larry on this one. With proper routining, the three-way transposition just seems much more magical than a two-way. If you switch the silver for the two coppers three times in a row, it may be a nice trick, but it's still just the same effect three times. Three unique and distinguishable coins making a variety of transpositions seems far more impossible and therefore, makes for a stronger effect. Just my humble opinion.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
The C/S/B does seem to have an extra layer of deception. When working for non-magicians I just have the 2 gaffs and 1 regular coin, and do double-turnover moves with the gaffs seemingly showing two regular coins, and when showing the regular coin on both sides I try to make the movement seem similar to the faked turnover. Then I do the trick and end with the "show" with the 2 double-turnovers and the 1 regular turnover and then put it all away. The copper gaff goes by because they don't know what is supposed to be on the other side anyway. It saves all the work on switching in and out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Anyone - "2 Copper 1 Silver" ? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL