The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » New to Thumb Tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
I've decided to delve into thumb tip magic. I've played with a few before, but never really tried get serious about it. Now, I want to.

What books/DVDs are good for a newbie of TTs? Also, what type of (soft or hard)/brand of TT do you recommend for me to get? I have small hands, but I've heard that "junior" thumb tips are way too small to hold things.

I appreciate any help.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You're right about the "junior" size. TT's really don't need to fit your hand as much as they do the "load." It's easier to adjust to a too loose tip than to try and look natural as you pry one off that's too tight.

Start with a standard Vernet TT and go from there.

Penguin Magic sells a great DVD set by Gary Darwin, the "King" of TT's.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2006-01-28 19:49, Dave VanVranken wrote:
It's easier to adjust to a too loose tip than to try and look natural as you pry one off that's too tight.

Gee, back in the old days the opposite was true. With a standard old style Vernet tip all you had to do was boil it in water and jam a superball into the end to adjust the size.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I agree. I was referring to adjusting yourself to having to use an oversized tip, not adjusting the tip. The superball fix works fine, and there are even ways to make one slightly smaller (thanks to Bill Palmer), but I still say that it's easier to "make do" with a slightly loose tip than getting one stuck during a performance and trying to discreetly pry it off.

This is one of those times when bigger really is better.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
TXKEVIN
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TXKEVIN
Some recommended thumb tip books:
THUMB TIP MAGIC MAGIA CON IL FALSO POLLICE
DARWIN'S 101 THUMB TIP TRICKS by GARY DARWIN
THUMB TIP SECRETS by GARY DARWIN
THUMB TIP THINKING by GARY DARWIN
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
LDM,
You seeing a pattern emerge? Look for anything pertaining to TT's by Gary Darwin and you can't go wrong.

Sure, there are others who have written about it, but none with passion or the lifetime obsession that Gary has for this little piece of plastic.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Patrick Page DVD/Video is great.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
LDM,
Try to find a copy of Steve Dusheck's book "Dusheck's Thumb Tip Magic." Aside from that, if you want some cool basics, look for the standard classic by Milbourne Christopher, "50 Tricks with a Thumbtip."
jcorb
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of jcorb
Try Darwin Ortiz's Enclopedia of Thumbtip Magic. Three dvds. Loaded with everything about the thumbtip.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Politically correct or not, size counts. The ones that I really like best are not the most expensive. My very favorite I got from Showbiz Services (George Schindler) years ago. They were from Hong Kong and just a little more rigid than a Vernet. My second choice comes from D. Robbins in a generic pack of 6 long and 6 normal thumb tips. (Throw the long ones away.) They are slightly belled and very easy to use with just the one hand. I've paid much more for much less.

Shop until you find what is really for you.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2006-01-29 15:54, jcorb wrote:
Try Darwin Ortiz's Enclopedia of Thumbtip Magic. Three dvds. Loaded with everything about the thumbtip.

Gary Darwin, not Darwin Ortiz.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
This chart might help.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Bob, I can't believe you said "Throw the long ones away.)". Surely you could cut them down or make other gimmicks out of them.
Please throw them in my direction next time!!!

I have been using RTV-101 rubber to make my own TT moulds. I must have wasted about 12 moulds before I found the right mix and demould times.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
One note about the Dusheck book, which I bought recently: It doesn't contain anything on basic TT handling; it's a book about creative uses for TT's, most of which have been modified in some way. It's still a good book, and I'll keep hold of my copy, but it's not for beginners to this area.

Dave - I'd be very interested in your tips (er-hem) about working with a slightly large TT. A standard Vernet that I got ages ago is a reasonable fit (although the "spring" from a silk can sometimes make it alarmingly pop off!), but a soft tip, also by Vernet doesn't fit as well. An Italian tip I bought recently was a terrible fit, with a huge gap all the way around.

The chart that Jeremy shares is very revealing. Using the technique suggested to measure your thumb, mine is about 2 3/4" at the correct poing. That's a little large for a small tip, and a little small for a regular.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Since you also asked about DVD's, I second the recommendation on Patrick Page's thumb tip DVD. I also recommend Salvano's DVD as well as Jay Scott Berry's Total Eclipse DVD (get the eclipse thumb tip gimmick as well to offer you some variations).

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~roy/magictalk-wi......ice.html
I think this is worth posting again because of the wealth of information to be found here.
Olszanski
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Olszanski
If you subscribe to MUM, take a look at Cody Fisher's routine -- meant for kids and good enough for adults. February 2005, page 18. It is a mainstay for me now. It really taught me that the TT could be on fire without nary a glance, given the patter and the many things ongoing during the routine. Bonus: I get to use a rabbit without having to feed it!
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of lane99
At 3:45 of Gary Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT DVD, he says his favorite TT is the one made of "v-eye-nel" (vinyl?), which is flexible and fireproof.

Does anyone know exactly what TT he is refering to?
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 12:03, lane99 wrote:
At 3:45 of Gary Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT DVD, he says his favorite TT is the one made of "v-eye-nel" (vinyl?), which is flexible and fireproof.

Does anyone know exactly what TT he is refering to?

I'd like to know that too. Searches here have revealed quite a few people recommending cheap Japanese TTs, but I would like a specific reference. Preferably one that doesn't result in paying more in postage that the cost of the TT, or from a dealer that has a $50 minimum order. I don't have a local magic shop.
Jimmy Y
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Y
Definitaly Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic!
I just ordered the new TT from Frediup, I hope that's a good buy.
Nice to meet you Smile
Jimmy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » New to Thumb Tips (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL