The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » New to Thumb Tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Jimmy, the Fredi up tip is good, but if you're looking for a perfect match, you might be disappointed. Not many have found a good size or color match the first time, and it seems he doesn't accept exchanges.

You can read reviews about it here
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-02-10 10:48, Foucault wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 12:03, lane99 wrote:
At 3:45 of Gary Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT DVD, he says his favorite TT is the one made of "v-eye-nel" (vinyl?), which is flexible and fireproof.

Does anyone know exactly what TT he is refering to?

I'd like to know that too. Searches here have revealed quite a few people recommending cheap Japanese TTs, but I would like a specific reference. Preferably one that doesn't result in paying more in postage that the cost of the TT, or from a dealer that has a $50 minimum order. I don't have a local magic shop.

Of all the hundreds of TT's in his collection, the one I see him use consistantly is the good old plastic $3 model. I don't know the brand, but it's somewhere between the hard plastic and full rubber TT. I don't think they're Vernets. Denny and Lee's usually has a drawer full of them. As inexpensive as they are, you'd be better off combining orders as the price is certain to be less than the shipping cost of a single TT.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jimmy Y
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Y
Thank you Dave.
This is more like a trial purchase, I couldn't resist for its realistic look.
Nice to meet you Smile
Jimmy
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
For a realistic look I moulded my own thumb then cast it in rubber. I had to mess about to enlarge it but am happy with the result.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
elbruno
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of elbruno
Check out the selection of thumbtips at Daytona Magic...it's perhaps the widest out there. They have Japanese, Italian, soft, hard, small, large, metal, etc. I'm sure you will be able to find something that will serve your purposes.
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Quote:
On 2006-01-28 23:17, TXKEVIN wrote:
Some recommended thumb tip books:
THUMB TIP MAGIC MAGIA CON IL FALSO POLLICE
DARWIN'S 101 THUMB TIP TRICKS by GARY DARWIN
THUMB TIP SECRETS by GARY DARWIN
THUMB TIP THINKING by GARY DARWIN

You can not go wrong with the Darwin Books...as for the tip to use??? that is up to you and what effect are you doing. The plastic tips work very well with silks and paper billets, the vinyl tips I like for salt or liquid vanishes ect... Silks tend not come out of the vinyl tipos as smooth as the plastic. I also like the finger tips by vernet. Good Luck

Later & Out
RJ
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2006-02-14 16:47, elbruno wrote:
Check out the selection of thumbtips at Daytona Magic...it's perhaps the widest out there. They have Japanese, Italian, soft, hard, small, large, metal, etc. I'm sure you will be able to find something that will serve your purposes.

A search on their site revealed 3 types of TT, and with a minimum order of $10 and shipping of over $5, that's a little expensive for trying out a TT!
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 12:03, lane99 wrote:
At 3:45 of Gary Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT DVD, he says his favorite TT is the one made of "v-eye-nel" (vinyl?), which is flexible and fireproof.

Does anyone know exactly what TT he is refering to?

Yep. Go to http://www.elmwoodmagic.com. Search their TTs and pick the rubber one. That's it. I've got a few. As I understand it, that's the one Gary is using on that 3 DVD set. Not sure who the maker is, though. I think it may be Royal Magic...but don't quote me on that one!
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 15:55, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Jimmy, the Fredi up tip is good, but if you're looking for a perfect match, you might be disappointed. Not many have found a good size or color match the first time, and it seems he doesn't accept exchanges.

You can read reviews about it here

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I got a Fredi Up tip, (a medium, pale caucasian one), and it's a beautiful fit and the closest thing to my actual skin tone than anything else I've got or seen. I've only had it for about a month now, but I absolutely LOVE that TT!
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 17:39, Bendy wrote:
Yep. Go to http://www.elmwoodmagic.com. Search their TTs and pick the rubber one. That's it. I've got a few. As I understand it, that's the one Gary is using on that 3 DVD set. Not sure who the maker is, though. I think it may be Royal Magic...but don't quote me on that one!

Thanks, but again, shipping of $5.00 for a TT costing $4! Still, it's nice to find a source. Perhaps I can find something else to buy, although I'm financially-challenged at the moment.
SeoMagi
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of SeoMagi
Darwin's Encyclopedia totally changed my perspective. When I first got a thumb tip, I actually viewed it as a limited-opportunity prop. It's currently a staple in my repertoire - I have one in my pocket right now, and every day.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2006-10-16 17:53, SeoMagi wrote:
Darwin's Encyclopedia totally changed my perspective. When I first got a thumb tip, I actually viewed it as a limited-opportunity prop. It's currently a staple in my repertoire - I have one in my pocket right now, and every day.

Ditto. I got a couple of magic kits as a kid and one about 8 years ago. In every case, they were cheap, thin and didn't fit well. I discarded them as useless for anything but vanishing a silk...and with the ones I had that were practically see-through, I didn't even think that was feasible. I'm not so sure when the turn-around occurred, but it was within the last three years or so. I started carrying a TT in my jacket pocket. Then I bought the Darwin DVD set and I was glued to the set through all three DVDs the night they came in the mail. Starting that next day, I have carried a TT everywhere I've ever gone. ...Work, church...even in a swimming pool. The possibilities are endless. And just when I think I can't learn anything else, I see another video with a different theory on handling or think of some new twist of an old application and I'm off and running again with creativity.

Just a little over a year ago, I was discussing some tricks I was working on with another magician friend of mine. One of them involved a TT. He made the comment that it was good that I came up with a way to use a TT other than vanishing a silk because, (in his opinion), the TT isn't good for much else and at least I would get my money's worth out of it. He found them useless. A few weeks ago, I was vacationing in his home town and spent quite a lot of time with him, (we are good for each others' creativity...like iron sharpening iron). We were taking turns doing illusions for the wait staff in a restaurant and I did a bill switch. Though he had seen Copperfield do the same thing on television 20 years ago, he hadn't seen it done up-close before and was just as floored by it as the wait staff I was performing it for. He knew how it was done...but he'd never seen it done so smoothly close-up and he'd never bothered to learn it. He asked me to teach it to him. After spending a week with me, he has changed his opinion on the TT, as well.

Vanishes, productions, torn/ripped/burned/cut/broken and restored effects, feats of mentalism, bill switches...the possibilities are endless. If you're a magician and you don't carry a TT with you at all times, then it is my personal opinion that you're missing out on a world of amazing magic at your literal fingertips.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Milbourne Christopher had a couple of books out well before Gary Darwin, titled Tips on Thumbs -- maybe two volumes?

Also, Salvano had some incredible work on the TT available from http://www.stevensmagic.com

Think OUTSIDE the TIP... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Can't believe no one has mentioned the best book out there - "The Tipnician"?

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
323 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
So what is everybody's favorit thumb tip for a bill switch?
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2006-10-22 22:41, Fast Eddie P. wrote:
So what is everybody's favorit thumb tip for a bill switch?

Classic Vernet or even a Vernet Soft, (the Vernet soft TTs are "soft" enough to be comfortable, but hard enough to do the bill switches well. ...And they have a slightly larger load area than the classics). In fact, the only time I use a classic Vernet is specifically for the bill switch. If you're going to use the TT for any other effects in addition to the bill switch, I'd recommend the Vernet Soft. If you just want to do the bill switch, then go with the Vernet Classic.

I also like the Thumbs Up! hard TT for bill switches...but I like to flash my hands as empty and that particular one is quite a bit darker than my own skin tone, so it sticks out to me, (though I've never gotten caught). The Thumbs Up! one is made of PVC and has 'pores' on it; which allows you to apply stage makeup to the TT to match your own skin tone. The cost of that particular TT and the hassle of applying the makeup isn't worth it. ...So I stick to the Vernets for bill switches.

Is that too much info???
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
323 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
Not at all...thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » New to Thumb Tips (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL