The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Seeing through a Woman (Disembodied Princess) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Quote:
On 2007-07-29 19:17, r1ch-oxford wrote:
Hi Guys

Have a look at Russ Stevens version of this illusion (Link Below). It's fantastically well built by the looks of it. I also love Russ's presentational idea of it being an escape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKB7m5bHFw

Rich

that's a cool presentation, but is it me or is the head not very visible on this version? Either the prop is so far upstage that the "neck blade" blocks the face or its just poor lighting or bad camera angles. I think there needs to be more emphasis on the head in his version -- you can barely see it.
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
Quote:
On 2007-07-30 06:39, JoyJoy wrote:
Julian - what is about yours? Did you finish it?
Or didn´t you? If not - what where the reasons - changing assistants, no adequate stages, building probs,... ?

I ended up going with something else. I was limited for time and I knew that I would want to build it properly, including the "top bit". My show had too many "dramatic" illusions, so I lost a few and replaced them with more intimate stuff, including my Home Video Prediction (way cheaper and more audience-friendly).

I may still build a Disembodied. I am working on plans to replace the box with a metal frame, with a neck collar and wrist shackles. My version would have the shirt whipped away, leaving the head, hands and legs. Still trying to figure out a few logistics, though. Heck, if Copperfield can take 2 years to design an illusion, I should be allowed at least 15! Smile
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Russ, Peter Hart is a good builder! He built one of my impales and Wellkington built the harness for it.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Just for your information on the head..

it's WAY harder than it looks...

and it's what I do for a living... not magic heads specififcally.. but makeup and makeup FX in general.

I'll do heads, hands, feet and other body parts for magicians if they need them..

I'll travel to you.. or you can come to me for castings..

http://www.makeupguy.com
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi makeupguy,

I'll second that.

Getting a good head makes or breaks this illusion and I've never liked the wearing sunglasses routine... why??? The head that I used was made by Madame Taussauds in London and was done from a life cast. The head was only half shaped and every hair was put into the head separately (it even had eyebrow and eyelash hair)! The video on YouTube of my version was shot in one take and was part of a live TV show, hence the lighting.

Best,
Russ
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Here's a nice idea by Stephen Mulhern on Tricky TV...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JB-DWEV1owY

Mark
Mark Daniel
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
Quote:
On 2007-07-31 06:01, russ stevens wrote:
Hi makeupguy,

I'll second that.

Getting a good head makes or breaks this illusion and I've never liked the wearing sunglasses routine... why??? The head that I used was made by Madame Taussauds in London and was done from a life cast. The head was only half shaped and every hair was put into the head separately (it even had eyebrow and eyelash hair)! The video on YouTube of my version was shot in one take and was part of a live TV show, hence the lighting.

Best,
Russ

I saw your performance when it was broadcast - loved it. The head is immaculate. No need for sunglasses. Great performance, Russ.

Julian
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

I remember seeing Russ's version on Tricks N Tracks, a programme on CBBC, a number of years ago. I may be wrong but wasn't the same prop also used by Wayne Dobson for A Kind Of Magic?

Mark
Mark Daniel
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
I have a version recorded where Paul Daniels performs it and opens up the illusion all way round not just the front!

Must upload it.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Harry H,

Is that the version where they were dressed as Red Indians and he shot an arrow through the space into a target that was being held behind?

Mark
Mark Daniel
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
Was that When Daniels performed it using the old Kalanag prop and routine? I remember one year he ended most his shows recreating some very old routines.

Matt
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
Jim Steinmeyer designed a great version for Doug Henning that was surrounded. I think Paul Daniels' performance may have been similar.
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Quote:
On 2007-08-02 11:40, Irish_matt wrote:
Was that When Daniels performed it using the old Kalanag prop and routine? I remember one year he ended most his shows recreating some very old routines.

Matt

It was quite old I guess,but then it was the 80's when he did it..so..
I wil upload it to youtube at some point.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Quote:
On 2007-08-02 05:53, magicmarkdaniel wrote:
Harry H,

Is that the version where they were dressed as Red Indians and he shot an arrow through the space into a target that was being held behind?

Mark

Not the version I saw.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
As I said I would here is Paul daniels version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Za3DOm-9s
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Similar to Doug's surrounded version without the stairs.

It was in one of Jim's books, and republished in a magazine more recently.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Seeing through a Woman (Disembodied Princess) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL