The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Howard Thurston (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Hope this is the right place to ask this. Can anyone here recomend any good books on the life of Howard Thurston? I was looking through some old magic magazines and read a couple of articals about him. Don't know why he sticks out in my mind more than others but I would like to read more about him. Thanks for any help.

Steven
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
There is a book by George Boston that has a section on Howard and Harry Thurston...
Its an old book, but lots of good info.
Best Regards,
James
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Thnaks James, I will look for that book.

Steven
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
The book is called INSIDE MAGIC, by George Boston, and was published in 1947 by the Beechurst Press. It's a good back-of-the-house look at various large full-evening shows.

A quick search on the Advanced Book Exchange, a used book database, shows 9 copies available at various used bookstores around the country, at pretty good prices. See http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear......sortby=2

Good Luck! SETHB
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Thanks SethB for the link. It is a good place to go.

Thank you

Steven
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Howard Thurston released his own bio called Our Magic. It was reported to have been written by himself, and Jane.
It can be found in the used market, but is pretty rare. There was also another book that came out several years ago. I do not remember the title, but contact Phil Temple, he offers quite a bit of material on his web site.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Thanks 61magic, I will do just that. Don't really know why the intrest in Thurstone other than learning more of the history of the greats.

Thanks

Steven
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
If you want some real hardcore information on Thurston, get a hold of "Jarrett"....
Guy Jarrett was involved with Howard Thurston in one way or another for much of his career, and ultimately didn't have very nice things to say about him, but if you want a Thurston perspective that a bio written by his wife probably wouldn't offer, Jarrett will certainly give it to you.

"The Complete Jarrett" is available on Jim Steinmeyers website. Steinmeyer did the annotations to Jarrett's original book.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Thanks silverking. I will look into that.

Steven
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Thurston's biography was called, "My Life of Magic". I found my copy on ebay. There is also a set of 2 Volumes on Thurston that I think were written by Robert Olsen, I think. I don't have them in front of me so I can't tell you the name. If you can get a hold of The Howard Thurston Illusion Show Workbooks there are some amazing photographs of Thurston, Jarret and others, and ALL of his illusions.
The Jarrett Book has already been mentioned, it's well worth it!
I do think there was another Thurston bio by his daughter Jane, not sure what that one was called, it might have been Our Life of Magic, not sure.
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
The book that Phil Temple put out in 1989 was called OUR LIFE OF MAGIC. Thurston's book was called MY LIFE OF MAGIC. The Temple book is out of print.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Thanks for the posts. I am going to Seattle this weekend and will look for the books at the magic shop.

Thanks

Steven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Howard Thurston (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL