The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Parents Videotaping (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jimo
View Profile
New user
Bristol
18 Posts

Profile of Jimo
Do most of you allow video taping at a Kids show? If not how do you "tactfully" handle bringing up the subject and what do you do if they try to do it anyway----Cheers!---Jimo
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
I've never had a problem with it personally.

If concerned about your secrets, ask them to video tape from the front only, to reduce angle problems.

Or, ask them not to video tape the show, but you'd be ok if they video taped the portion that includes the birthday person. Make sure his routine does not have any technical moves that may be detected, etc.

just my thoughts,

j.
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
if they're going to spend the time to frame by frame a video tape they could just as easily spend the time surfing the net. We sometimes need to face the fact that our "secrets" aren't that hard to discover for the motivated person. All we can really do is make it so that the time in effort filters out most people.
After all if they were kept THAT secret you wouldn't know any of them would you?

~Spiff
tkuhns
View Profile
Regular user
Kirksville, Missouri
134 Posts

Profile of tkuhns
I always let parents videotape. One of the highest compliments is if a repeat customer, who didn't videotape your first show, asks to videotape your second.

That happened to me once. For a birthday party, I did the vanishing milk (milk-pitcher) effect, transforming the milk into confetti. Apparently, it made a big effect -- the same family invited me to do an outdoor show for their block party. When I brought out the newspaper and started making the cone, I saw her immediately run across the yard with her videocamera to try and get a different angle on the trick.

I noticed, and she was far enough away that I just changed my body position. She wouldn't have seen much else anyway, but I did hear her say to a friend, "Ooh, this is our favorite trick." Made me feel great!
Jimo
View Profile
New user
Bristol
18 Posts

Profile of Jimo
I usually let them tape if its a kidshow---although I have heard of tapes making the rounds at Birthday Parties instead of hiring a Magician---You can't really believe that people would be that CHEAP---but--it takes all kinds--------Cheers!---Jimo
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
What's wrong with parents wanting to video their kids having a good time with an entertainer they are paying good money for? I've only had one party in 25 years where I had my suspicions there was an entertainer trying to 'pick something up' - and if it's the one I think it is he didn't make much of it!! Chill out - it's the kids they are interested in! We also warm to the thought of the thousands upon thousands of family albums we must be in now spread all over the world - and I guess we'll still be there long after we've been planted! Remember, it ain't what you do it's the way that you do it - so they can't copy you as an individual. Surely kids would rather watch Tom and Gerry at a party than some video of another 'rich kids' party with an entertainer. I think the general public's interest in how magic tricks work (excepting the dreaded 9 to 12 year old male!!) is probably on a par with the workings of a gas cooker or air conditioner. Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I could not care if they tape me. when they ask I normally say yeah no problem as long as you don't sell copies or send it to "you been Framed!"
Phillip
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
138 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
I agree with Ace and Phillip. I think it is very tacky to tell a parent he can't video tape an event in their own house, particularly if their child is in the finale of the show. The parents are usually in the back anyway so there are typically no angle problems. Plus, once you have gone, the tape serves as an advertisement for your show and could lead to a future booking by a sibling or attendee of that show.

Telling a parent they cannot video tape only creates unneeded stress for the parent who is probably already stressed out hosting the party.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Let them tape, by all means.
After all, they hired a LIVE magician, so even viewing the tape at another party is not going to satisfy the kids.
(And, while the parents are paying you, it's the kids you have to satisfy!)
One would have to be a pretty bad magician (although, Lord knows, there are enough of THEM around!) to expose anything on a home videotape.
tkuhns
View Profile
Regular user
Kirksville, Missouri
134 Posts

Profile of tkuhns
Not only that, but I'm afraid most people who shoot home movies are pretty bad at it, so I can't imagine the tape would be interesting enough to be shown for entertainment at another party.
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I have it in my contract that there is to be no taping without my consent. When asked I always tell them that I don't care if they tape the kids and the part of the show that involves their child, but I'd rather they did not just put the cam on a tripod and let it go.
I have never had a parent complain.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3730 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Well, Shadow, then we're in the minority together. Maybe we can start a club. My contract says the same as yours. I let 'em do still pics, and even video the parts featuring the birthday kid, but not the whole show. My intro music/voice over even says (best announcer voice): "NO VIDEOTAPING WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN CONCENT OF THE PERFORMER", and still, there's the guy in the front row with his camera at the festival, oblivious to the LOUD voice on the speakers....sigh...

Steve Thomas
Zorak
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland, USA
114 Posts

Profile of Zorak
I encourage video taping of my show. I don't care if they tape the entire show. I've been doing basically the same show for over a decade (with embellishments and improvements). Guess what? I keep getting invited back.
It's not my fee it keeps going up every 2 years. ($150 to ?, per hour)
Maybe it is because the customer likes me and feels they get more than their money worth. It is not a boast, just the avenue you new performers need to get on.
I'm now doing shows for generations of families...how delightful. Some of these people have silent movies of my show entertaining them when they were kids. (Have I really put on that much weight?)
Part of my selling point is "Grab a Memory that will Last Forever!"
Don't be afraid of losing shows because of video taping. They can tape the world's greatest magicicians right off their own tv!!!
You know what, I think you and I are not that good that we have anything to worry about. Smile
Magic is in the hearts of children from 1 to 101
Please check out my Website: kiddiekazam.com
FREE ORIGINAL CLIPART FOR MAGICIANS & CLOWNS
PROP DESIGNS
MAGIC CARTOONS all drawn by Zorak
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
I'm not sure why I don't want them to tape it, I just know I don't. I too have been doing the same basic act for a number of years, and continue to enjoy great success with it. It has nothing to do with exposing secrets or anything like that, I just think it adds to the professionalism of the act. If you go see DC you can't take your camera so why should you expect to be able to tape me. Now I'm no DC, but I have been doing this for over 30 years and I think I have a pretty good grip on what works and what don't with my audiences. My fees are in the higher range for the area, and I think my clients appreciate the fact that I bring a “Total Professional Package” to them.

Just my 2/100 of a buck.

Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I never allow the taping of any of my shows as videos are admissable as evidence
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
When I do stage shows, no taping is allowed. However, when I do birthday parties, taping is allowed...no questions asked. The parents want a copy of their birthday child and the fun he is having with the magician. They couldn't give a rat's behind about the secrets. Besides, I've gotten a number of bookings based on friends seeing the video tape.

My contract specifically states "You may take videotape and/or flash pictures of the performance, as long as it is not used for commercial purposes." I've never had a problem.
Shaun
View Profile
New user
Durban - South Africa
11 Posts

Profile of Shaun
I have been asked if my show may be video taped - and agreed - I did however request a copy which they agreed (I supplied a blank tape). It was an excellent opportunity for me to see myself performing from the audience. You can then run through the tape afterwards and identify bad spots in your act which can then be refined.

Shaun
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Great idea, Shaun.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
tkuhns
View Profile
Regular user
Kirksville, Missouri
134 Posts

Profile of tkuhns
Consistent videotaping of almost every show I've ever done (my dad ran the camera back-in-the-day) has done more for improving my performance than anything else.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
When I am doing a kid show, which I dont do very often anymore, I allow them to tape. I have seen it always as "extra present" of some sort. But they are the only performances I allow to be taped.
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Parents Videotaping (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL