The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best linking rings? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I can only speak to 3 Ring Circus. This effect is really great, but even if all the rings are "examined," the specatator's can only be left with one possible explanation and it's correct: one of them has a hole in it. I stopped using this routine several months ago just because I didn't find it was a strong a piece of magic as the handling was worth.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Is that really stopping you, Brian? With that logic you shouldn't do cups and balls because after all, the magician HAS to be hiding a ball somehow. Or we shouldn't do zig-zag lady because the lady's body can't REALLY be in three pieces.

No Brian, the magic is not you convincing your audience that you are doing the impossible. The real magic is in transporting your spectator to a different place for a moment. In other words, entertaining them. I shoot for nothing else and I've discovered that if you give the audience half a reason to believe that magic really happens then they will follow you on your merry journey.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I agree with RikBrooks;

It seems you're saying (and I could be very well wrong) and I've been there; that you're having doubts on a particular effects impact, based on the simplicity of the effect?

In context I noticed that you said, 'because one of them has a hole in it.' Pretty simple. A ring that has a hole in it- base it around an a presentation that's well rehearsed and choreographed- and then you'll have a good piece of magic.

Seems like your prejudging your audience. Thinking that they would automatically jump to the conclusion that- 'oh he's using a ring' that has a hole.' You could easily put in false shows; to rule out those possibilities.

If the handling as described for the effect didn't seem natural for you- that's the point where you make the effect yours. Create a new presentation or handling. I think some of the best pieces of magic are simple in nature. The methods used in magic; most are a piece of cake. Sword box comes to mind. All is a matter of perception in my thinking.

If it's not the handling that you could change- change the presentation. As Rik mentioned- it's about the moment. Entertainment.

But anyway- I probably took that way out of context and all. Back to the original post question though- I put in a vote for the Owens Linking Ring set. Best there is, the ones I use, and you'll never have to get another set most likely. Highly recommended! The quality is amazing!

Spend good money now; so you won't be disappointed later...

All the best and happy holidays,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I agree that magic is all about the entertainment. What I meant was that in a close-up environment, I do not find the 3 Ring Circus to be a strong enough piece of magic to be worth the effort and the switches etc. Other ring sets such as the Ninja Rings which I do not own but I have used and seen performed, and of course stage linking rings are an entirely different story. There's something beautiful about the classic linking rings that I find missing with 3 Ring Circus. It might be the nature of how small they are. Still, just one man's opinion.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Well Brian, I misunderstood you entirely. Based on what you just said I encourage you to try the Ninja Rings. In fact, I do very well with a normal 5" set of rings. They only cost about $15 or so but I've not found anything with the Ninjas that I can't do with those. In fact, I can do more with those because there are more rings.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best linking rings? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL