The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first live performance (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1608 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Dear all,

I am happy to announce that, last night, I experienced my first live performance to my collegues in a dinner meeting.

Before that, I was able to show one or two of my collegues my Ambitious Card Routine. Even though, selected card jumps up to the top of deck, 3 times only, my collegues were freaked out and called me 'magician' ever since.

Last night, some collegues urge to see my magical performance before dinner start. I start my usual Ambitious Card Routine, however, some male collegues did not seem so impressive by brought the selected card to the top of the deck. Then I performed the Neato card locator as published in other web site. Since that was my first performance and did not pratice much beforehand, I found the selected card second time.

Afterwards, I start performed the dunbury aces followed by Henry Christ's Fabulous Four Ace trick. My collegues were amazed to the effect and all I received were applause and positive feedback.

I reserved Club Sandwich, and Sctoch & Soda for next time when they need a performance.

Live performance really observe the effect of a trick. Ambitious card were over 'watched' by audience since David Blaine's performance. I wholeheartly love ambitious card routine but last night made me reconsider my presentation on that.

Just want to share my experience and I will tell you all how I doing in my next performance.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2972 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Congratulations A C F,
It's always a good thing to get the first show under your belt. It's also a positive experience in that you are already starting to rethink your routines and trying to figure out how to better yourself. Now, I'll bet you can't wait to do another show, and I'll bet you are motivated to practice all the more. I'm happy for you..
David Paul Smile
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
Congratulations!

I give it a week before you have your own TV special! Smile Smile Smile Smile

-All in Fun-

-jlareau
:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
Ambitious Card Freak, wearn't you nervous? I performed some tricks for new people that I didn't know and my hands were shaking and I droped them during a false shuffle.
I couldn't do anything at that moment so just did one card trick and went to my TT hope this feeling won't come back Smile

Niels
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Congrats on your first performance. It sounds like you did really well. Keep practicing, rehearsing and performing. It won't be long before your rep as a magician is established. Secondbaseman, here's what I do when I get nervous: I focus on a flawless performance. I picture in my mind everything going smoothly, and at the end a standing ovation (or at least applause.) It usually calms me down.
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
cheeto4567
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of cheeto4567
When I get nervous, I just ask the audience to wear tin foil. That way it's almost like performing in front of a mirror. Smile
wildmind
View Profile
New user
New York
15 Posts

Profile of wildmind
I could completely relate to the shaking hands. I get that way quite a bit when I perform coin magic with lots of sleights. Smile
dsnowmon
View Profile
New user
Ohio's North Coast
63 Posts

Profile of dsnowmon
Congratulations Ambitious Card Freak, Just the first of many I'm sure.

regards,

dsnowmon
Maynooth
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
105 Posts

Profile of Maynooth
Ah, the nerves, what is their purpose? The more you perform, the less they annoy you. Keep on keeping on and when you have convinced yourself that it is working well they only come back on special occasions just to remind you that they are still there.

Gotta love 'em
Maynooth
The race is long and in the end it is only with one's self.
Florian Rago
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincolnshire
202 Posts

Profile of Florian Rago
WELL DONE ACF, it's great fun isn't it, performing.
By the way, nerves are what fuel your ambition NOT to fail.
Without them you have no fear of failure because for me, nerves are, fear of failure.

Florian
EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
I like your advice cheeto, I'll recommend it to anyone feeling too nervous Smile
"Poetry is the Magic of Lies,
Magic is the Poetry of Lies" - Jean Cocteau
deuces
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
63 Posts

Profile of deuces
Smile Smile
I 2nd that advice by cheeto!!

I still consider myself pretty amateur with the tricks too since i get pretty nervous with the hands. Pretty crazy to think something like showing a trick shakes ppl (including me) up more than it would say bungee jumping!!

Best advice i keep hearing is to stop thinking so much that you're going to get caught performing the sleight.
"Hockey eh?"
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
I don't really understand chetto's advice...what is a tin foil?
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
HitmanPT:

I don't know what they call tinfoil in Portugal, but it is the thin metallic foil that comes in rolls of paper-like sheets and is used for baking or wrapping food inside. It's surface is reflective, although not as clear as a mirror. If your audience wears clothes made of this substance, you won't feel so nervous--because you are already very accustomed to performing in front of mirrors! (It's a great joke!)

I like the way you guys are thinking ahead to future performances!!!

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
138 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
Quote:
On 2002-11-20 10:55, secondbaseman wrote:
Ambitious Card Freak, wearn't you nervous? I performed some tricks for new people that I didn't know and my hands were shaking and I droped them during a false shuffle.
I couldn't do anything at that moment so just did one card trick and went to my TT hope this feeling won't come back Smile

Niels

Dropping the deck while shuffling. What great misdirection! I'll have to remember that next time. Smile
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
Thanks alleycat! now I know Smile
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
It is pretty nerve racking performing for a large group for the first time. I performed for show and tell for two classes in the fourth grade. All you got to do is practice the moves. And tape yourself doing the routine or get someone to watch. I avoid the mirror because it doesn't give you a good audience angle. I'ts also too hard to focus on doing the trick and how it looks. I'll have to start a discussion on practicing methods....
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
1608 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
It's been a while since my 1st performance.

I did my second tonight. It was a birthday dinner, and I am one of guests. Some teenage there feel boring so I performed some tricks to them.

I recalled that I performed Twisting the Aces, That's it, Biddle Trick, Shapelifter, Ambitious Card, Dunberry Aces, Oil and Water...

I think now I can get magicial experience through performance, rather than watching videos. It is quite interesting that my hands are still shaking a little bit but I do not afraid of performing in front of people 'cause I know that those tricks I did will not have much chance to flash.

Unfortunately, Guy's Twisting the Aces a girl told me that I flashed a card out and I remind her before this is a rehersal and I immediately perform another trick. I hope that my handling is alright and I will keep practice in order to get new tricks to perform next time.

Hope every one of you will find opportunity to perform magic to people in the world.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
ust out of my curiousity..judging from the tricks you perform...you're not really a beginner, aren't you? I mean, no beginners can do that many tricks at one time..but, howcome u say this is your first performance? haven't youever performed before?
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
1608 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Actaully, this is my second. I just continue the thread... that's all.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first live performance (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL