The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How many types of close-up mats are there? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Would appreciate some info on close-up mats ...

How many types of close-up mats are currently sold today? What I mean is the different manufacturers making them - may I have the names of these makers?

In what order would you rank them - in terms of quality?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24231 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's a tall order. There are dozens.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Two of the best mats out there are the Apollo, which used to be made by or distributed by Sterling Magic, I think MAK Magic is the distributor now. The other mat, which I use the most is Dean Dills.

The less expensive mats have a think foam back, the quality mats like Apollo and Dean's have a thick Foam Rubber backing which keeps the pad in place when performing. Both the Apollo and the Dean Dill mats are easily cleaned with some light duty laundry detergent and a warm cloth.

I've been using my Apollo mats for about 8 years now and it still has a lot of life left in it. The Apollo mats come in various sizes, ranging from a round spotlight pad to an Xlarge card workers surface.

I believe the Dean Dill mat is available in one size only.

You can check them out at the Trickery

http://www.thetrickery.com/?nd=full&key=5444

http://www.thetrickery.com/?nd=full&key=6465

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1299 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Ronjo makes the Apolo or Zeus ...i forget right now but they are tops and can be cleaned in the Washing machine.
The gibson pads are nice as well and a little bit larger than the Apollo and Zeus pads. Gibson brand pads will not hold up to the washer though...they shrink or something. Water will ruin the gibson pad.
I would stay away from the cheapy foam pads....they do not wear well with regular use. They tend to fall appart after a short time.

You could always make your own pads...a little felt or Velvet and a piece of wood with either a cotton or foam core is easy enough to put together. I have also seen Eugene Burger use a piece of carpet as a close-up pad and it worked very well. He said he just went to a carpet store and asked for samples ...they gave him samples for free.
Hope that helps out,
Mobius
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That's pretty much what I do. Home Depot has a thick rubber mat used to line wire shelves so small items don't fall through. It works beautifully as a pad under a fabric cover. My fabric is green poker table cloth bought from http://www.gamblersgeneralstore.com
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Kelvin W Sherlock
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Kelvin W Sherlock
The Trevor Duffy Magic Mats have a rubber backing as well.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Hi James,

If you don't want to make your own, and Dean's pads are beyond your spending limit, then do check out the different "performance pads" from Ronjo (six different styles):

http://www.ronjo.com/thestore/mts.html

I believe all but the silk model have the rubber backing.

John Cornelius makes a portable, folding close up "shuffle mat" that looks like a large checkbook until you unfold it. You can get at Denny's magic:
http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=005032

As Kevin Sherlock mentioned, Trevor Duffy's durable mats are also nice:

http://www.magicdojo.com/index.php/actio......icelist/

Hank Lee stocks the Gibson line.

Dean Dills pads though, are things of functional beauty: http://deandill.com/pads.html

It depends on what is important to you: size, portability, durability, price, quality, and/or special features.

Douglas M.
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
I have Dean Dill's production pad and it's awesome. You can check 'em out here

http://www.deandill.com/pads.html
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24231 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The ones I generally use are some I make myself. The local fabric store carries automobile headliner material. I use a straightedge, a carpenter's square and rotary cutter to make them.

They are very inexensive, and they have the advantage of losing wrinkles quickly. The surface is fuzzy but it doesn't have a nap.

It has a soft foam backing about 1/4 inch thick.

If you wish, you can glue this to a piece of board for something more permanent. You can also use this as a base for a velvet pad. Be careful of velvet, though. Some of Daniel Garcia's coin work can be hampered by the grain of the velvet, if you do any of his stuff.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Here are some thread that might help you, James.

The most beautiful Close Up Pad
High Quality Closeup Pads
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Bill, Sam, Douglas M, Kelvin W Sherlock, Dave VanVranken, Mobius, Jake, and walking_liberty for all your tips.

The reason I am asking is I have tried many close-up pads (I may not have tried really good ones yet) but due to the humidity of the climate in my country, many of them do not last.

I am thinking of buying really durable ones - let's say if price is not the problem, what would you guys suggest?

Thanks again in advance for more tips.

James Tong
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
Quote:
On 2006-02-03 03:43, Bill Palmer wrote:
The ones I generally use are some I make myself. The local fabric store carries automobile headliner material. I use a straightedge, a carpenter's square and rotary cutter to make them.

They are very inexensive, and they have the advantage of losing wrinkles quickly. The surface is fuzzy but it doesn't have a nap.

It has a soft foam backing about 1/4 inch thick.

If you wish, you can glue this to a piece of board for something more permanent. You can also use this as a base for a velvet pad. Be careful of velvet, though. Some of Daniel Garcia's coin work can be hampered by the grain of the velvet, if you do any of his stuff.

Whooo hooo, great minds think alike. I picked up a leftover piece of the headliner material for free at a local trim shop. Bill is right it is hard to beat cheap but even harder when its free!
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1299 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Wow if price was no object then I would order one of these:
http://www.questx.com/tables/products.html

Tabman tables and cloe-up pades are not felt they are suede. I like the drawer table as it has a place to put some props.
Later,
Mobius
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
For me I'd go with Dean Dill's pads. They're durable and beautiful. Tabman's tables are a thing of beauty too. Rannie, a Café member from the Philippines uses Pattrick Przysiecki's mats which can be bought directly from Pattrick or at Magic Mirror. I'm pretty much sure the climate in the Philippines isn't that much different from Malaysia.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2125 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-02-04 22:41, Pete Biro wrote:

4,540 if you count the little throw rug mats you can get at Hancocks and Michaels, great for the Indian cups and balls.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the valuable info and tips.

I'll go for the Dean Dill's Pads since it is the unanimous consensus that it it the top of the line. It would also be a real test to see how it would withstand the humidity of the Malaysian climate.

BTW I can't find a link to Pattrick Przysiecki's close-up pad page, his site only highlights his professional performnce services.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Quote:
On 2006-02-06 15:56, JamesTong wrote:

BTW I can't find a link to Pattrick Przysiecki's close-up pad page, his site only highlights his professional performnce services.

Try sending Pattrick an e-mail. Or if you want you can go to Magic Mirror. The pads they sell are the ones that Pattrick makes.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Sam, really appreciate the info.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
You're very much welcome, James.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How many types of close-up mats are there? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL