The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Magic Associations do you belong to? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

filmyak
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
150 Posts

Profile of filmyak
Are there a lot of magician's associations in the U.S.? I'd love an informal poll (a.k.a. - a reply to this topic) Smile on which ones folks here belong to, and what advantages there are in joining.
Thanks!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The two major magic organizations are the International Brotherhood of Magicians (www.magician.org) and the Society of American Magicians (www.magicsam.com).

I belong to both of them.

The advantages of belonging to a large magic group like one of the above include the monthly magazine, monthly club meetings, annual conventions, and many other more specfic benefits; you can find out more on the website of each.

If you are only going to join one, I would make it the one with the most active (and closest) local club.
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
We have a small organization in Portland called the Portland Society of Magicians. They meet once a month and the membership is very high quality.

Also, there is the Pacific Coast Association of Magicians.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
I belong to SAM well actually the SYM sub organization of SAM. However I turned 17 last month so I guess once my membership is up I will be joining SAM as a senior member.
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
Do you have to be or should you be a (pro) magician to join IBM? There is one in my city, but I'm afraid to get involved because I never plan on performing professionally.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
ZeroG,
You certainly don't have to be a pro, or ever plan on being one, to join the IBM.
Of the 15,000 members world-wide, the majority -- the huge majority -- are hobbyists.
There are gifted amateurs, ungifted pros, collectors, historians, writers, dealers, and simply people with a love of, or interest in, magic.
Don't hesitate to approach someone in your local club; go to a meeting or two and see if you like it and the people.
If the answer is "yes", then join the IBM and the local group. (All IBM local Rings require that their members first have national membership.)
You'll need two sponsors but that will be no problem; the national office will supply one and you can almost certainly find one in your local club. If not, let me know and maybe I can help.
Smile
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I belong to the FCM (Fellowship of Christain Magicians) and Escape Masters the first and only escape society world wide.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
dsnowmon
View Profile
New user
Ohio's North Coast
63 Posts

Profile of dsnowmon
zeroG, Peter Marucci hits the nail on the head (as always). try a meeting, you won't be sorry.

regards,

dsnowmon
thanos4182
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of thanos4182
I belong to the International Brotherhood of Magicians.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Magic Associations do you belong to? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL