The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Now I'm in trouble (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I've been doing a few effects around the office and they have been going over fairly well. However, one of my coworkes comes out and says "I'm gonna have you do my kids Bday party." Well, first I thought she was joking, but today she comes in and tells me "I told my son and he's already talking to all his freinds about it..." Time to panick.

It turns out the party is in September, he's turning 7. So much to think about. I certainly have not reached the point that I should be booking shows for money. BUT, if I get on the stick I may be able to get something together by then.

My first instinct is to refer her to a freind, but I don't have any( at least not that do kids magic shows).

Could be a good opportunity to force me to start really performing.

Anyway, excuse the disjointed rambling, but I'm rushing between classes while my students are on break.

Thoughts??

Jim
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Years ago, before I started magicking, a coworker of mine was beginning to do some walk around stuff.
I invited him to perform at my daughter's 7th or 8th birthday.
He gathered the kids on the floor and did
"Sponge Bunnies", "Gem Busters", "Scotch and Soda", "Invisible Deck", "Vanishing Silk (TT)" and I forget what else.
Anyway, it was not exactly a professional show but the kids got a kick out of the tricks.
He didn't ask for money but got to get a feel for performing.

I'm not sure if he performed later on since he left the company and I lost track.

Read the 'Little Darlings' section.
stormchaser
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, AB
200 Posts

Profile of stormchaser
What Jaz said. Just do some tricks, for kids you don't need to be professional.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician.

Don't run when no-one's chasing you.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Make sure that you handle client expectations. Make sure that they know that you don't have a fancy polished show. You don't want them disappointed. It sounds like you really want to do it but are unsure of if you should and if you do, can you pull it off.

Well, as long as you manage your own expectations as well you should be able to give the children a fun time and have some fun yourself.

I would strongly suggest getting 'Mismade Flag' along with a zippered change bag. I was taught a routine for children by the man that sold it to me (Eddie Gardner of Diamond's Magic) that had the kids rolling. If you buy or have the trick and don't have a routine then let me know. I'd be happy to pass it along.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Some might disagree with me here. But I think you have 2 options with this. Option one- since its your first time and you werent really expecting it, let her know that its at no charge. But if she wants and likes the show that she can give you some money. option 2- quote her a price for the show and practice and live up to the price. Now who will be the first to flame me...lol.
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
I did a couple tricks at my son's party last year.

One of the girls attending, as she was leaving, said to him "Now you hafta come to my party. Bring your Dad!"

You're in, mister. Deal with it. Smile Do twenty good minutes for free and kids that age are delighted. So are their parents. Don't stress over it. Relax and let your ha-- um... well, just relax. They're not worried about your double-lift, your half-pass, or your palming skills. They want you to eat the Gummy Worm that you just pulled outta your nose.

Worry more about the stories... jokes... presentation. Relate! Know what Yugi-Oh is... who Jimmy Neutron is... spend an hour at Nick.com.

Teach them a (public domain) trick. You've even got time to learn a few balloon animals. Tell the "A chicken walks into a library" joke, finishing with a balloon frog just in time for the punch line.

Remember, "Do that again!" is a compliment, and not a mandate. "I've got something EVEN BETTER!" is your reply and segue.

You're gonna have a blast.

Congratulations!

-jjg
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Do it.
Take the opprotunity to put together a 20-30 minute show.

Remember that this age group loves magic, but wants to be part of the magic. Your show should involve them.

Be sure to show up to the party looking like a magician (costume, Magic case, etc)

If you want to really WOW them, then play some magical PRE and POST show music.

I agree that you should try to downplay expectations, then completely exceed them.

Good luck, and Have Fun,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Jim - if it's really something that interests you, spend some time in the "Little Darlings" forum for some ideas.

Good luck!
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Remember visual, colorful, and amazing. It cant be too simple, because you said you are dealing with 7 year olds. They aren't that easy to handle. they will be telling you the most complicated things about how you did it. Not too easy, yet not too hard. I wouold say 20 min is good. Make sure you get them laughing, screaming, crying, (well, maybe not crying...) and let them have a good time. Have lots of interactive tricks, involve them. don't make it too complicated. but once again, not too easy, because they will think, (Or will) know how its done. And write/print in on paper. You will probably need to read what the next effect is, and make sure you don't loose it, because it may just be gold. And then you will be all over doing parties for kids. My suggestion: make a routine for adults too when your done the kids show. Then you'll have adults booking you too! -Cory.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Call a local charity and see if you can do a few tricks at a function next month. I find the low pressure of a free show liberating. And the karma couldn't hurt either.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
Go for it!

And remember to have fun with the kids... But be careful, you could find it addicting and you could feel you want do it again, and again, and again...
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2006-02-03 12:24, stormchaser wrote:
What Jaz said. Just do some tricks, for kids you don't need to be professional.

I don't completely agree with you. But either way the kids don't book you, the parents do.
Back to the topic...
I may not perform paid shows but I've performed enough to know that if they even think they know how something works then soon every one there will know their idea. So make sure your routines are well practiced.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Looks like I better spend some more time in the kids section.......

I hadn't planned on charging anything at all, but what about maybe asking the parents to pay for some low price hand out tricks for the kids?

Tks again
Jim
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Jim,

You are being paid a HUGE compliment by the parent who booked you. She is entrusting you to make her child's birthday memorable. That's a big responsibility that I know you will not take lightly. This is an event that the child will likely remember for the rest of her life. She's so excited about it that she's already telling all of her friends - and her party isn't even until September!

This child has preconceived ideas of what a magician should be like. Those are the expectations you need to meet and exceed. In order to do this, you need to understand the psychology of a child. Then you need to design the presentation of your show around that psychological understanding. One of the leading books to understand how and why children react the way they do is David Kaye's book, "Seriously Silly". I would highly recommend this book as a solid starting point in developing your birthday party show.

The other thing you may want to do is pick up the Kidology tapes from David Ginn and one or two DVD's from Terry Herbert. These are some of the leading children's performers and you can learn a lot from them in terms of the tricks they do and the way they manage a child audience.

As for whether or not you should charge for the show, that's a judgment call you need to make. Just don't use the fact of a free show as an excuse to put on a poor show. It doesn't sound like you are the type of person to do this, but I've seen it done before. No only would that hurt the craft, but it would be completely unfair to the child.

Let me know if you need any help along the way. I'll be more than happy to give you any guidance I can.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Thanks for the tips. I'm actually talking to "mom" a lot to find out what her son and his guests are like. Of course, kids can change a lot in a few months time.
I'm wondering about adding some really big finish like a chair suspension for the closer. I won't be charging for this show, but I would hope to get a refferal or two from it. Not sure I can justify the expense, and more importantly, I'm not sure if I can do it well enough and safely by then. I need to find someone with one and check it out.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I have used the Chair Suspension extensively for the last year. It is a tremendous effect that really punctuates a good show. The advantages to the chair suspension are as follows:

1. Portability - it can easily fit into a vehicle and move from show to show
2. Angles - it can be done completely surrounded
3. Set-Up - it can be set up and taken down in seconds
4. Impact - this effect creates a huge impact on the audience

The disadvantages for you to consider may be:

1. Cost - although this is probably one of the most inexpensive "illusions" you can purchase, it is still very expensive as far as kidshow props are concerned. If you are unsure whether you will be performing paid childrens shows on a regular basis, you may want to hold off on this item.

Instead, you may want to look at a more versatile effect such as the production of candy from a Dove Pan. I did this for years (and continue to so so) with great effect. It is a strong production with which to end your show, and the handing out of the candy by a grown up can help buy you the time you need to put away your props.

2. Weight - there are limitations on the weight capacity of the illusion. Although most instructions suggest that it can take up to 120 lbs., I have never used the illusion where the child exceeds 85 lbs. This is to protect the illusion and the safety of the child.

3. Bulkiness - Many kidshow entertainers like to only make one trip from and to the car. With this illusion, it's virtually impossible to do so. There's just too much to carry.

Although this is an easy illusion to perform technically, the actual presentation of the effect requires a thorough understanding of the psychology of the illusion. Never forget that the paramount importance here is the SAFETY of the child. Don't be hesitant to pull the effect out of your show if you ever feel the safety of the child is at risk.

In short, don't feel as though you need to spend a ton of money to produce a good kidshow. The key elements of fun and participation are what will make your show a success. That is brought out by your personality - not your props.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Pinto2
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Pinto2
I think this is definatly good for you. You seem to be like me, know some tricks, know what you like and don't like, and want to get the best affects you can. Well, I find the this thinking leads to one thing... never presenting infront of larger audiences and always learning new things before you really have somthing else totally mastered. However, this april I have a larger show for my school that I must do, and personally I would like more time to practice. Therefore, you, like me, are being forced into preforming before your confortable. What I'm saying is that I think this is good for you, as it is causing you to take the first, and in my opinion hardest, step to becoming a preformer. If this opertunity hadn't come yet, who knows how long it would be untill you preformed.
Daniel
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Well, the latest news is...

The party is a pool party outside :O From everything I've read, that sounds less than optimal. I'm going to try to secure a place to do the show inside if I can. If not, well...... we'll see.
Sergey Smirnov
View Profile
New user
Belgium
70 Posts

Profile of Sergey Smirnov
I have the same problem. The only difference is that my show is in a couple of weeks. And the kids are of age 3-5, hence no card tricks. This worries me, since I am mostly into cards. I can do TT stuff, cutting and restoring rob, one rubber band trick, but that's about it. It won't be a very long show. Smile
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Three to five? Yeeeesh...

D'Lite
Sponge Bunnies
That four mile long paper streamer dispenser thingy
Squeaker
Wand in a wand in a wand in a wand...

Regards,

-jjg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Now I'm in trouble (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL