The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Simon Cowell scouting magicians? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Good point about honest feedback Eric. I once judged an apple pie contest at a local carnival. NEVER again. Twenty pies tasted exactly the same, with almost no spice. There were four interesting stand outs. I had an epiphany: in those 20 boring pies, were 20 moms and grandmas who had the whole family telling them it was the best pie in the world, and no one makes pie like them. They were adequate, but nothing special.

My bigger concern would be the length of auditions. In the Idol format, they never sing a whole song, just part of a verse. It doesn't take long to know if a person can carry a tune. But in magic, you need more presentation time. This format will almost totally exclude mentalists, and focus less on the presentation, more on the 1/2 second visuals. I hope I'm wrong, and that with a smaller talent pool, they can showcase 4-5 minute routines in each episode. But I doubt that will actually happen.

Interesting article by Lance Burton in a recent Genii or Magic Magazine about the Rose Bowl Parade and how he had to keep changing what he was doing based on numerous conditions. Lance can pull off a 1 minute TV trick with no sound. Not many could.
greg frewin
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of greg frewin
I think Eric is definitly right about getting honest feedback. The problem arises with the way the feedback is taken. I constantly get asked to watch someones act and tell them what I think. Years ago I would but it came with arguements and upset people. Now I just say its great. Most magicians cant take the truth and don't get that it will help them if they apply it correctly. You have to suck before you get better. Its the ones who can learn from there mistakes that make it.
Also this contest will have politics in it and I believe very heavy politics. Even organized magic conventions with contests have politics why this competition would be any different. They have way more to gane and way more control. Be aware they are calling pros and asking them to come out. Just some thoughts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Simon Cowell scouting magicians? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL