The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » "fuse" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
Does anyone perform this effect? I need some help.

I bought mine the other day. It is a very cool effect, but I don't like the method of starting the burn. I find glowing wooden matches are inconsistent. The incense works well, but it is not a very common item to use in a performance.

I'm looking for a better way to start the magic. I think a cigarette would work great. Unfortunately smoking is not cool, and it is now banned in bars and restaurants in Alberta.

I know Rick Haslett is makes a flash pen. Would something like this work? What about Jim Pace's ignitor?

Do any of you have any creative ideas to start the "fuse"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Haslett's pen should work. The Ignitor would work in theory, but it might be really awkward trying to get the necessary part to make contact, at least, while everyone's watching.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
Unfortunately cigarettes seem to be the most consistent thing I've been able to find so far, but I think there may be a way to use Pyro-Maniac to start the burn as it uses a battery igniter. I'm ordering it in the next few days so I'll let you know when I get it. A regular windproof lighter might work as well as it uses a coil that resembles a cigarette ember.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
2002 coinguy
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of 2002 coinguy
Where can I order this one ? Thanks
timfox
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of timfox
I get the match to work everytime, but there is something you need to know. I let the match burn about 10 seconds until the head of the match is red hot and then blow it out and IMMEDIATELY touch it to the paper. This has worked for me every time. If you have too small of a match stick, it might not work. Try using the bigger safety matches!

And to answer "2002 coinguy", This effect is made by Visual Magic. Look at their site http://www.visualmagicshop.com. I use this effect a lot. I get consistent results using the piece of incense that came in my package. Visual Magic also has a new frame that ignites the paper while it is in the frame. It is not on their website, but call and ask for David and he will tell you all about it.

I think David has some of the coolest effects. After buying FUSE I purchased his Ulti-Rose and Ulti-Dry Glass. This is a really cool and easy to do effect. I was able to purchase the effect and actually perform it the same weekend. I could have performed it out of the box, but a few days practice is always a good thing.

Back to FUSE, if you don't like incense, try using a punk that is used to light fireworks.
timfox
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of timfox
Oh by the way. David told me that fuse does not ignite off of fire, but rather something that is smoldering. That is why the cigarette & incense work and the match if you do it IMMEDIATELY after. Good luck!
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
The first thing that came to my mind was a punk also. I got a punk and used it when I watched my kids playing little league baseball games. That has been decades ago. I'm assuming they still make them.
katty
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of katty
I have ordered one and it will arrive on Monday. I will post a review.
neoreform
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of neoreform
You have to be so quick with the match. I have trouble getting it to the right position. Any suggestions?
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
On 2006-02-03 11:27, Glenn Alloway wrote:
Does anyone perform this effect? I need some help.

Glenn, I'll bring an Exuro utility with me next meeting, and you bring something prepped with FUSE. And I'll show you how to set that off.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
Thanks for all of the posts.

Wayne, I was out of town for the February meeting, so we'll have to do it at the March meeting. I'm curious about you "Exuro" gimmick, I did a quick google search and could not find anything. Hmmm.

I did know about the punks. I just figured that they were too similar to incense. But I like the fact that they don't stink when you burn them. What would be nice it to find a way to conceal a glowing punk in some kind of ordinary object. Any ideas?

Let me know.

I did end up using the fuse at a show a couple weeks ago. I used incense and it worked very well. It was just a little bit of a stretch to work it into a plausible routine.

FYI, fuse works quite well on ordinary zig-zag rolling papers, instead of white tissue paper that it comes with.
magicforu
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of magicforu
Can it work on newspaper? Thanks.
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
The fuse can work on newspaper, however it will be visible. The fuse leaves a crystal-type substance once it is applied to a paper. You cannot see the cystals on white tissue paper, however it will be noticeable on newspaper.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I cringe whenever I see the price for fuse!
See the first page of Howie Diddit...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I do a similar effect without fire with white crayons - much cheaper. Is that one in in howdidits, Slim?

Steven
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Heaven forbid you should look!...It won't hurt you... The formula is there...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
Wayne, I was out of town for the February meeting, so we'll have to do it at the March meeting. I'm curious about you "Exuro" gimmick, I did a quick google search and could not find anything. hmmm.

I'm bringing one tonight so you'll get a chance to play with it.

You can do plenty with it.
Cups and Balls load
Flaming bible/book
Self-Lighting Match
Igniter for Fuse
Playing card revelation on a playing card with a FUSE similar solution treated playing card.
And much more. Smile

I am currently working on a safe and surefire way to ignite a candle with it right now.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Here a couple of Exuro vids. In the next few days I'm putting up a couple more that I filmed last week.

The Self-Lighting Match
Exuro Cups and Balls Load

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
Wow, this looks great. When and where is this coming out then? Smile

Daz
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
That does look awesome. If it can also light a candle I'm definitely in for one.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » "fuse" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL