The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chalet Magic Sub Trunk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magikev
View Profile
New user
California
18 Posts

Profile of magikev
I'm planning on ordering a Chalet Magic Sub Trunk over the next couple days, and had a question for those of you who own one already. I'm a 6 foot, 200 pound man, and was curious if I am going to have a terribly difficult time fitting inside the trunk or not. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
There is a local magician that has been doing the Chalet subtrunk longer than I have been alive. He is well over 6 foot tall (but he has the build of a microphone stand.) He does a very fast exchange. A lot of what makes the exchange fast is practice and timing. It's about getting the "choreography" right. If you like I can measure the dimensions as well as the size of the t**p of my Chalet trunk. I think you should be fine.

Cris
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Another thing to remember when working out the changeover: learn it slow, but perform it fast. When I first got my subtrunk (similar to a Chalet, but not identical so I cannot give specific information) my assistant and I spent a lot of time working out the moves basically second-by-second. We discovered that the way she gets out and the way I get in are extremely different in terms of body-positions etc.

Once we decided what the best moves would be we began rehearsing them. The first couple of days it could take 20-30 seconds to do, but we were polishing and refining every step for maximum efficiency. Then (and only then) we began working for speed. Initially we rehearsed just the first phase: her getting out. Once we got her up to "lightning speed" it was my turn. Then we spent time only working my part: getting in.

Many bumps and bruises later we worked them together to finalize the moves. All in all, I'd say it had been about 5 days of rehearsal before we got to that point. But even in that short time we were accomplishing things that we thought impossible when we first got the prop.

Really the first things you have to do are learn the individual characteristics of your particular prop, and how it works with your body. A friend of mine has one built to the exact same specs as mine, but when we were working up the routine for his show we discovered that a couple of little things that had worked with mine didn't work with his. But we also discovered a little something about his that allowed something that mine would not. And these were two supposedly "identical" illusions!

Drilling it over and over and over and over and over again is what will help you discover what will and will not work for you!

Good luck, and enjoy performing this spectacular illusion!
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
I own a Chalet Subtrunk. I'm 6 ft. tall around 180 - 185 and had no problem with it.
David Lawrence
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
To me a 200lb man that is 5' would have more problems. Height should not be one.

(Besides, the builder is tall!)

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Whatever you do, don't practice it alone! I once practiced getting into and out of the locked trunk. Wouldn't you know it, the lid jammed and nobody was around to help. I eventually got out, but it would have been a shame to have had to kick the side out of the trunk to free myself!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Also practice the whole routine and not just parts. I'll never forget the time a couple of friends of mine were performing and it became obvious that when the music ran out and she was not dancing that something was wrong. Then the wife tapped on the trunk and said, "John, you have the keys to the locks in your pocket!"

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chalet Magic Sub Trunk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL