The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito box? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stormchaser
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, AB
200 Posts

Profile of stormchaser
I have two questions:
1. I bought this thing called a Loonie Bin from my magic shop, which was a Okito box and a boston box and instructions for a penetration routine. However, I have heard that
Okito boxes are gimmicked, and mine isn't. Is it really an okito box?

2. Where can I learn effects for it?
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician.

Don't run when no-one's chasing you.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Have a look in Bobo's (revised edition) for a detailed discussion of the Okito box.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
404 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
Okito boxes aren't gimmicked beyond their natural symmetry.

There are numerous gimmicked boxes that look like Okito boxes, the boston box is just one example. As Jonathan mentioned, Bobo's revised edition talks about numerous types of gimmicked boxes. Also, David Roth's book, Expert Coin Magic is a great resource for more information. Also, David Neighbors has some really good ideas on how to use a boston box in his booklet "the professional coin box magic of david neighbors". At $25 it's reasonably priced as well.

Dave
earlmat
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of earlmat
David Roth has a great set of Okito boxes. It includes a regular Okito box, the Boston Box, and a box with a "slit" that allows you to retain a coin as you apparently empty the box of its coins. David Roth is an excellent source for Okito routines. Good luck.

Earl
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Roth's Expert Coin Magic would be the best...

Others that are also are:
New Modern Coin Magic (Bobo)
Okito Coin Box Routines (Bey)
Coining Magic (Marlo)
Any of Dave Neighbors stuff is great
The Collected Almanac (Kaufman) There are a few gems in there

That's just some of the sources that I can think of off hand, there's a lot out there though...Good luck in the search!

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC - New Site now LIVE!
cardking
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, Canada
138 Posts

Profile of cardking
The looney bin IS an okito coin box that fits loonies.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7129 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2006-02-05 21:18, David Nelson wrote:
...<- snip ->...David Neighbors has some really good ideas on how to use a Boston Box in his booklet "The Professional Coin Box Magic Of David Neighbors". At $25 it's reasonably priced as well.

Dave

Absolutely!! I just ordered mine, and it arrived FAST! He uses the Buddha Box (Chazpro) Boston Box...the Buddha Boxes are my favorite of all the ones I have. "The Professional Coin Box Magic of Dave Neighbors" will be the best $$$ you've spent on Coin Box magic (besides the prop itself, LOL)!

Highly recommended!

Doug
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
I would go with David Roth Coin Magic Made Easy Okito Box DVD. or get his book.There is a huge section just on Okito box moves.
I just put this one up on MVD. This is one of the routines on the DVD. But that's not why you should get it. its mainly for the moves he teaches.
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=10395
I hope that helps
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-08 21:17, Dougini wrote:
He uses the Buddha Box (Chazpro) Boston Box...the Buddha Boxes are my favorite of all the ones I have.
Highly recommended!

Doug

Doug I love my Buddha Boxes too, they are a joy to handle. I wish they were big enough to take an e-[ but other than that, they are as close to a perfect box as I have seen
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4901 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Dave And Doug,
Thanks A lot Man! Hopely Chazpro Is going to be comeing out With A DVD Of mine on The Magnetic Buddha Box! If that ever get Around to It! It's been In the can for A year or two! I also have a Few books Left! Smile!

Best David Neghbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3793 Posts

Profile of Julie
For the record, some older "plain" Okito Boxes were made with a weighted bottom to facilitate "the move".

Julie
Manny
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Manny
Good resources for learning about the Okito box are:
Bobo's book. Also, David Roth's book, Expert Coin Magic
and Roth's Coin Magic Made Easy Okito Box DVD.
Of course the magic club you belong to is there to
help you, all you have to do is ask.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I would absolutely love the DVD on the Magnetic Okito Box. Loved David's routine that comes with it.

Looking forward to that!

RevJohn
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Oh, and on the DVD/VHS section, someone had Chad Long's Magic Video for sale, which has a great routine for the Okito Box/Boston Box. Good stuff.

RevJohn
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
On 2007-01-16 19:04, David Neighbors wrote:
Hi Dave And Doug,
Thanks A lot Man! Hopely Chazpro Is going to be comeing out With A DVD Of mine on The Magnetic Buddha Box! If that ever get Around to It! It's been In the can for A year or two! I also have a Few books Left! Smile!

Best David Neghbors
The Coinjurer

David,

Is that magnetic or shimmed? I prefer the shimmed myself.(Jo-Pro)
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4901 Posts

Hi Kingstardog,
It Magnetic! Myself I like that better! That way I can use a shimmed coin! And I think Thay sound more like A real coin! ( Todd do anyway Smile!)
That way it's easy to comb. them with sight of hand! But you could use any of the routines with A Shimmed box and a Magnetic coin!
and thanks Revjohn. Also If you want the DVD to come out Quicker You mite E-Mail Chazpro and ask about it! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Is it necessary to have good coin sleight skills to use the Okito box?

Thanks
Keith
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
I would have to say yes you do need good sliight skills because the box is not gimmicked, and even the gimmicked boxes are not really gimmicked in a way that would aid you if you aren't good with slight of hand. It's when you combine slight of hand WITH the boxes that produce amazing effects. Even better if you hand the box out and it us just a brass cylinder. The nice things about the box is they can make slight of hand easier due to the fact that you can hold out coins, and load coins without the spectators knowing and having your hand completely empty.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4901 Posts

Yea To do Mine or Roth stuff you do! Smile!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
I just wanted to ask if anyone has ran across any slit box ideas/routines...Beside what D. Roth coves?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito box? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL