The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Magicians and history (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
"History has already pretty much relegated most of what we call 'classic magic' to the games and children's section of our cultural library..."

Response: Even vis-a-vis the general public, Jonathan, that's not entirely true. And it certainly isn't true for literature produced within magicdom.

"No idea how to praise the recent trend in dumpster diving to find old posters and props that have no performing use and then to leave wonderful inventions to languish in private museums where no muggles will visit and come away amazed. This simply speeds the process of all that wonderful and insightful work done in the past becoming obsolete, impertinent and contextually meaningless."

Response: Some interesting thoughts, Jonathan. Are you a proponent of public institutions owning apparatus? I'm not sure what you mean by dumpster diving, but whatever that is, it ain't a recent trend, my friend!

Yet, I think I get the gist of your gab, and am sympathetic to your laments. So, as a long-time student of the art, when will you make your historical contribution in print? And don't tell me you're still learning - we're all still learning. Historical knowledge cum understanding is an accretive process, and contributions by us little guys is crucial to its progress.

Meminisse Magicam....
Vince Hancock
View Profile
New user
Bear Lake, Michigan
31 Posts

Profile of Vince Hancock
Hi everyone,

I have to confess that I'm less interested in collecting magic material than learning from it. I don't have the cash, in any case!

I'm located in a rural area of northern Michigan. There's a small group of us that are trying to help each other improve, both in terms of performance and history/appreciation.

We're desperately trying to book Edwin Brush, but we can't get ahold of him. Does anyone know his agent's cell phone number?

In the meantime, are there any videos you'd recommend, for a sense of how powerful performances can be? I'd like to show my friends a couple of examples of magic's potential.

Best,

Vince Hancock

vhhancock@earthlink.net
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Edwin is no longer booking shows.
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Vince,
If you can get a hold of Don Allens Magic Ranch series,you will not disappointed. These tapes feature many of the greats...It is a good place to start.
Best Wishes,
James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Magicians and history (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL