The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Producing a Rat in street performance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MOJave
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MOJave
I was thinking of producing a rat in street performance, but to be honest have NO idea how to accomplish that. I have never used livestock before and don't want to hurt them or be cruel..... any ideas?

Christopher
Be Entertained...
www.christopherbisset.com.au
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
How about a dragon production box or a small drawer box
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Balloon to bunny or the circus wagon production.

Take care,

Bryan
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Any of the above would be fine. But remember, rats are smart and if there is a way to get out, they will find it. I have used rats a few times and once, he was sitting on top of the prop when I went to pull it out of my table. If the rat is a pet and trust you, then you both should have lots of fun.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
I had often used a rat in my chick pan to great enjoyment.With large cups, or mice, you could product it in a cups and balls climax.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
You could always just make the rat a final load for a C&B's routine or a Chop Cup Routine...

-Vinnie
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Three things come to mind.

#1- How large do domestic rats get? Street rats get pretty large!

#2- Are you really able to 'train' a rat.

#3- Don't rats bite more than other rodents? Will a Vet give a rat shot's like they do dogs in case someone (yourself included) get's bit?

I've seen rats on the street and they are pretty mean. I'll be interested to hear how things turn out.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Christopher,

First let me commend you for realizing that every creature is important and kudos to you for stating you don't want to harm them in any way. While I don't have experience with rats, my sister owns one. From what I've read and observed, they are extremely trainable.

I'm speaking of domesticated rats however, and not wild rats as those would be too difficult to handle.

Here's a site that may answer some of your questions and best wishes to you.

http://www.petratscanada.com/

Chrystal
MOJave
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MOJave
Thanks for some of your feedback. It is a domesticated rat and its my girfriends brothers. I just don't want to be cruel to it and stuff it in a pocket or something. I really have NO IDEA about using animals. don't know any methods whatsoever as ive never done it before. Domesticated rats rarely bite and are trainable (but I didn't know you had to train it)

How do you keep it on your body without hurting it and without people seeing it and without it moving around??
Be Entertained...
www.christopherbisset.com.au
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Check your Private Messages for some basic resources that might help.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Rats are extremely trainable animals.

Now, surprisingly enough, the males seem to have a better temperment about them, but, they can get very large in size. Also, the males carry less allergens than the females... so you will find yourself sneezing less with a male.

One thing you have to be careful for, is how you handle them. They are fragile animals. To grab them for a load without looking, could cause them some harm

Also, when they get happy, they tend to get excited. So if you form a good bond with your rat, when he/she sees you, there is a chance she/he will get very hyper.

Other than that, rats love to clean their adopted parents, and sit on their shoulder, or in their shirt pocket.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Stevenleeaugust
I have worked with rats and there are many ways to safely use them in magic but I stopped because of them constantly pooping
When it happens its funny but totally destroys the effect I was doing,
Poop was all they remember, talked about and laughed at, not the magic. As for close up I can get away with roaches, spiders and snakes but if I am working an event, lets say a cocktail reception and a rat poops it would gross the people out. But is it funny ….
Steve
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Criss Angel did this on on eof his earliear tv specials, he used a napkin and a white holder to put it in. and he would make the steal as his hand dropped to his side for a moment. Its very easy to do. Check it out if you can its on the Supernatural special.

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
edwin
View Profile
New user
TX
18 Posts

Profile of edwin
I owned one for two years. Very docile creatures, provided you get one young from the pet store--not the streets. She never bit me even once. Very lovable. I'm considering buying another or two because of all the productions I could do with them using standard equipment--when bunnies are too big and mice are too small (and mice tend to jump out of your hands, unlike rats).

For instance, imagine a production from inside a silk cabby or a mirror glass transformation, or a dove take-apart box (when you don't have a huge area for an aviary), or heck, from inside the box using a joker tube. And of course the responses from the kiddies to live animals--priceless!

To get away from the poop thing, wear black and use a black tablecloth over your magician's table. Problem solved.
professorsnape
View Profile
New user
nr Toronto Canada
8 Posts

Profile of professorsnape
A word of caution, as trainable as they are, and fairly intelligent, you'll loose a lot of potential customers, especially moms, using rats, rabbits are cuddly - rats ain't. A friend of mine used a chinchilla and some parents still complain 'cos they thought it was a big rat!
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Get a box of kleenex, cut off a wall, load the rat in a white bag with tissue glued to it, steal it from inside the box as you perform paper balls over the head.

G0THIKE
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24052 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I stop using rats because of what Edwin mentioned above. They always poop so often. Everything gets messy. Rats don't bite like people think they do. MOJave, I can understand what you are trying to do is clean and understanding. But the question is how whould the spectators look at you for producing a rat. They make think you just got it from the alley and be frightened to come near you or shake your hand. Good luck.
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
I would say either a chick opan, small drawer box, dargon production box or somthing else that is just large enough to fit the load for the effect you are trying to accomplish
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Producing a Rat in street performance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL