The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Minidisc to IPod (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
I'm thinking about buying another minidisc player for a backup to my existing one. I would also like a use it to duplicate my discs. After hearing so much about an IPod, I started wondering if I should get one instead of another minidisc.

I know nothing about an IPod, so here is my questions:

What type inputs and outputs does an IPod have? Can I duplicate a minidisc directly to an IPod?

This is strictly for use in magic shows, so do you think I should just stick with minidisc and but another, or have one of each?

Thanks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2113 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
The iPod has a headphone jack and a proprietary "dock" connector, it's thin and flat.

You can't load music directly from MD to iPod. All content is added to the iPod through your PC or Mac.

The iTunes software which interfaces with iPod supports several audio formats, such as MP3, AIFF(Wav), Apple Lossless, and AAC. There may be another that I've missed.

If your MD files on the computer are already MP3 or WAV, all you have to do is add them to the iTunes library, and then add the songs to the iPod.

If your MD files are ATRAC, then you will need some other 3rd party software to convert your audio.

If you're already comfortable with MD and it is doing what you want it to do, another MD for use as backup should be fine.

If the various file converting which I've described (Not really as bad as it sounds) sounds like more than you want to deal with, you may not want to do iPod.

MiniDisc players are less expensive than iPods, but iPods offer the factor of having one more type of interface with your venue.

As McBride recommends, have your show music on MD, cassette, cd, etc.

With iPod you can store your songs as data on the hard drive as well as in the normal iPod interface, making them accessible on any computer, which could be helpful in some situations.

While I love iPods, and think you could get good use out of one, for the great difference in cost, the fact that you already use MD, and that you are looking for a backup rather than a new way of doing things, a second MD is probably the way to go.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2219 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I, too, have been interested in getting an Ipod for use in my shows. I have been using Sony MD for several years now and it has never failed me. Maybe, if you have the extra money, go for it. But in my case, whatever is working well now, stays that way. I also have the Virtual Soundman that is compatible with my Sony MD.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Kevin. I thought it would take at least 10 posts to get that much info!

Lou, It's good to know that someone is thinking like me!

Thanks a lot to both of you!

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Minidisc to IPod (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL