The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Do you share your secrets? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I won't tell...
POOF!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
DirtySanchez
Welcome to the magic Café.

Vinny
Some magicians have shared much with me here at the magic Café, and no one has shared more with me than my friend the "the godfather". There are very few magicians that do your "broken bracelet", and that is just one of the many secrets you have revealed to me.
THANX THANX THANX
Al Angello

PS Sorry to go off subject, but it wuz time for me to say just what I wuz thinken.

PSS My magic secret that I want to reveal to everyone is at: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/juggleral/movie This is my demo of the legendary "boomerang rubber band" just click the right side of the screen.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I'll second that thanks. The Godfather rules! His sharing has won my respect.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
My hats off to Vinny. He does not know me in person but he sent me a couple of demos on a coin effect that I asked him which is his own creation.

I think it's true - the more you give the more you shall receive. In my professional work, I have interns. It's my professional responsiblity to show them the ropes. However, in the field of magic, there is really no Magic College per se. So magic in a sense is self-taught for a lot of folks. To learn great magic is not easily accessible at times, let alone finding a mentor. I think magic business is like movie/show business. Paul Newman and Robert Redford I think each have his own trade secrets. People in the olfactory business absolutely have to swear to keep the formula a secret, so are some cooking recipes and beer brewing techniques.

However, at the end, you'd want to share to a selected few. I know I would, otherwise, I'd go insane!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10767 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Chrystal and I go way back to when she first became a member here on the Café..

the Café could not have chosen a better person to be the hospilality hostess,
and to Al , Evolve and Josh I thank you.
Dirty Sanchez has been here on the Café for many years even though he only has five big posts / I say big because he has always supported the godfather...with his humor ....Dirty Sanchez even though we never met I thank you as well
the godfather
ps
the godfather might have to call on you for a favor someday
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Absolutely not. Most magicians I have ever met are a bunch of losers anyway and are embarassing to be around. It would be different if some of these guys wanted to know secrets in order to perform the effects, but that is almost never the case. It is usually because they got fooled or they simply had no idea and want to know.

There are a couple of guys I trust and show them stuff all of the time. Sometimes for feedback and sometimes because they want to perform it. I refuse to tip to the average paste eating nerd that goes to the magic shop looking for the newest trick that's going to make them a star.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
If you share a secret, it is no longer a secret!
POOF!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10767 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Polar Bear and Kregg what have either one of you created???????????
I am sure you both leared your craft from someones influence...........

Most magicians you have ever met are loosers that is a very harsh statement.
it is pretty tough to fool a good magician, a good and experienced magician has seen it all and will complement you if he has been fooled....

there are loosers in all sorts of life .. but do not say most magicians are loosers .................

the godfather
Come check out my magic.

Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I don't tip my magic either. I do have a couple of magician friends I confide in but in reality, I do not tip because most of the magic I do are not my own routines, therefore they are not my secrets to tip. Plus, I did the research, the practice and the rehearsal.

I had sessioned with other magicians before that became offended when I did not tip. I found that puzzling because I figured that a magician of all people would know better than to ask how something was done. Plus they just simply wanted to know how it was done and had no intention of performing any of the stuff.

Tipping secrets is certainly up to the performer, but I can certainly sympathize with those that do not tip.

PS - Losers is pretty harsh. I hope I am not considered a loser because I am a magician !!
ME
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of The One
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 00:18, Bill Palmer wrote:
I share different levels of secret with different levels of magician.

I know I said "no" before, but I do that too sometimes.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10767 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
If a magician comes to me and wants to show his latest effect to me , I expect him to share,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
However if I ask amagician to s perform a particular effect I would never ask him for the secret...... this is common courtesy
thegodfather
Come check out my magic.

kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2006-02-14 11:41, vinsmagic wrote:
...Kregg what have either one of you created???????????

Yes I have created "new" material, usually to discover (later) that it was done before my time. "The same thing, only different."

I share material and workings, but, not secrets... most secrets have already been shared. If you share a "secret", it's not a secret!
POOF!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10767 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Kregg please do not take what I said as an attack on you.....
What I am trying to get across is this we all learned from someone or some written source..
therefor it is not a secret .....and should be shared so perhaps some one like me or you can make the effect better..... if possible
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2006-02-14 16:33, vinsmagic wrote:
Kregg please do not take what I said as an attack on you.....
What I am trying to get across is this we all learned from someone or some written source..
therefor it is not a secret .....and should be shared so perhaps some one like me or you can make the effect better..... if possible
vinny

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but if I took lessons from a magician and he taught me a couple of effects that he may not have published yet and I ran into you at a convention or some place, I performed said trick for you - you would expect me to tip it?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10767 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Bear If we met at a convention and you approched me and said I would like to show you this effect .. I would expect you to tip it because you asked me to see it..
Hoever if I asked you to perform an effect I would never ask you to tip it unless you wanted to on your own.....
Furthermore if you took lessons from a magician and he taught you an effect it is not a seceret because he taught it to you, un less he said do not tip this to anyone....
this is my feelling on the subject but this is not to say I am right or wrong
also if the effect in question was not published then you should not perfrom this for anyone unless you had permission ..
Come check out my magic.

Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Share ideas...sometimes.
Sell secrets...most times.
at least the magic ones.
;)
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Before sharing any secrets, I try to find out if the person is interesed in learning how to perform the "trick" or if he or she just wants to know how it is done. Invariably, I tell them to buy the Amateur Magician's Handbook, by Henry Hay and then ask them to contact me for help. I don't get many calls.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Guys
If you ever meet Vinny at a convention ask him to showed you his version of Chris Kenner's "missing link" with the one handed display IN SLOW MOTION. Vinny's years of experience are priceless, and his newest DVD is about to be released, which is just full of secrets, so a word to the wise.
have fun
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I keep my magic secrets away from muggles.
And am quite open about my material and projects
with those who can respect that trust.

It's up to each of us, one at a time and only for ourselves to make that sort of commitment to respect our ideas and to extend that respect to the ideas and wishes of our peers in magicdom.

On the other side of that commitment to be trustworthy is a world of magic which may never see print and which is protected by those who can keep other people's secrets.

Trustworthiness. It's a great idea and no secret.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16235 Posts

Profile of tommy
I share magic stuff with magicians but I would not if I was a magician. I do not share anything "I" actually use at the card table today with magicians or anyone but I often talk about stuff I do not use today at the table . The stuff I use at the table, I don’t think, would be any use to magicians anyway.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Do you share your secrets? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL