The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Ummm... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
Okay, I need a little help here. I have not done magic too seriously for the last few months - haha get seriously. Anyway, I got offered to do a TV show again in front of a live audience in Manhatten, NY. What effects might you guys recommend for a live audience to see and would look good on TV?? Thanks in advance!

SIXX

P.S. Stand up magic, pretty much a parlor situation. Very visual.

I have a few ideas that I will post later.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok when is the show?'

Why not do the tricks that got you the job in the first place?

My grandfather always told me to "Dance with the girl who brung ya!".

Don't come up with new stuff, do the stuff your already good at.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
....and try not to say ummm as much when the camera's pointing at you!!
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
..ummmm ok lol. The stuff I did was close-up which can't be seen in this case on a stage. I was thinking about keeping it simple. Doggie bag,Ketchup bottle. And a few little other effects maybe a mentalism effect also.
Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Stephen Williams
When will it be on?
Ste
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you don't do the type of magic that is required for the show then DON'T DO THE SHOW!!!

You are headed for disaster and really making a public fool of yourself.

Not for just a few people mind you, lots of them.

I would personally never take a mentalist job. It is not what I do. Do yourself a favor and stick to what you know best and do that. It is just smarter.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
If you have to ask us what effects to do then you are not ready. You have not put in the time and homework to create a solid base of magic.

Just from reading your post tells me that you only want the easy way out. It sure would be nice to have everyone at the Café brainstorm and invent new acts for eachother. Anything great comes from work. Work on your OWN act and it just might pay off!

I am from the old school, where all secerts were held close and only revealed once trust has been earn. Those days are gone as you can tell by the opening post.

Ray
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I think this post is a joke.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Zack I really hope so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Probably so. Being on TV in New York is a big thing since most if not all of the television stations here broadcast to the whole U.S.. Unless it's a local TV show.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
Ok wow ! I never once said I don't know what I'm doing.I can do that show right now if I had to.What I did ask was , what do you guys recommend??I was open to suggestions.Maybe something that I would say that's a nice idea let me work with it.I never done a parlor show that would go on television.I assumed that some of you guys might have or read a book that recommended something in this catergory.The show is a few months away I have plenty of time to figure things out until then.Its not that I don't know what I'm doing,im just not ussed to this scenerio.So I asked what might someone recommend.The only thing that throws me off is the T.V part.What plays on television???All I got so far was a bunch of repeat ******** that everyone says when someone post a topic.WHATS THIS??DONT DO IT!!,If I did not know what I was doing I would have not taking the show.I wanted help becouse I have been really busy as you can see by my activity on the Café, and figure maybe they will help me out.Apparently not.And this post was not a joke , I wanted some advice some thing some people don't want to give.I did not want to know what to do,but what you might recommend.I never asked for sercrets or what exact effect.I wanted a raccommendation that's all.You could have said look at this book or this tape.But all I got was a slap in the face.

THANKS ALOT,
SIXX
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My recomendation stands no matter how mad you get at it..

Do what got the job for you.

If you have to ask for suggestions, don't take the job.

If I had this to do in 6 minutes from now, I would know exactly what to do.

I don't see why your asking if you already apparantly know.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
You didn't mention how long your show will be but If I were performing this show I would perform things like:

Disapearing Silk
Gene Anderson's torn & restored newspaper.
Jumbo Three Card Monte
Linking Rings

that's just me
hope it helps
kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
I was asking just in case someone may reccomend something I would like to add in.I was not upset with you Danny.I appreciate your advice.

Thanks DANNY AND KONO!

sixx
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I should clarify my position actually

First off any advice given by me has the intent of you being a better performer.

Not so much with the tricks you will do, but with the way you are. I will tell you something most find tough to accept and hard to understand.

The tricks we do are almost irrelivant in any form of magic. What you are actually selling is YOU to the audience. Magic may be our medium, but it is not as important as people may think. You still have to have things down cold no doubt, but it is the "other" things that sepporate performers.

People who put together a few tricks and run out and say "I'm a magician" miss the point completly. In the long run they hurt themselvs.

Six I do not mean you here. I am clarifying why I said what I said is all.

Good luck
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Quote:
On 2006-02-12 11:34, Dannydoyle wrote:
I should clarify my position actually

First off any advice given by me has the intent of you being a better performer.

Not so much with the tricks you will do, but with the way you are. I will tell you something most find tough to accept and hard to understand.

The tricks we do are almost irrelivant in any form of magic. What you are actually selling is YOU to the audience. Magic may be our medium, but it is not as important as people may think. You still have to have things down cold no doubt, but it is the "other" things that sepporate performers.

People who put together a few tricks and run out and say "I'm a magician" miss the point completly. In the long run they hurt themselvs.

Six I do not mean you here. I am clarifying why I said what I said is all.

Good luck

Well said, Danny. Many of us get too caught up in the tricks and not enough in the entertainment. There's a big difference between the two. A trick or illusion that isn't presented properly can be very boring. Conversely, you can be very entertaining without ever doing a magic trick. Combining the two can be challenging, but is well worth the effort.

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
VERYYYY TRUEEEEE!!!!!^^^^^^^^

Great advice Danny!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Ummm... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL