The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeving help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicmancas
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicmancas
I am interested in learning some sleeving techniques. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
Check out Bobo's for some sleeving techniques for coins (and other small objects). Carl Cloutier has some fantastic work out on video. Shoot Ogawa has some unique sleeving work. Derek Dingle's Bounce Change from the collected works is a nice coin utility move. Bob Fitch also has some wonderful work in print. Justin Miller is also supposed to have something coming out on the subject. Search around and you will find what you need.

Just curious, but what do you intend to do with these techniques? Do you want to clean up routines you already do?

-Karl
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Great question Karl,

Only one guy I've met offered some insight into that basic problem in conjuring, and he called it "traffic management".

David Roth shows some of his ideas in his showpieces video, though he is not working out of his sleeves.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Terrell
View Profile
New user
bladerunner35@yahoo.com
65 Posts

Profile of Terrell
Carl Cloutier has several really good videos out there that teach sleeving, as well as topiting techniques.
Terrell
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5420 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
The new Justin Miller DVDs, "strolling hands"
has a nice section on sleeving
koz
Dam
View Profile
New user
Brest in France
100 Posts

Profile of Dam
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 08:24, Terrell wrote:
as well as topiting techniques.

I think Carl Cloutier is not very good for topiting, in my opinion he is too direct. I prefer the work of Bob Fitch or the topit tape and the topit book from M. Ammar.

I'm sorry, it's not really the subject, but for sleeving, he is pretty good.
I think you should begin with the Bobo in a first time to know the basic technique.
See you soon.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Koz, how is this product on trafic managment?

It's one thing to get someting into or out of your sleeve, yet entirely another to setup, packup and reset such things in performance.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Jonathan,
That is one thing I really think about when putting a routine together.
The DVDs cover this with different effects.
Justin Miller
triXter9669
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of triXter9669
I am unsure if Rocco has anything on sleeving (which I'm almost certain he does) but man, watching that guy perform live and even when he would practice on me, I'm convinced he could sleeve a truck if he wanted to.
Dam
View Profile
New user
Brest in France
100 Posts

Profile of Dam
I just remember, there is one of the flicking fingers, a German's magician band who make a DVD, I think it's "done by misdirection", with probably good things about sleeving... there is some little thing from him in "The video" of the band.

damien
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-02-09 10:08, triXter9669 wrote:
I am unsure if Rocco has anything on sleeving ...

Rocco has been using sleeving, even with a handful of salt/glitter for over twenty years.
magicmancas
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicmancas
Thanks for all of your help everyone. I am trying to clean up a 3 fly routine and do not like the vanish of the last coin. Thanks again.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-02-09 14:48, magicmancas wrote:
Thanks for all of your help everyone. I am trying to clean up a 3 fly routine and do not like the vanish of the last coin. Thanks again.

If you play the attention management right, you could simply change it to copper then look back at your right hand and have two copper coins there. Cute use of a slippery sam gaff there. Smile
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Bob Fitch is the guy.

But you can learn a lot from Bobo's.

Best regards
Daniel
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1542 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Carl Cloutier!
Jean-Denis
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
126 Posts

Profile of Jean-Denis
Since I watched Carl Cloutier video on sleeving, I sleeve everything! My fun is to do it anywhere and see if someone notices (in a non-magic context). Of course nobody knows my secret game. It makes me remember of a funny presentation from Pen & Teller about magicians secretly practicing in ordinary contexts.
triXter9669
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of triXter9669
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 10:40, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 10:08, triXter9669 wrote:
I am unsure if Rocco has anything on sleeving ...

Rocco has been using sleeving, even with a handful of salt/glitter for over twenty years.

Sorry Jonathan I know he has been using sleeving for a long time but just to clarify what I meant, I should have stated "I am unsure if Rocco has any DVDs or Video's on sleeving."

He truly is one of the most skilled artists I have ever encountered.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8860 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Lots of places mentioned to learn this wonderful part of magic, but 2 good places mentioned are Bobo's, I'd begin there (actually I did) Smile and then for up to date usage and good explanation, check Justin Miller's work. He's very good, he's right now, and I doubt seriously if anyone out there is any better it its usage than what he does with it. Plus he's a very good teacher.

I personally use sleeving a lot more now because of Justin's creativeness with it...it opened my eyes to a lot more option using the techniques. It takes some practice, but once you get it down, man you're flying... Good luck. Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Rocco has a book (If it fits sleeve it) and lecture notes.

I saw his lecture a few years back and he really is good.

His work is complementary to Bob Fitch's.

Daniel
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Hmmm.

I think if you watch Carl and Rocco and then watch Justin, you will see a world of difference in sleeving techniques. I just can't stand to watch the "ol' dip wrist" method of sleeving. Very few people are really fooled by that principle.

I'll leave it to you to figure out who that is.

Kirk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeving help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL