The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slik but not....Silk. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
When Bill Malone performs The Slydini Silks, he's using silks made of a different material, does anyone have an idea which kinds of "silks" they are, and where they can be bought?

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I believe that it parachute material that is slicker than silk, so that when the knot is upset it pulls thru easier. Also a red thread is added to make it easier to see what type of upset that you need to use.

Check your local magic shop or major on-line dealer.

Also, several of the lastest DVDs on the effect come with the special "silks".

You can perform it with normal silks, but most people think that it is easier with the special "silks".

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I was taught this trick by Tony Slydini using regular silks. Tony sold this trick with hanks he made from rip-stop nylon. Back in the 60s they were supposed to be more like men's handkerchiefs. (Remember that Tony was a tailor.) They were 21" and meant to look alike.

The trick works fine with regular silks and they actually make the colors easier to use. When I do the routine, I give away one of the silks as a souvenir to the volunteer anyway. Even rip-stop nylon will separate. So neither will last forever. Think of silks as a consumable item like newspapers, flash paper, rope and playing cards. We’re not running a museum on stage.

It is odd that this question would come up today. Tuesday night I passed out copies of an old postcard from 1969 from Tony. He was sending me ten sets of these. Because I use body loads, he had also made me some in colors. I understand that he did that for no one else.

Tony we miss you. Crooked smile and all.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Although I do not own any books or DVDs etc. on the Slydini Silks, Steve Draun gave an overview of the Slydini Silks at one of his lecture. Steve sells the "silks" for the effect on his site. He also sells a CD on the Slydini Silks. For those of you who want to see Steve Draun perform the Slydini Silks click here.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Thanks for the input guys! Just what I was looking for.
BUT, I was wondering one more thing, does these type of silks come in many different sizes, since I would actually want these nylon silks in as small sizes as possible for use with a Thumb tip..

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Eirik,

I don't think you want nylon fabric for a thumb tip. It's too bulky.

Likewise, real Slydini silks are one size: 21". I do the routine with 18" or 24" real silks depending on what it is coming from and where I am going with it. For me 18" is as small as I would consider using for this effect. You really don't want to get near the center of the silk.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Thanks Bob, and yes! when I think about it nylon silks have to be to thick for TT work.
I did order my Slydini silks and they will arrive sometime this week.
Look forward to practice the routine.

-e-
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Eirik,

By now you should be well into enjoying your new props.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I do not like the silks that Steve Draun sells at all. They are very shiney and plasticy looking.

Red is a nice idea but the material is just really not appealing to me at all.

I am having some made to my specifications that are much nicer looking, feeling, sounding, and the edge indicator stitching will be easier to see than most the others.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slik but not....Silk. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL