The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where do you buy your tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
shadowfire90
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of shadowfire90
Encore Magic. Chris Reesman is the local here for me in Michigan and hes a good guy so I go there when I need something. Haven't been there in awhile though as I seem to fade in and out of the magic scene ;D Probably a good time to make a trip Smile
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
I have a few sites that I visit regularly:

Penguin Magic because it has the cheapest prices around as well as the cheapest shipping rates for international customers.

Big Blind Media because it's cheaper to get things from their site especially when you're on their mail list. Additionally, shipping is covered for.

Kozmomagic because they also offer free shipping and is still having a great offer on their site now that is really hard to beat.

MJMMagic because they sometimes have items that Penguin Magic may not carry.

Basically for me, I buy from the shop that gives the best prices out of the products I want to buy. Either that or they offer products that are exclusive only to themselves.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-02-24 19:22, ViciousCycle wrote:
Living in Chicago, I'm fortunate to have Ash's magic shop to visit in person. The Ashes make visiting their shop an experience. Mr. Ash will really keep you entertained with the way he performs tricks, and Mrs. Ash has a knack for finding whatever it is you're looking for. Mr. Ash is one of those people who has the ability to fool you even when you know what gimmick he is using. On a recent visit, someone asked about the limitations of using TT's in close-up work, and Ash was ready on the spot to do some very convincing close-up work with TT's, even when you were looking for the TT. Going to Ash's really makes for a great afternoon out; it is not simply shopping.

I patronize the physical Ash's magic shop, though I've never bought from the online Ash's magic shop. The real Ash's seems to be a potpourri of wonder at often bargain prices, whereas the online store I suspect is handled by a third party.

Good ole' Ash. Right down the street from Magic Inc... The guy's got brass ones, too!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
daniel_lachman
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of daniel_lachman
Penguinmagic.com - The best online magic shop in the US.

magicshop.co.uk - An awesome magic shop in the UK with over 10,000 tricks!
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
I get my stuff at Ellusionist, and penguin magic.
TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
I shop mainly at Hobby Lobby but sometimes Michael's Crafts or even Wal-Mart have better deals. Every now and then I drop by US Toy Magic in Leawood, KS. But most of my stuff doesn't come from the magic stores...
Michael L.

Magic is a lie. It is our job to convince the audience to overlook the lie and our goal to make them embrace it.
blackartman
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of blackartman
Misdirections.com
penguinmagic.com (only because I get free stuff)
ellusionist.com
eBAY.com
funtymemagic.com
magic warehouse
dennysmagic.com!!!!!
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Online--Penguin Magic

Off-line--Magic Sojourn, my local brick-and-mortar shop

I rarely shop at Penguin. I only will when Magic Sojourn doesn't have something I need. They both have just about the same prices, just a few cents difference. Smile

John
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
161 Posts

Profile of Lash
I get most of my stuff at Penguin Magic and Precision Magic. There are a few others I get stuff from infrequently such as Elmwood, but those are my main sources.
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
189 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hank Lees

The Magic Warehouse

For books, I wholeheartedly recommend http://www.magicbookshop.com
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
My favorite place is mjmmagic.com, but, of course, you cannot neglect the local magic shop and put them out of business!
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
Quote:
On 2007-06-21 15:57, gaddy wrote:
Good ole' Ash. Right down the street from Magic Inc... The guy's got brass ones, too!

Ash is very generous with his knowledge. On my two most recent visits to his shop, he gave me very helpful feedback on my basic chop cup handling, despite the fact that my purchases on those days were non-chop-cup items.

And he always has stories to tell. He was telling me about a stage show he performed many years ago where he kept removing a piece of clothing every time he guessed the spectator's card wrong. He finally got to the point where he was wearing just a diaper and he warned the spectator that maybe she should say one of his guesses is right... or else. And then it turns out that the spectator's card was clearly visible on his diaper.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for being here - real world info from real world practitioners - can't beat the advice and info from this place. This thread is a good example.

I haven't posted because there's much more for me to learn than to teach.

My humble contribution:
East Coast Magic: (B&M) always good to see it, touch it, etc. Downside: I can be an impulse buyer and they can smell that. They're okay though.

MagicProShop.com: (online) Good prices, free shipping. Very bad at answering questions after the sale. I only had one experience with them and they gave me the wrong tracking number. It was an expensive item and I wanted to make sure I would be here to receive it. I asked twice and never got a reply. The package arrived sooner than expected - damaged but repairable. I'd try them again.

Daytona Magic: (online) I used them at least a dozen times and have always been satisfied. I always call first and check on stock, etc. Once they gave me bad info as to a tricks use and they accepted a return & issued credit.

Magic Warehouse: (online) 2 orders, all went well.

Hank Lee: 1st order, charged for everything whether shipped or not. Took nine months to get money back on items that were discontinued and never shipped.
2nd order, I gave specific instructions not to bill items not in stock - didn't matter.
3rd order, they advertised an Airhead Rudy for $119. When the CC bill came it was $150. A phone call to Hank himself resulted in him cursing at me and saying he'd never accept another order from me (I spent $2000 with him). He said the web page I used was outdated and only for their internal use and I hacked into their system, etc. Funny thing is, that was almost 2 years ago and it is still listed at $199. Google it or see hanklee.net/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?category=kids

eBay: Can be good and bad. I mention it because I'm seeing a disturbing trend: People buying tapes, DVDs, and CDs, then copying it for themselves and reselling it a few days later. The sad part of that is at least one of the guys is a long-time a somewhat respected member of the Café. I known one of them and my phone will ring as soon as he read this. Another is a member of another forum and claims to be a minister. But that one is selling bootlegs. Or WAS; he's been removed from eBay.

I also buy from: Steve Taylor, David Ginn, Sammy Smith, Jim Snack, and Julian Franklin directly. It's the right thing to do. (The Airhead Rudy incident was before I knew Steve did them.)

Just my .02,
Gene
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Quote:
On 2007-10-27 18:19, Gene Allen wrote:
eBay: Can be good and bad. I mention it because I'm seeing a disturbing trend: People buying tapes, DVDs, and CDs, then copying it for themselves and reselling it a few days later.

One experience I had when selling on ebay was that I would get request to trade what I was selling for a set of DVDs. The person was offering me a set of DVDs that had 600+ videos he claimed. I replied to him that what he was doing was illegal and stupid. He later offered the exact same thing with an added DVD full of 1000+ books in pdf format. Some people are just to stupid to learn.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
shek
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
244 Posts

Profile of shek
I usually shop at MJM nowadays, but I will outsource to Penguin if it is cheaper there Smile
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Alakazam UK. I've done a lot of travelling around the world in the last 4 years and have tried to seek out as many bricks and mortar shops as I could find in each place I was in.
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
On which point I must add - I hope to be in Buenos Aires in a couple of months time. Any recommendations? I'm aware of one shop called Bazar de Magia, so I'm going to check that out.
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1468 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I buy from my local B&M shop in Leeds.
"But there isn't a door"
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
I have been trying to stick to the local Brick and Mortar magic shop but sometimes if they don't have what I'm looking for I order from Penguin online. For my regular decks I buy the 13 pack at Sam's Club. that's the cheapest I have seen.
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
At http://www.spectram.com and sometimes at other places
Dare to Dream...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where do you buy your tricks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL