The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Here's the Situation... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Though I have been doing magic for years...restaurant work is a bit new to me, I could use some advice.

Here is the Situation...

New Magician at a Medieval themed restaurant, 3-4 hrs a night. Rather Busy, sell out.

My questions.

- What effects/tricks have you had the most success with? (I have been using my coin magic, some cards, etc...as well as some mentalism...but I am curious what success you have had). Long reset is not an option (as you table hoppers know).

- I am in Medieval themed clothing, in a similar environment. Shall I dispose of modern effects that appear modern? (I am feeling that I stick with props that can be associated with the Old age).

I will talk to Bill more as well as the other Faire Folk...but I am curious on your thoughts.

Thanks again.

~~Rob~~
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
'Haunted Key' is a Natural.I would reccommend using a fairly large 'well balanced'old skeleton key.(rather than the shiny reproduction keys available)I use these old keys in my Restaurants and this is one routine that usually generates spontaneous applause. Smile Best.

Rich
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Contact Master Payne.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Try PMing KirkG. He's a Ren Faire regular, so he's likely to have some good thoughts on this subject.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Ron, it seems obvious to me that you should apply the same theme to your magic that your restaurant and outfit have. I would view even a coin trick using a Kennedy half dollar to seem out of place. If you want to do coin effects, then find some old looking coins, and the same with cards. There are some card decks out there that look like they're from that time period...or use Tarot cards.

:) Kaylan
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Senator Crandall has a one cup and balls routine in one of the Tarbells.
Rope effects have been around forever. Use hemp rope.
"Gypsy Curse" for a packet trick.
"Glorpy" might be good.

Some good ideas here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=6
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Lee Darrow is another good source for period magic. He's on staff here at the Café.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Oh, man, Larry Davidson is a FANTASTIC source and his new DVD set soon to be realesed will have KILLER material!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
How jealous I am! I wish there were a medieval themed restaurant in my neck of the woods. That sounds like an awesome job! I second the rope suggestion, also a tt and silks, the small linking rings would fit, a change bag with silks. There are lots of things that could go with the time period.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Here's the Situation... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL