The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Swami mantra (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Hi, I know no-one that does fire breathing, glass eating, peircing or any sideshow stuff, is it safe to attempt the things in swami mantra without knowing anyone who does these things?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
No. You should learn from someone who knows them well. Not just somebody who knows them...somebody who knows them well.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Ok, so my dream of becoming a sideshow is shattered,
just a thought then, is there any point in people buyingthis book?
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Beginning Sideshow Arts
I sometimes get mail asking about how to start learning sideshow arts. This is my answer,
First you need to analyze your self, and your reasons. If you want to learn to impress the guys at the bar, or your frat buddies, or to get girls, forget it! By and large, the acts are dirty, invoke some pain, take years to learn properly and you will find that “normal” people will look at you as something less than normal. The acts will probably cause you medical problems later in life, or immediately. It isn’t like magic at all, the damage you do to yourself can last for years. I often think that in our current media society, people think an accident (there will be some) goes away at the end of the clip, or movie… This is not true. An accident can take weeks or months to recover from, and can even cause you permanent disfigurement… The best (only) way to learn is with a pro teacher who has lived this life. I don’t mean the kid at 7/11 who sucks fire from a Bic. I mean a working professional. Learning from a book is the worst way to get this knowledge. I think I have read most of the books on the subject, and I am often appalled by errors, missed points, plain lies and oversights, all of which can bite you! Even when you know it all, a pro can see a lot of things you will miss, and might save you a lot of damage to yourself or others. Slim’s notes are overwritten to prevent as much of this as possible, but sometimes surprising interpretations slip in. I remember writing several additions to a note to clarify putting a Band-aid over a thumbtack...
Most of the people who chose to start learning sideshow acts are young, impressionable, frequently misfits, and are looking to make some kind of mark. “See what I can do!” This is understandable, but the fact is that there are a lot of better, easier, cleaner, and more profitable ways to make a living. Working at McDonald’s will earn you more, and you won’t spend most of your time looking for the next gig. Even the best performers have dry spells.
Although most of the acts however, dangerous, are simple, few initiates realize the need for learning to be an entertainer. This is really what separates the tyros from the pros in every field, not just sideshow work. Theater skills are what will make the money and work for you. If you are still in school take advantage of your theatrical options, acting, stagecraft, voice, costume, scripting, learn anything and anything you can. If you are a “civilian,” do the same. It’s an investment sure to pay off…
Don’t try to learn everything at once...There are dozens of nuances in any single act that can only be learned by exploration. Mastering one act and doing it well, (and adding your own persona) will always serve you better than “shotgunning” several badly done stunts. When you begin working a sideshow act, the first thing you will want to do is ‘push the envelope.” This, more than anything else will get you in trouble… Give your art a little time to nurture, until you really understand it… Above all, learn from a pro mentor.

An after thought :
Learn to stop calling what we do "Geek Magic." That is a term that real sideshow performers find very offensive. Geeks were the lowest form of sideshow performers, Low drunks and junkies who would eat the grossest things. Live snake heads. Live chicken heads, for example, just to get a fix... Jim Rose is not a good example of true sideshow work. Although he introduced a whole new generation to sideshow acts, his methods of presentation leave, for me, a lot to be desired. Sideshow work does not need to be presented in a gross, frenetic manner as he does. Why do I mention him? He is, I think the person most likely to have misused “Geek”, as in his claiming to do “:Geek Magic”
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Don't give up on your dream. Just don't ignore what we keep saying. You NEED a good teacher, and a book isn't it.

If you wanted to become a doctor, you'd go to school. If you wanted to become a certified accountant (though I'm not sure why anyone would), you couldn't do it from just a book. If you wanted to become a fireman, you'd have to undergo both physical and book training.

What's different here?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
TAIT
View Profile
Regular user
uk
142 Posts

Profile of TAIT
Just to let you know joker they are about six sideshow performers in england.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I taught my self to fire breath, fire eating and breathing.
Then one day I set my heed on fire the smell of burnt hair stinks.
I was lucky I recieved no body burns just a burnt ego.
Mario
PS On the other hand it is a great book and I do have it in stock. http://www.fathatmagic.co.uk
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
I was wondering why jim rose was using yo yos in his act...
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That might be a question that's much bigger than we can address here.

www.bladewalker.com
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
Jim used a performer known as Cappy.

He is a world yo-yo champion. I haven't heard anything about him since I saw them in Omaha.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
In the UK, why not ask Kondini or David Straitjacket? They do post here, and are very helpful.

Yours,

Paul
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I've recommended that to joker, among other things, both in these threads and in PMs, and he just keeps coming back and asking the same basic question. I guess I don't know enough, to give him answers. Ah well.

www.bladewalker.com
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Harley, how could us newbies know enough to tell the elite anything? We don't even have a DVD...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
DVD? That's too many letters. You're confusing me, in my dotage.

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Swami mantra (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL