The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do people still use canes these days? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi All,

I posted this originally in 'The Clothes We Wear' section but think I may get more traffic here:

I am referring to the walking stick type (not one that is a medical requirement...). I'm sure we've all read that a Magician should dress one step up from the audience but I don't feel that that particuliarly works for me.

If I was performing on stage then, yes, I agree, but since I perform almost exclusively for Corporate and 'Higher End' (that simply means people with more money. None of us are Higher than another, IMO) Clientele it just wouldn't be appropiate for me to show up in a tux. I do have some fantastic Suits but am still looking for a little something to set me apart (aside from my wonderful personality and extremely entertaining demeanor Smile ) for my Walk Around gigs..

Is a nice cane the answer?

Brainstorming,

Jamie D. Grant
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Jamie,

Good topic.

I've never agreed with that "one step up" from the audience idea. You are right that in most business environments it would be inappropriate to wear a tux.

I don't think you need to stand out by what you are wearing. Other people in the room are going to notice you because there will be the energy and laughter wherever you are performing.

I do think you should buy the best suits, shirts and ties you can afford. As soon as an item shows any sign of age, toss it and get a new one. Your hands and nails should be immaculate. Get a haircut before you need one, etc. That's what people notice.

I'm not saying anything most people don't already instinctively know - but you'd be amazed how many times I've been booked with other ("professional") magicians on a gig and I've been shocked at how scruffy/ungroomed they look and I've actually heard guests comment about their dirty fingernails.

As for the cane, my initial reaction is negative.

What do you plan to do with the cane when you are performing? Drop it on the floor for people to trip over? Unless you are going to do Lavand's act one-handed, it sounds like it would be a pain.

And people are going to be fixed on the cane. The whole time they'll be thinking, "what's he going to do with the cane?"

Also, unless you actually need a cane to help you walk, I think it would come across as too affected.

Or you could go the whole hog and add a cravate and frilly cuffs!

Best,
James
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi James,

Excellent thoughts. Your tips on groming should be read by all, I follow these instructions to the letter myself.

You're probably right about the cane. I guess my thinking is that at some gigs everyone is dressed so well (no tuxes mind you) that it can be hard to stand out by sight alone. You're right, though, people always know who you are by the magical environment that should be surrounding you.

I guess it's just a bit of Magicain's Ego to want to be recognized right off the bat. Perhaps I could ask all my clients to play some sort of Royal March whenever I enter the room instead... Smile

Take Care,

Jamie D. Grant
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Dressing differently to be noticed doesn't always mean dressing "up". I work "upscale" restaurants in a black tux with a black or dark colored t-shirt ala David Copperfield. Classy but not to flashy.

As for the cane, I agree with James. It just doesn't fit in a close-up enviroment.

Daryl
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1706 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Support comments mentioned

Use a cane as a prop in your act etc-not as an fashion accessory
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Enter with a LIMP... with a can... when the cane vanishes... THE LIMP GOES WITH IT...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Quote:
On 2006-02-12 16:32, Pete Biro wrote:
Enter with a LIMP... with a can... when the cane vanishes... THE LIMP GOES WITH IT...

LMAO!!! Very good idea…it goes back to James’ point of doing something with the cane. Another Idea is to ware or carry a hat and have a “Cane to Table” that way you have opened more doors in your walk around, you now have a table/servant…BUT a “Hat” and a “Cane” can be a little much, it all depends on your style and the setting you are in. And I also want to say the there are a lot of magicians who need to heed James’ words on grooming…I hate seeing a magician who belongs at a “Ren Fair” doing corporate events in business attire or a guy who looks like a “Biker at a wedding” working a women’s luncheon or what have you. A cane or walking stick would not be out of the question in the wintertime during snowy and icy weather. Also a long time ago I knew a guy who did “Card Sword” with a walking stick that had a Dagger attached to the handle that was concealed inside the cane. This could play big in your walk around as a closer…that’s my 2 cents…trying to get 50 posts up.

Later & Out
RJ
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I agree with those who don't like the idea of using a cane solely as a fashion accessory.

One of the cleverest ideas for using a cane was shown to me by Larry West, and involves a limp in a different way than what Pete mentioned. Larry W. would walk with a limp and when people noticed it he'd remove his shoe, slowly pull a cane out of the shoe (an appearing cane was hidden in his hand and he activated the release when he placed his hand inside of his shoe), put the shoe back on, and then walk away very gingerly with no limp using the cane as a walking stick. It was very funny.

Larry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do people still use canes these days? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL