The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Twisted Arm illusion Help!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
I feel so dumb trying this trick. I almost tore my arm off! Am I reading the instructions correctly??...can anyone help who has done it or does it a lot.

I tried doing it with my left arm (as it suggests--but fail to swivel my palm over my thumb as it says I can.

Ellen
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Dear Ellen:

You may very well be doing it correctly and just unable to do it. You really have to crank the arm around at an awkward angle. Some folks have to work up to it by stretching over a period of time.

I for instance can't really do the move at it's best because of a long standing problem with my left elbow. Just take it slowly at first and stretch out the needed tendons, etc.

Best,
Brad Burt
Brad Burt
Jax
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Jax
Ellen

It may be just a matter of practice - however, I couldn't get the trick from the instructions - I ended up buying the video as well which makes thing a lot clearer!
Harry R
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Harry R
Ellen

It all depends on how flexible your wrist is. It took me a few weeks of practise to make the move look convincing.
Don't force your wrist, just practise everyday. It'll get easier.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Ellen:

Just to make sure you are understanding the instructions correctly, try going backwards from the final position.

This might give you a clearer idea!

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Florian Rago
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincolnshire
202 Posts

Profile of Florian Rago
I find that the starting position is awkward too so while misdirecting the spectator you can take your time preparing.

Florian
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
170 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Keep practicing though. I use it all the time and it freaks people out.

DonB! Smile
DarkArts
View Profile
New user
Singapore
25 Posts

Profile of DarkArts
Practice and practice. But sometimes just take care of yourself and don't force yourself to the limits.
Smile
"HuMaNs SeeKs MaGiC pOwEr WhIL3 EY lIve"
Rafa
View Profile
Regular user
Costa Rica
102 Posts

Profile of Rafa
You won't get 40 degrees more even if you practice 10 hours a day. I think a loose sweater or jacket will help you with the elbow problem.
Vanished Zauberer
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Vanished Zauberer
You really need to twist more than just your wrist. Think about twisting your wrist, elbow and shoulder and you can go a whole lot furthur. I've done this trick so many times, and I've made so many people scream. It's great, work on it!
"Stress is when you wake up screaming and you you realize you haven't even fallen asleep"

MagicTy
www.magicty.iwarp.com
Jhonsky
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
112 Posts

Profile of Jhonsky
Yeah it happened to me too when I first tried it. I think there is something to do with the individual's flexibility. I still do it by request and I still suffer a bit after the effect, but the response I get is worth everything. Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I do the final few degrees of the "twist" after I place my fingers on the ground, but before my palm. This allows me a bit of leverage to "push" for the last little bit.

It only hurts a little...
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
I've got the video if you want to borrow it. Pm me if interested.

ellisd
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
nakulshenoy
View Profile
New user
Bangalore, India
91 Posts

Profile of nakulshenoy
Hi Dave,

Nice browsing into you here. Smile
Nakul Shenoy
The Mind Reader
www.nakulshenoy.com
Showmethatagain
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Showmethatagain
Flexibility is the key! I only realised that after a trip to the ER........... only joking it's just a case of limbering up
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
I love this trick, and would like to further enhance the performance with the "twisted flesh" look using a rubber band, but I cannot figure out how the heck I am supposed to put the rubber band on to make it look good. Any advice?
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Try fishing line instead of rubber band... it looks great! Be good to yourself though, don't cut off the circulation. Just wrap it around your wrist a couple of times and the spiral it up your forearm, finishing with a couple of wraps just below the elbow.
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
I don't know why I never thought of using fishing line. Good idea, thanks.
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Put some uncooked pasta in your mouth and bite it as you do the illusion and then swallow it.
The sound is real and there is no clean up.
You'll get used to the taste.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Twisted Arm illusion Help!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL