We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Si Stebbins Calculation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JPL
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of JPL
Does anybody ever see arithmetic methods to convert between position and card for a Si Stebbins deck? I've seen some references to methods for doing this but I'm intereted to see if anybody actually use it.

JPL
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
I've used the calculation(s) outlined in "Si Stebbins Unplugged" available from trickshop.com. Can do some interesting stuff using the formulas.
sportshooter
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA USA
162 Posts

Profile of sportshooter
Try Dover's reprint of "Scarne on Card Tricks". You can get it for $10.
I haven't used it in performance but have played around with it.
"Don't trouble 'bout no two hen's, Boss. Get yo' own hen'. De suckah, he'll get a han' all right, suah!"
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
There's a basic forumla available in Henning Nelms "Magic & Showmanship", as well as many other books.

SEY
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Just setup the deck in Si Stebbins order and study it. You may be able to determine the order almost intuitively, after doing a bubble peak of the top card.
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2578 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Quote:
On 2006-02-13 15:44, Tom Dobrowolski wrote:
I've used the calculation(s) outlined in "Si Stebbins Unplugged" available from trickshop.com. Can do some interesting stuff using the formulas.

I also can recommend "Si Stebbins Unplugged", a very thorough, and clear description!
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I can locate the position of any named card from top down through a formula; however, I have to look at the bottom 4 cards to figure it out.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-02-17 17:46, Joey Stalin wrote:
I can locate the position of any named card from top down through a formula; however, I have to look at the bottom 4 cards to figure it out.

Hmmmmm you have to look at all 4 of them?!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Not all the time. It could be just the bottom card. But I need to see one of the bottom 4 that matches the suit of the named card.

See you space cowboy...
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I guess I could determine the bottom 4 card just from looking at the bottom card, but I think it is easier to just glimpse the bottom 4.

See you space cowboy...
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
447 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Just for the record, the old Deland Automatic Deck is stacked in Si Stebbins order, and marked on the backs in such a way that it almost "automatically" makes the calculations for you. Unfortunately, it probably isn't practical to use the Deland deck because it looks pretty strange -- just cries out "Magic Cards!"
Hannes
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Hannes
Take a look inside "The Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields" by Jon Racherbaumer. There is a section about the Si Stebbins System by Ed Marlo ans also all arithmatics well explained. (p.139)

Hannes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Si Stebbins Calculation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL