The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic in loud rooms? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I was wondering if you could help me think of some effects that aren't patter dependant. I have found myself in bars/night clubs wanting to preform some effects for friends but with the loud music and background noise I can't think of too many effects that aren't that dependant on the spec hearing the patter.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
I always carry around a couple teeny-tiny plastic doves, available from bead/craft stores. I can tear a corner off a bar napkin or tissue and seemingly roll and "fold" the paper into this meticulously shaped little bird. Takes a few seconds, and appears to be nearly "born" from your fingertips.

That's the key here, I think. Quick hits that can keep somebody's attention just long enough to make the impression. I'd also include:

- Spontaneous productions & vanishes (coins, small silks, etc.);
- Put things into, and take things out of, your nose; and

Regards,

-jjg
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
You might look into some of Jeff McBride's material. On my copy of Volume 1 of his "The Art of Card Manipulation", Jeff talks about how, early in his career, he did a lot of close-up in noisy clubs, where you didn't have a chance to use any patter, so you had to be very visual, direct and work in time with music.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Take a look at the cultural exchange DVD's. The routines were specifically designed to be performed in loud bar-type setting. Highly visual effects that don't depend on a lot of patter. One warning though - some of the moves are at an intermediate to advanced level. Thought I should mention that since the post is in the New to Magic forum.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Color Changing Knives
Peter Rabbit Goes to Town
Hopping Half
Color Change Routines with Cards
Brad Burt
Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
How about a mental angle? I saw a vid of someone recently bending a paper clip. He uses it in a Restauanr but.....

He approaches the table, says nothing, holds a paper clip up and stares at it. Completely ignores the customers whilst staring at the paperclip, which then starts to bend. It bends impossibly all the way around then he drops it on the table. The whole thing lasts about 2 minutes.

Sounds ideal for you. At a quietish (lol) moment, look your mark in the eye, when he/she looks back lift up the hand with the paper clip in it. Do the bend, give them the undamaged paperclip and walk off to the bar. Don't say a word.....

I wish I could remember its name. Anyone?

G
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
I have performed "Card Warp" hundreds of times without patter. The key is to "act" surprised when the magic occurs.

In my opinion, the best example of great facial expressions would be the late Doug Henning. He could amaze folks, because he always seemed amazed too!

Magic may or may not have a language, but everyone understands thier eyes. Use visual magic.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
FatTony
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, Texas
121 Posts

Profile of FatTony
As has been said, try a few quick coin routines.

Also, do you have a pair of D'Lites? They can be good in places like bars or clubs.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. - Einstein
FatTony
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, Texas
121 Posts

Profile of FatTony
As has been said, try a few quick coin routines.

Also, do you have a pair of D'Lites? They can be good in places like bars or clubs.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. - Einstein
Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
Good idea on the D'Lites. Perhaps you could work on something specific and prepared since you know who your target will be well in advance.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Torn and restored napkin.
"$100 Dollar Bill Switch" or "Mismade Bill"
"Hanging Coins"
"Coin to Bottle"
"Cigarette thru Coin"
"3 Fly"
"Coins to Glass"
Pen thru Tongue.
Finger ring and shoelace/cord.
Animations such as floating bill.
Multiplications of balls, cigarettes,etc.
Silk productions, color changes and vanishes.

There are actually quite a few effects that are suitable.
You may need to use some sign language or mime a bit for some.
Visibility is a key factor.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I know it may seem a little odd for a deaf person such as myself to give advice on performing in loud rooms. But I actually have a lot of experience at this. Not only have a performed in a lot of loud rooms but to me sound is a factor I always have to work around. Basically, I can't tell if the room is to loud for them to hear me so I have to go by their reactions.

Do a lot of mime and gestures. For instance there is a common gesture that says, "Pick a card." You obviously spread the cards before them and gesture for them to pick one.

If you need them to do something then you demonstrate what it is you need them to do. For instance in one of my coin routines I place 4 coins in their hand and have them shake them between their cupped hands. To tell them to do this I simply demonstrate what I need them to do with my own hands.

I'm not saying every single trick you do will work like this but put some thought into some of them and think of ways to tell them what you need them to do without words.

It's best to get their attention with something very visual at first. Once you have their attention it's much easier to get them to work with you on other things.

I'll give you an example that happens to me quite often when I'm out at a club. Someone might ask me if I can perform for their friends. The first thing I'd do is something very visual that needs no introduction. I might barrow one of their cigarettes and make it float. Now they want to watch me. So I can pull out my coins, cards or whatever and go into my routines.

I hope this helps.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Fandango
View Profile
New user
England
69 Posts

Profile of Fandango
Card Manipulation works
dg
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of dg
The Silent Treatment by Jon Allen.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I like to open with David Regal's Sudden Deck in a loud room. Also his Pasteboard Massacre is good because of the visual presentation.

Another card trick in a loud situation is Jay Sankey's Practice Pack! IMHO.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
EranH
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of EranH
A lot of coin effects are very visual and require very little talking. I've heard Shoot Ogawa has quite a lot of work that is also very visual.
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Many of the Magic effects that Jaz mention can be done to music, Many times I practice my magic (Close Up)to music so if a place is loud or loud with music then I use hand gesture so they can follow what is about to happen. At club when I do the floating bill, I crush the bill into a ball to then try to balance it on my finger and it keeps falling into my other hand and after a few tries I put it on my palm and point at it to then have it float to my finger, I do this with out saying a word, and with music in the background it looks great.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic in loud rooms? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL