The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tomorrow's the big day. :-D (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

William Yu
View Profile
New user
Muncie/Marion/Evansville, Indiana
31 Posts

Profile of William Yu
Tomorrow is my first night as a walk around/table hopping magician. :-D Not to say I'm being thrown over into the deep end or anything, but I'm doing it at my college campus dining commons. No money will come my way, but at least I'll be seeing what routines work and what routines don't. about 2000 people are expected to show up since tomorrow is both a day of fun and games as well as food. I've prepared a bunch of routines but remembering them has been unbareably painful so I've written it down...hopefully I'll be able to just remember them as I go along. fortunately a few nights ago I had my friends just completely humiliate me by heckling the snot out of me and I think that I actually did alright. so...the main goal now is to remember that if someone heckles me..it wont be as bad as the night before...and I'm wearing a red not so shiny sateen button up with black pants tomorrow....so I think I have that covered pretty well. I still need to run over which pockets will have which items...but I think for the most part that I have everything covered. I've practiced and practiced all that I can...so now I've just got to let the magic do the talking. Here's a list of things that I'm performing tomorrow. Give me any final suggestions and tips as you see fit. Smile I have 13 routines with patter lined up for tomorrow. most of the coin will be for walk around as the rest will be for table magic. spectators will range from 2-15 depending on the table. tell me what you think:
Routine #1
2 Card Monte
(force the 10 of Spades)
Fish Sandwich
Mentalism 10 in wallet

Routine #2
4 card force – cull
The Daley Show

Routine #3
Lazarus
Pyro Perception

Routine #4
ACR – force 9 of hearts
• Pass to top
• Card to bottom
• Card to box

Routine #5
ACR
• The pass
• Ortiz’s Herman shake
• This is the lower half of the deck

Routine #6
ACR
• Card to bottom
• Card to top
• Card to mouth

Routine #7
ACR
• erdinace
• Dribble pull out
• Hot Shot Cut

Routine #8
Joker’s wild
Retention of vision vanish
Marlo’s rub a dub vanish

Routine #9
Trinity routine
Coin revolution

Routine # 10
Pull coin out of air
Muscle pass
Coin through fingers

Routine # 11
Rubber band trick
Coin through glass
Pen through dollar

Routine # 12
Biddle trick – use rubber bands
Graffiti – just do a double lift don’t do the pocket routine
Quick trick – have them hold out their hand to receive it…then do the trick

Routine # 13
Biddle Trick - use rubber bands
Do as I do
Renegade

any comments would be appreciated. Smile
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
First of all, kudos to you for the courage.
Secondly, I think 13 routines is way overboard. Keep it at 7 maximum. Also, I see a lot of ACR routines, why not combine them into one strong ACR routine? I think that'd be nicer.
Other than that, If you can do couple non-card trick routines then I think you may be able to have a great experience.
Have a good time performing. Hope you enjoy the experience.
rememeber. YOU and THEM are both out there to have fun. not to fool or to be fooled Smile
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I would go a step farther and only focus on your 5 strongest sets. Remember to open with an non card trick. and remember ITS NOT ABOUT THE TRICK!! Its about having fun and letting them have fun with you . that will discourage the hecklers and such. Its not look how cool I am , I can do something you can't do .

enjoy it !!

Quote:
On 2006-02-14 02:02, mc_magi wrote:
First of all, kudos to you for the courage.
Secondly, I think 13 routines is way overboard. Keep it at 7 maximum. Also, I see a lot of ACR routines, why not combine them into one strong ACR routine? I think that'd be nicer.
Other than that, If you can do couple non-card trick routines then I think you may be able to have a great experience.
Have a good time performing. Hope you enjoy the experience.
rememeber. YOU and THEM are both out there to have fun. not to fool or to be fooled Smile
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I recommend that you rehearse, which is not the same as practicing.

Also, take comfort in Humphrey Davy's infamous saying, "I have learned more from my mistakes than from my successes."
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
I carry maybe 7 tricks on a gig a rarely do them all for everyone. an amature does lots of tricks for the same people and a professional does the same few tricks for hundreds
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I agree that these are more routines than you normally need, but since this is William's first night, it's a good opportunity to try his material and see what works and what doesn't.

You might want to have your list of routines written on an index card. Actually check them off as you do them. You could even jot down a quick rating so later you'll remember which ones went best. Since you are doing this as a freebie, you don't need to worry about taking a minute every now and then to do this.

Best of luck!
James
Buddy_815
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Buddy_815
Big props!! I hope it goes really well for you!!

-Buddy
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1706 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Good Luck-

Look forward to your

feedback after the event as to what worked best etc then Im sure you will end up with 5-6 strong routines
William Yu
View Profile
New user
Muncie/Marion/Evansville, Indiana
31 Posts

Profile of William Yu
I just finished everything. I walked out and I was completely mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted. I went around and did table magic, and tried to do about every routine two or three times. I ended up seeing that the most effective routine was my ACR routine when consistently pretended to screw up. the people would both laugh as well as be amazed. Overall I got great reactions and everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves. they all got good reactions, but the ones that got great reactions were 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, and 13. The one that I thought would have gotten a better reaction but didn't was Routine 3. I ended up adding Jay Sankey's Carbon Paper routine into it, but that still didn't help much. The funniest pop I got tonight was #13. the people literally started screaming and yelling...which honestly felt really good. Everyone had fun from what I saw, and I really enjoyed it. The only sad thing about my night was that I didn't get to practice my coin routines # 9, and 10 since everyone was sitting down at a round circle and the angles werent really that great. I ended up combining most of my ACR's together for the night, and worked primarily ACR for the entire night with different variations of #3. When I finally did #3 in a way that surprised everyone, I started to realize that more guys were amazed than girls when it dealt with the fire. so that helps me to focus on what to and not to do. I think by the end of the two hours I had shown about 250 people my routines. Everyone was nice, even the hecklers enjoyed themselves. Especially when I did card to mouth with my ACR. In the end, an amazingly fulfilling as well as exhausting night.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Props to you. SOunds like you had a great night and obvioulsy you learned a lot.
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
Why on god's green earth would you need thirteen routines for you show...i do college close up a lot and I only have three routines set in stone maybe, most of my stuff I make up as I go along. The key with college kids is you need to have fun, also you need to show that you have confidence oozing from every part of your body. College kids aren't an easy crowd, out of all those routines I think you best bet would be to do a multiple selection routine, an ACR, and pyro perception...however I would say that the most important part of you show is going to be how well you misdirect the audience, college kids seem to always want to look where you don't want them too. You need to be sure that you can move their attention elsewhere. Hope you do well.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Steve it is already over for him. I am sure he did all of those routines to find out what works for him, so he can refine it. That is what I got out of his post. Was I correct?
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
I love the fact that this thread, where the performer is repeatedly warned against having "too many effects" has been back to back with this one for a day:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=5&8

...where the performer ran out of material.

-jjg
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 14:32, jgravelle wrote:
I love the fact that this thread, where the performer is repeatedly warned against having "too many effects" has been back to back with this one for a day:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=5&8

...where the performer ran out of material.

-jjg

Very true and very funny. Thanks for pointing that out!
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
So how did it go?
Expiring minds want to know!
lol
MXRay
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 19:30, mxray wrote:
So how did it go?
Expiring minds want to know!
lol
MXRay

Read a few posts above -- he already told us how it went. Smile

Brian
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
Oops, my mistake!
Thanks,
MXRay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tomorrow's the big day. :-D (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL