The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What do you think of these cups? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
What do you think of these cups for a cups and balls routine, especially for busking? I think they look very "streetish". Size is ok, to work with some decent finaly loads.

http://www.strasserweb.net/christof/Temp/Cups.jpg

I'd really appreciate your feedback on this one, if only in two words.

C.
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Interesting...

Okay, I have one more word right? How about a few more?

The tapered bell shape should allow them to have some "attic" space, but they won't be too stable. I can't see if the bottom is dished to allow the balls to sit on the cup without rolling off.

I think you'll find the load capacity (except for height? Hmmm) isn't as large as you imagine. The inner curve will restrict the load size to the point that the illusion of " load bigger than the cup" is reversed.

Without a rolled rim, they run the chance of getting bent out of shape easily if dropped.

They do look good for a possible Ren Faire adaptation of some sort though.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Wow, did that subject line get my attention.

I'd like to see how they stack up and what base looks like. Aesthetically, they're okay... but I got spoiled by the "museum" cup photos a little while back...

Regards,

-jjg
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Well, a friend forwarded me that pic. Apparently, he found them on ebay (I couldn't locate them yet).

Thanks Dave, however, for pointing out the possible issues. I guess I'll stay away from these and save for Johnson's or Foxy Stainless Steel.

Best,
C.
- - -
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't think these are magician friendly cups.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
A little too tall for my taste. Unless they have cold beer in them.....
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Well said Pete. Ditto that!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Too tall
small load
who knows what the saddle looks like
elevator move probably impossible.

just get some real cups Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 01:00, Frank Starsini wrote:
Too tall
small load
who knows what the saddle looks like
elevator move probably impossible.

just get some real cups Smile

I agree. The cups also don't look modern which may be a concern depending on how you present the cups and balls.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
They look very awkward to use in a Performance situation. I also think that to a Spectator they look very Foreign. I'd just get some normal ones.
Yours,
Matt Wood
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Christof:

Can you show us two other photos of them stacked and sitting mouth down? It's a little hard for me to give mush inputbased on that one photo. Measurements would also help us think through load sizes and how they will look in regard to the cup.

However, if you can handle them in a routine, then I say go for it. In all due respect to all the other posts, you can do C & B without "nesting" the cups and without certain moves.

They may not look like other people's cups, but that's not a bad thing!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Terry: Sorry, can't show you any other photos as the cups are not mine. As I said, a friend forwarded me the pic from ebay but I couldn't find them there.

I agree with most of the concerns Dave an others have mentioned. What I'm currently looking for is definitely a set of cups, which is "multi-purpose", i.e., with which classic routines are possible as well.

However, what I liked about them is precisely their unusual design. If other people perform the C&B's with Starbucks cups, coffee mugs or small Pringles cans, a fun routine should be possible with these as well.

Anyway, right now I do want a somewhat ordinary set or - as Frank put it - "real cups". Smile

Regards,
C.
- - -
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 09:57, Christof wrote:
I agree with most of the concerns Dave an others have mentioned. What I'm currently looking for is definitely a set of cups, which is "multi-purpose", i.e., with which classic routines are possible as well.

An 'ordinary' set of cups is going to be far more versatile than these. There aren't many (any?) advantages of getting these cups.

Save your money and go for the real thing.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a cup on eBay right now that is a bargain. Normally, I wouldn't even recommend anything by Magic Makers, but this is the first time they have done anything remotely original.

They evidently took the design of the standard Paul Fox cup, which they had copied, and expanded it to Jumbo Cup size. So instead of having a direct knockoff of a cup, which is so common these days, they have actually done something a little different -- even if it is only to change the dimensions of the cups.

I don't have a set of these yet, but I will be getting a set soon. If they have any weight to them at all, they will be well worth the $99 - $149 street price.

If you do a search for cups on eBay in the magic section, you will find them. They are called "Mega Street Cups."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
I think that the mouth of the cups are too big for me, they would get in the way of some of my steals.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Thanks for flagging those up for us Bill - that's an interesting development.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I just bought a set, there are 6 left. Will post a review of these when received. Looks like a steal though.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I still think these look 'dated', but I do see an advantage with using this style of cup. Why not hold out a ball in the attic and use these as a set of 'gimmick free' chop cups? You could come up with an interesting routine if you use the loaded cup 'similar' to how Alex Elmsley handles his final load.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Bill,

Thanks for the head up. Those cups on ebay really do look nice. I just ordered a set to try out. At that price, you really can't go too far wrong. By the way, I've never ordered from Magic Makers before. Is that ebay store their offical site?

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One would think so, but it isn't. Magic Makers sells only to dealers. Their definition of dealer is somewhat flexible. If you order a really big load of their stuff they will give you a sweetheart deal on it.

Much of their material is knockoff merchandise, and a lot of it simply doesn't work at all.

Knowing the history of this particular dealer like I do, and knowing more than a little about the price break on cups, I seriously doubt that there are only 30 sets of these. I would estimate that they made at least 300 sets.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What do you think of these cups? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL