The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Announcements (Please Read) » » ATTENTION - Occasional Slowness of the Site » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
444 Posts

Profile of Gene
Hello everyone,

It turns out the recent occurrences of site slowness appears to be due to the search engine.

The processes which keep the word list updated with regard to post editing and deleting is the main culprit, and that can't be shut off without having to re-index the entire text of the database, and searches would not be accurate without those processes. The last time we re-indexed the database it took a complete weekend going around the clock, and it meant shutting down the Café during that entire time as well.

I will not be taking any direct action on this until I speak to Steve, who is away at a conference right now. At that time we will decide how to proceed. I don't want to take any rash action, as I do not want to lose any features the search engine has. There aren't many forum search engines which offer exact phrase searches, and I don't think there is anyone here who would want to lose that.

So, please be patient as we work this out. I will be making a suggestion to the staff which, I hope, will reduce the frequency of the periods of slowness, but please feel free to post here in this topic if you run into a period of slowness. If you do, and the slowness isn't at the time you posted, please include the time of the slowness in your post.

Thanks everyone!
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
TOM WIESE
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of TOM WIESE
GENE:

I have read your commnet in regards to the slowness of the search engine. However my concern is that I no longer have a search box. The search field is missing all together. Please help.

TOM WIESE
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2710 Posts

Profile of John Long
Ditto
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Tom and John,
The way I read Gene's message(s) he's removed the Search box until the problem can be addressed. Now that he knows where the problem lies, there's no sense in making things worse by letting the problem continue.

Gene's a smart guy. It'll come back, better than ever.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
YES that's right guys. There is no search box right now.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Good luck, Gene! Thanks for all you do.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
By the way, thanks Gene for all your efforts making The Magic Café such a great site.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I don't know if this has to do with the search engine, but I can't view my posts from the last 30 days in my profile.

Thanks for the hard work!
gdomeier
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of gdomeier
I also noticed the "view my posts" for the last 30 days link is missing.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Yes, the "view posts" links are connected with the search engine, so those are temporarily shut down as well.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Mary, your dog keeps barking. I think it needs to go out.
This is my 18 th year on being a member of the cafe.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Jake's just saying "hello" to everyone, that's all. If he needed to go out, he'd be sitting by the door waiting for someone to notice. Smile
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
What will I do if I can't search? Perhaps I can find. Perhaps we can all go outside and find something. Instead of all this incessant searching.

Thank you, Magic Café, for helping me understand that what I was searching for -- was in my backyard all the time.
fib
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Announcements (Please Read) » » ATTENTION - Occasional Slowness of the Site » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL