The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ran out of effects!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
I Cant believe I almost ran out of effects tonight, I was performing Close up for a Valentines 10th wedding anniversary, However instead of roaming from table to table I was at one table for 2 hrs performing for the same 20 poeple ...now don't get me wrong, It went down a treat but after performing for 120 mins for the same group I was getting a little concerned that I hadnt brought enough material. I was booked for what I thought was tablehopping I managed a mix of cards, mentalism, close up & just about got through! Considering an average effect/trick is around 2-3 mins I managed pretty well ...As anyone else been in this situation? If so what happened?
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I had the same thing happen a few months back (there's a thread floating around on the Café about this too) where a walkaround show can turn into a full length performance...

Usually I find it happens at houseparties where you start perfoming for a group, the rest of the people stop talking and form a circle. You're now booked for 2 hours and end up having to perform for the entire group until they all have seen enough! Most performers do pack light when doing walkaround so it's quite a shock to have to suddenly switch into stage mode. It's so fun though!
Logic Defied
Dave Lewis
View Profile
New user
Anaheim, California
83 Posts

Profile of Dave Lewis
The exact same thing happened to me. I was hired to do strolling magic and wound up standing in front of what I thought of the first table. There were about twenty people seated there and the hostess says "That's everybody! Let's see whatcha got!"

So my five to seven killer effects lasted about fifteen minutes of the two hours I was hired to work. It was a dang good thing I also had balloons with me because I did the rest of the time making the weirdest, most elaborate balloon creations I could think of. Fortunately, everyone wanted them and it all worked out fine.

I learned a couple of things that night:

1. Make sure you know that the client understands what it means when they ask for walkaround, table hopping or strolling magic.

2. Always bring plenty of effects, just in case the unexpected happens.

I tend to learn the hard way. I was lazy and just figured it would be another strolling job where I could do the same few tricks over and over and all would be fine. I didn't bring my case full of other things I could have done. I got lucky.
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
That's why my jacket have 30 pockets: and each one is loaded with a trick that I'll never show, only in a special night, and it's happened (again) last night... I just came home (it's 2:15am) after a normal night performing in several restaurants. There was a party of S. Valentine in one of the best place in Mulberry Street, with one of the best customer of the restaurant. The host was giving me money and keep calling more tricks. I've performed all my repertoire and more, and more and I was close enough to show the disappearance of my thumb... So, after finish my resources, I start looking at the people's coats, and I begin to borrow ring, pens, glasses, lighter, cigarettes and anything could use to make a trick to amaze my customer.
I've left the restaurant when two people was sleeping on the table, and everybody was satisfy. Myself too.
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
I almost never have that happen, but, I know what you mean about the situation. My problem is I make a lot of stuff up on the fly (as far as performing and trying to 'feel out' what the spectator may or may not want to see), and since I'm pretty much a purist when it comes to cards/coins, I've study so many routines and effects, that they'll be asleep before I run out. What I did, and it's mentioned in Giobbi's Card College series, is make a deck (and I'm hoping you do some cards) and write on each card a different effect. Have that as your practice deck and you pull it out every night, deal yourself a few cards out...and perform the effects given. It's a great way to practice and a great way to constantly re-enforce your brain about the effects you do perform, cause I forget some a lot of the time and it helps me when I get to the point where I 'think' that I've ran out of things to do.
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
This is when Jazz card magic comes in handy. It my opinion that your not a true "CARD GUY" if all of your card effects are routined. I mean its nice to have a good structure of what your going to do, but a lot of times I approach tables not even knowing how I'm gonna end the card trick I started.
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Hi Karbon kid & Joe I appreciate what you guys are saying I really do but I cant justify cards alone for 2 hours to the same group of people, as in my post I performed a mix of cards, close up & mentalism & this went down very well but after 2 hours I would have been struggling to find something else. I even managed to get 10 mins out of 1 sheet of paper (heaven & hell)Moral of the story & memo to myself...Take more than you need.
Ive performed for the same group of people before (house parties & the like) but the max on those occasions was 1 hour never 2 hours. I managed to string out the c***** t**r to 10 mins but didn't want to repeat to many times as the crowd was all over me like a cheap suit ...I mean I was really in the trenches knee deep! With enough "ammo" for 2 hours I just scraped through...Ah well definatly a lesson learned.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 10:04, Joe Russell wrote:
This is when Jazz card magic comes in handy. It my opinion that your not a true "CARD GUY" if all of your card effects are routined. I mean its nice to have a good structure of what your going to do, but a lot of times I approach tables not even knowing how I'm gonna end the card trick I started.

Might not be the best advice. To start a card trick and not know how it will end. That can blow up in your face quick.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I agree. "Winging it" is not a good idea for a professional at a paid gig.
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
I'm with you Magic Mike, and appreciate your position. There is just something (and this is the card freak in me) that them 52 cards have limitless possiblities when studied to the nth degree. More than any other piece of magic apparatus, and it packs pretty light.

I work at a bar most every friday night, and I pretty much do cards, but, I do other stuff to, like you were saying, but, knowing them card effects is a gold mine, especially if you can constantly climax, switch plots, perform mentalism, locations, it's just so limitless, and whereas the spectators view every effect to them is completely different. Completely!

I guess it's all in how you work it though, but, I, not unlike yourself, am a HUGE fan of impromptu magic and everything that I've read and studied from saltshaker through table to cigarette magic has done nothing but give back to me just as much as I put in.

Sorry, but, I wing it all the time, as for effect choice/ending. I think that maybe Joe meant that he knows his stuff so well that he could end any routine in any way shape or form that may present itself during the course of the effect to maximize impact of it, and the spontaneous nature of it. I think it keeps it fresh for not only you, but, the spectators as well. I am also to understand that maybe only Joe and myself share this idea of performing.

Nice to meet you Joe.
Todd Lamanske
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Todd Lamanske
Guys, guys, guys. This should only happen to you once. And the answer is not to bring more tricks/material. The answer is to ask the right questions when booking the gig. First question, "How many people will be at the event?". If you know there will only be 25 to 30 people there, then you know that as soon as you start doing tricks for a small group, withing 5 minutes, everybody will be gathered around you. When the client is still on the phone you have to educate them. 99% of the time they don't really know what would be best for their event. I would have recommended a parlour type show or a 30 to 45 minute formal close-up show.

Ask more questions on the front end. You and your client will be much happier.

Todd
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
About Jazz Card magic
Some people including me can definatly handle it, and because I do it so much it has basicly become an art form. I find it a challenge and it is impossable the way I was trained to ever mess up. Its called PRACTICE!
Who is Tattoo Joe?
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
I also agree with Jazz magic - I am a huge fan of true impromptu magic. Involving sleights only and quick wits.
Although it can't yet reach the same climax as my routined work can, (no duh, I've carefully selected where climax goes and practically every word I'm going to say) I believe that Jazz magic can turn out very very strongly in favor in some instances - just like in music. If you aren't a good jazz musician then you can flunk, but if you rae truly good at it, then its just a flock.
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Quote:
On 2006-02-15 21:53, Joe Russell wrote:
About Jazz Card magic
Some people including me can definatly handle it, and because I do it so much it has basicly become an art form. I find it a challenge and it is impossable the way I was trained to ever mess up. Its called PRACTICE!

I take a stance between the two sides, I have my structured routines, but it's ALWAYS good to know some 'endings' that you can throw onto any card effect...
Logic Defied
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Todd hit the nail on the head. The client doesn't know what will work best, you have to find out as much as you can about the party and then suggest the entertainment format that will work best based on your experience. A close-up show or parlour show would have fit the bill perfectly.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
When I started in magic, I got the immediate notion that I had to have a stand-up show just in case, and started working toward that right away.

I was correct.

Have all your strolling stuff but make sure you can do an hour of stand-up if called upon to do so or if the situation presents itself.

I've gone to many a gig where "strolling" is what was called for but it ended up being a one-hour parlor show.

Lots of great effects that work there.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
2 hours at one table??? isn't that overdoing it? I don't see how someone can enjoy any performer at their table for 2 hours no matter how good he is...........
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Hi Eric you probably misunderstand the situation slightly ...I was booked to do a tablehop at a private function(wedding anniversary) However instead of hopping I kicked off at a rather large table & due to circunstances beyond my control I ended up staying at the same corner of that same table with 25 or so people gathered round. If It was as you put it "overdoing it" then the only way I could have underdone it was to leave. The reason I was there for so long with the same group was the fact that they hadnt seen a close up guy before & they really enjoyed it! Go figure...I can relate to what your saying though, If I had to watch magic myself for 2 hrs (it was more like 1 hr 50 mins) then I would be bored out my Tree!! Guess that's the power of magic!
This is what I performed....
CARDS: Various tricks with a nomal pack inc: Signed ambitious: OOTW : 4 Ace revalation: Twins:.Devastation. Holospex:

OTHER PACKS Osterlinds viewed ESPprediction : Rainbow deck (Luv that), Revalation (W.Dobson): Whiteout : 3 card monte (M.skinner) : Royal exchange

MENTALISM: Stealth wallet (15 mins) Killer Elite Pro (poker chip won out this time)!
Mental yarn (B.Goldman) Prediction with Sugar packets. C***** T***

CLOSE UP/MISCELLANEOUS Kovari’s ESP board : “Cut here” (clip line type effect) :Ring on rope: Anti gravity ring (e***** b ***) Subterfuge with Penny then Paper clip (plastic coated) : PK Pen : Spoon bend (This freaked em):Ring n chain : Melt : Heaven/Hell (paper fold) Coin Matrix : Coin thru glass: T.T (Silk then salt)Lucky Lottery: Torn & restored dollar bill

All of the above were intermixed with one another i.e some cards, a bit of close p, a few more cards, some mentalism thrown in, etc……

Not even a Toilet break! & not a sponge ball in sight!
All of the above after turning up 25 mins late!....long story, I really need to get one of them Sat Nav's
31 Posts

Profile of Griff Howell
Hey Mike - Todd Lemanske is right. You booked yourself in for a little too long there buddy!
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I think there is an issue here of "turning over the crowd". I think a good performer can/will build to a climax and then "leave em wanting more."

The technique I use in this situation is to remove myself formally after I feel the growing crowd has seen enough. This is simple enough as saying something like "let me do one more for you and then I'm going to walk around a little bit or take a short break." This will allow the crowd to dissapate and keep the performer in control.

I've seen more than one magician do some great stuff to build a crowd and then peter out after they are assembled.

Finally, don't get me wrong about Jazzing with magic, I like it and I do it. But I tend to save it for more casual gigs or for repeat customers at restaurants. For the most part, I only use my tried-and-true material at regular gigs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ran out of effects!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL