The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Anybody... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Anybody have any good refrences on reading people and or card counting?

It would be most helpful.

I figured yous guys would be the best to ask.

Thanks.

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Caro's book of poker tells. its the best you cant beat it
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
halcon
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of halcon
For card counting search the internet. there are programs you can use to help you with your counting.

Halcon
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Any recommendations? PM if you like. Confidential.

Thanks again.

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
Quote:
On 2006-02-14 22:35, xjesterx wrote:
Anybody have any good refrences on reading people and or card counting?

It would be most helpful.

I figured yous guys would be the best to ask.

Thanks.

Jester

For any gambling-related books on a variety of topics, I'd do a search for the obscenely long list Jason England posted awhile back.

However, for your specific question, you can't go wrong with Read the Dealer by Steve Forte.
"...if you have to say you is, you ain't."--Jimmy Hoffa
meijin
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
189 Posts

Profile of meijin
Caro's stuff is a bit outdated...but still a good read.

Annie Duke has a DVD out called Advanced Texas Hold'em and in it she includes a lot of the tell reading that she has gotten from the FBI and other sources. I attended a camp/class where she taught on this about a year ago. very good stuff. I have made a lot of money playing with a lot of the stuff that Annie showed me.

Andy Bloch has co-authored a new book called The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Poker Tells. It also has some good stuff in it.

In general, go to Amazon and check out interrogation books that cover the Reid Technique and Kinesic methods. A lot will apply to reading tells.

Hope that helps.

Michael
Michael

There are two groups of people that violate basic principles in any endeavor: idiots and experts. I tend to play poker with most of the idiots!

Partial paraphrase from Jason England comment
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Caro has a DVD which is easiar to learn from, I think.

The more I learn about card counting the more I think it's usless.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
meijin
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
189 Posts

Profile of meijin
The DVD isn't that much better.

I use to count cards...but poker is much easier to make money..,
Michael

There are two groups of people that violate basic principles in any endeavor: idiots and experts. I tend to play poker with most of the idiots!

sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
The best thing for tells is just to look at everyone and notice what they do when they have a good hand and what they do when there bluffing. everyone that plays low limit holdem has many eazy to read tells that will basicly tell you what they have everytime.
Caros book just gets your mind thinking in that way
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
J Wessmiller
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
306 Posts

Profile of J Wessmiller
I really enjoyed Caro's book. I suggest going to a bookstore and thumbing through it, then decide whether or not to pick it up. The majority of stuff in it is definitely still revelant.

Card counting- check out Edward Thorp's Beat the Dealer.

be well,
JW
Think you know Erdnase? Take my quiz

http://wessmiller.blogspot.com
meijin
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
189 Posts

Profile of meijin
Mr. Wessmiller:

When I mentioned that Caro's book is a bit out dated, it has to do with all of the information that has come forward since it was originally published. Unfortunately, they didn't do much of an update since it was originally published.

When you get into Reid and Kinesic methods/techniques, you see where things like adaptors and hooding come into play on some of his old stand bys.
Michael

sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
I think most of tells are just things you notice.
all the book does is give you a basic guide so that you can learn to spot you own tells when your at the table
meijin
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
189 Posts

Profile of meijin
Sodman12:

In a VERY simplistic look at tells, you are right. However, you have to know what you are seeing means and that is where a lot of it comes into play. You can see the guy make the bet or move all in and then lean away from the table with his hands behind his head as he waits on you to decide what to do. So what does that tell you? Knowing what it means and seeing it can be two quite different things.

Michael
Michael

sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Yeah but what if when that guy leans back it means hes bluffing when in the book it says that he has a good hand?
that's why looking for your own tells is better
you make a valid point there are plenty of times when early in a game I use the basic tells but at the end of the night you need to know each person when in a tounry the price of a misteak(heh) can be higher than one in the begining of the night
Cliff Rusnick
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Cliff Rusnick
After you've learnt card counting, there is a program which is kinda just like a blackjack game where you just play blackjack, but it's very realistic. it also keeps ocunt with you incase you lost you're place, good for learning. however, I forget the name. does anyone know what I'm talking about? and the name of the program?
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Thank you folks. so, Caro is the one huh? I want to get as much information on these as I can. Reading people and a dead on counting system.

Again I thank you all. I am up to anything else.

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Beyond tells by james a mckenna is also good
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Anybody... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL