The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ambiance Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
Hello all,

I recently had a gig for a grand opening where the client simply wanted ambiance magic. They would rather hire jugglers and stilt-walkers where there's audience interactions. The traffic was pretty heavy, and they wanted to keep them moving. So, the whole time, I simply did the linking rings. Link, unlink, link, unlink. It was painful. Do you know any other effects I could do in this situation?
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
Sounds tough. I have no idea what I would do in that situation...hmmm...I'll make sure to PM you if I think of anything in the future.

-jlareau
:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Eeeewww?!?! Smile Man that is tough.. If I'm understanding this, you couldn't let anyone stop for even a minute? What kind of performing area did you have to work with?

How about balloon animals?!? Nevermind that would be just a painfull..

Tell us more about your client, and what he wanted from you. Then let's see what we can come up with.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
How about some card productions?
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
They could stop and watch, but I can't gather a crowd. Most of them are outdoors and surrounded so card productions are out of the question. I just wish I could juggle.
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
How about coin productions.. like a 3 fly?

I've done some jumbo card trick productions outside.. but I can see your delema..

Could you ask for voluenteers?
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
That sounds pretty tough. Can you tell the type of client?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
I know that it's tough to turn down a gig but... could you say no? Was it something that might lead to other gigs? Was the remuneration fantastic? Might you have even considered saying no?
If you gained some experience, furthered your craft or made a ton o' money then perhaps it was worth it. But you sound as if it was torture. Maybe finding out more about the client and situation could have helped.

- Bill
That's MISTER Swami Bill to you.
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
Yup, it payed well. It was a grand opening of a bank.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I've done this sort of show in the past and it's not as bad as many here would make it out to be.
Salazar, while I don't do the linking rings (at least, not in any form that anyone here would recognize them), I do perform the Pom-Pon Stick, Professor's Nightmare, and my Jumbo Three-Card Monte (Mirror Monte).
These all work well for people "on the move" as it were.
Magic1
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
386 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Salazar, Great question.

I have the same issue with corporate shows, and I perdonally invite all with ideas for "crowd drawing" effects to personal message me.

But as for your issue, D-lite and D-rose are eye grabbers, Joel Bauer's instant reset torn and restored paper, the paper christmas tree, levitations of any kind, fake swallowing sword, needle through arm (maybe innapropriate but is eye grabbing), misers dream (bank opening), throw streamers, changing silk,s, etc. Best Magic1 in Los Angeles
Mister Hyde
View Profile
New user
New York City
87 Posts

Profile of Mister Hyde
Flash wallet, flash paper into something productions? Watch for fire detectors Smile
Rajat Mittal
View Profile
New user
London
98 Posts

Profile of Rajat Mittal
I assume you also need almost no reset time and the light isn't good for IT?

With that in mind:

Lots of rope stuff
Fake sword swallowing (already mentioned, but a good "ambience" idea with an appropriate audience)
Egg bag
Jumbo Hot Rod (I'm not sure about the angles)
Handkerchief Magic
Card Flourish Routines
Snow storm (Not very often, but a couple of times maybe - depends how the client wants their space treated ofcourse)
Knife thru arm (use your judgement)
Regular card tricks adapted to Jumbo cards - I've done twisting the aces on stage sometimes
Multiplying balls - with your hand in front of your stomach to cover the angles rather than on the side
Gozinta boxes
Simple Jumbo Coin routines
Copperfield's Flying Illusion Smile

That might keep you busy for a while...
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
Just to list a few others that come to mind...
Mouth coil, silk fountain, air bourne glass, scewer thru tongue, misers dream, wilting flower, waltzing matilda silk, shoot cards, talking skull, Art o matic, Fearson levatation....
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Mister Hyde
View Profile
New user
New York City
87 Posts

Profile of Mister Hyde
pen through everything
tiptophat
View Profile
Loyal user
Wesley
247 Posts

Profile of tiptophat
Items that I have done in similar situations are the following:
Professor's nightmare
cut and restored rope
ring and rope
a rope escape
and a variation of Michael Amarr's Las Vegas Leaper done with regular size and jumbo size cards, depending on the setting.
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
I just got asked to do the same type of show. I posted another thread regarding this and got some great advice there:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......5&14

-If anyones interested.

-Jlareau
:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ambiance Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.52 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL