The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Very Cool Trompe L'Oeil Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jake Boone
View Profile
New user
Cottage Grove, OR
78 Posts

Profile of Jake Boone
Just found an interesting set of illusions linked from BoingBoing.net, painted in rooms so that from a certain point, you see... well, just look for yourself. (I did a cursory search, and I don't *think* these have been posted before.)

http://www.2loop.com/3drooms.html

-- Jake
"Trust everyone... but cut the cards."
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
That is pretty much awsome.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thanks for sharing that finding Jake. Impressive!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jimmy Y
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Y
Very impressive, thanks Jake.
But I think I'm gonna faint when sitting in a room like this.
Nice to meet you Smile
Jimmy
Jake Boone
View Profile
New user
Cottage Grove, OR
78 Posts

Profile of Jake Boone
When I lived in Germany, I visited the "Neue Residenz" in Bamberg. It had a one-story high ballroom, but the walls and ceiling were painted with columns, historical figures, and architectural details so that, when one stood in the exact center of the room, it appeared as if the room were three stories high and open to the sky. It was very impressive.

Ah, here's a picture! It's not taken from the "sweet spot," so you can see the difference between the obvious curve of the ceiling on the right, and the much less obvious curve behind the chandelier. I love this stuff.

http://tinyurl.com/g83w5

-- Jake
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
The BoingBoing pictures are terrific! I have a basic grasp of perspective drawing, but I don't think I could lay out lines with that level of precision. Anyone know of books, websites, etc. that discuss the drafting and mechanics of such illusions? None of the trompe l'oeil books I have seen have dealt with the specifics of this sort of perspective planning.
Bruce
Jake Boone
View Profile
New user
Cottage Grove, OR
78 Posts

Profile of Jake Boone
I don't know of any books that explain this, but if I were going to make an uneducated stab at it, I'd probably do something like this:

1) Make design on PowerPoint slide or similar
2) Set up projector at point where you want illusion to look "right."
3) Open the slide, leave projector on, and trace design on walls, ceiling, floor.
4) Paint room.

I imagine this would work, but it may not; I've never tried it.

-- Jake
idris
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
38 Posts

Profile of idris
I think Jake has a good idea for starting, however you would have to take into account the changes in lighting, necessitating color shifts in what you paint so that the overall look worked correctly when you were done.

Jerry
Jerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Very Cool Trompe L'Oeil Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL