The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » DIY Instruction sheets? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I am curious as to what you all do who make your own decks, when it comes to printing up instructions. Are the usual handlings public domain, or do you purchase rights to reproduce pamphlets/booklets?

I ask because I am not an aspiring pitchman, but I want to make up some Svengalis for a "beginner magic set" for sale/giveaway at my meager platform shows. I don't know if that's considered out of bounds among stage workers, but I figured I wouldn't get hassled asking among pitchmen. If I wasn't busy on Sundays, (rev, after all) I might be at the local flea market with a stand. But alas, I'm just trying to meet costs of my mostly given-away show.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Ask and ye shall receive.... not me, someone who knows what their doing.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Nothing wrong with a BOR (back-of-the-room) sale of magic tricks at a magic show; in fact, it's routine for some performers.

As for DIY Svengali instructions, I don't see why you couldn't write your own explanation of how the deck works and a few easy effects for it. If it's compact enough (a half-sheet or perhaps a long strip), you could fold it up and wrap it around the deck inside the card case.

You may find it simpler and easier to buy the preprinted "101 Tricks" pamphlets that are available from wholesalers like FUN, Inc. and D. Robbins. The booklets look good, are inexpensive and are an easy sale. SETHB
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
tunafish
View Profile
Regular user
Everett, Wa
137 Posts

Profile of tunafish
I just took the instructions from a bought Svengali deck, and had 50 some of them printed at a print shop. I didn't feel that bad about it because I have seen this same set of instructions in several different Svengali decks, made by different companys.
Burntcircuit
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Burntcircuit
Prob overseas companies ripping off US manufactures again.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On 2006-08-19 11:17, Burntcircuit wrote:
Prob overseas companies ripping off US manufactures again.
Prob magic dealers ripping off eachother again.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Did you get them from Magic Makers by chance? I hear they do things like that.

Mark.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Is it really cost effective to make your own Svengali Decks? They come so cheap from the manufacturers... $.60 to $1.25 depending where you buy them and in how much bulk... is there really a benefit to making your own? I've seen dollar store decks, two for a dollar, so that means they're probably available for about 50 cents, which is a quarter each... it just seems, to me, that the hassle really isn't worth the extra 50 cents a deck, especially when they're marked up over 500 percent as it is when we pitch them...

I ask honestly - I really don't know, I'm so new to this business... what do you guys that do it this way think?
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Loftus is $0.60 plus shipping in lots of 2 gross. Mine actually cost me $0.703 each deck because they are so heavy. Even tho you can save something by doing them yourself (and having the key card cut) you have to ask yourself, "Is the time, effort, printing, gas....worth the trouble?" If it is...go for it. I'm just lazy.

Jon-O
jcmazzolado
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of jcmazzolado
I agree -
You can get so many great pitch items for around one dollar I can't see why you would want make them.
Also - we still need to support our magic dealers.
D. Robbins is a great company - they have low minimuns and ship really fast.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » DIY Instruction sheets? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL