The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Math Secrets! Revealed! $$$ Fun (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17661 Posts

Profile of Slim King
How's that?
I've purchased a bunch of Math/Magic books in the last few weeks and months. I've gleaned some righteously cool effects from the methods I've found! I'm on the hunt for more. It's becomming an obsession. I need more. Just one more. If you've got an effect or method that is so old that it's new or something that I've never heard of before, I'll give you a free ticket to Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure, Orlando. One day, Both Parks. The ticket is worth about $85, but I'm not sure you can actually buy one. I have more than one and I'd like to trade them all if I can find that many new things.
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Geronimo
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Geronimo
Heres one I just came across slim,

You know if you take any number reverse it and subtract the larger from the smaller you will end up with a multiple of 9.

Well I just discovered that the second number can be in any order and you will still get a multiple of 9.

I thought it was interesting anyway.

However I am not after tickets to Orlando as I live too far away.

B
Give me back my head!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17661 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks Mr. Freeman!
Unfortunately,I've already done a few effects using this theory/method on the Café here. Several dozen members participated. Not many people seem to see it if costumed correctly. I am looking for just such an effect but with something I haven't read and used yet. The metod you mentioned inspired my question.
Thanks again!
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
Hi Slim,

Here's a principle I believe I read about in one of the "Gatherings for Gardner" compilations. I'm not sure if any magicians or mentalists have utilized it yet, since it's a bit convuluted & may not be practical:

Think of any number, any number at all. Now write that number as words. For example, if you are thinking of 142, write out "One Hundred Forty Two". Count the number of letters and then write that number in words. Since there are 18 letters in "One Hundred Forty Two", you would write "eighteen". Then count those letters, and write out that number, and so on, and so on. Keep doing this until you arrive at the same number twice in a row. Now concentrate on the number you stopped at.
Hmmmm, I'm getting an impression, you are concentrating on the number "four"!

Of course, you always will end up with four, since the word "four" has four letter. In another language, the results would be different.

Hope you can use this,

Paul
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Just saw an ad for a new Harry Lorrayene book on number effects with the focus on presentational angles. presentation of these types of effects ahs always been a bit of a challenge so if Hsrry has come up with some interesting frames for the effects it t may be worth purchasing.
Also,if you do any 'numerological' readings, the number effects can take on a new dimension. Something that I always try to do is use numbers that have some meaning to teh audience participant..this tends to make it a bit more interesting than just using random numbers...but I'm sure you guys have considered that.

All the best,
John
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
449 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Of course, we can assume that you have looked at Jim Steinmeyer's new sequel to "Impuzzibilities," entitled "Further Impuzzibilities" -- ? There's a book test in there that can be done over the phone, of all things, and it's based on a math principle which I don't recall ever seeing before, though it's a pretty simple one. There are other math-based tricks in the booklet also.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17661 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I have both the new Harry Lorayne book, Mathematical Wizardry , and Further Impuzibilities too. I like these books and the things in them very much.
John...That one is a new on for me. Thanks so much! I'll play around with that one.
I did an experiment here on the Café also using a Numerology reading. It worked well!
Thanks Everyone
Dave
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
I've yet to see a review of the Lorayne _Mathematical Wizardry_ book.
The ad didn't make it sound very interesting. (And since Harry is such
a master salesman, this makes me wonder...)

Square TWO-digit numbers? That's covered in Corinda. Besides, there are
only 90 two-digit numbers.
Instantly add a column of numbers? Sounds like the Fibonacci trick.
Given a random six-digit number, immediately write four five-digit numbers
that sum to the target six-digit number? You could come up with
dozens of ways to do this easily.

Is there anything new (and interesting) in this book?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17661 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've just purchased four new books on Mathematics/Magic.
I am working my way through them. I too, am looking for something new. Haven't seen it yet. I'll keep looking!

Posted: Mar 18, 2006 10:41pm
--------------------------------------------
So far Cranial Fermentator is in the "Lead" with an effect that I've never heard of. Any others?
I can give out more than one ticket!
Thanks
Dave
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Hey Slim,
What are the 4 books so that I can put them on my list?
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Docc Hilford just released 3 new books on number effects:

Mestha: Book Of Numbers, Vol. 1
Qebhsennuf: Book Of Numbers, Vol. 2
Tuamautef: Book Of Numbers, Vol. 3

I have these on order, and I will be posting a review once I've had a choice to go through them.

BTW, Slim, have you ever checked out "Diabolical Divisors" by Alan Jackson in Apocalypse? People type in different numbers into a calculator, and with either a brief look or no look (depending on how you wish to present it), you can instantly state large numbers by which their number is evenly divisible!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17661 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Here's the four latest..there may be one more...
MATHeMAGIC
The Magical Math Book
Mathemagics
Mathematical Wizardry
Scott recommended all of these. There may be something like the Diobolical Divisor effect in Wizardry.
I would be willing to get Mathcastaspellonyou(sp) if I thought that it would have something NEW in it.
Dave
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Black stone use to do a trick with ten cards.
Have spectator(s) remember their card and number.
Magician would take cards and claim he moved their card(s).
magician has spectator move 1 card from top to bottom to prove it.
magician does or has spectator(s) do "down under shuffle."
top card is turned over and spectator(s) is/are asked if they want to keep it or name any card.
They spell out its name ( DROP SPELL)
You then reveal cards for all of them in favorite method.
bdharris1
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of bdharris1
Here's one I came up with on my own, I can make more if you would like.

Pick any two digit number. Add the digits together. Add the digits together again. If you had only one number after adding the digits together before, ignore the second addition (or tell them to put a 0 in front of the number, whatever you want). Then add the total number of letters in the name of that number to the number itself. Then do it again. Then add the digits, then the letters in the name. Add the letters in the name again, then the digits, then the letters. After all this work, the people around you will have no clue what you are doing, but it turns out that they all have 8. Every time.

You could then do whatever you wanted to with the spectator, maybe do something with their birthday, maybe do something with that day's date, or you could do my personal favorite - leave it at that, but have a prediction envelope sitting on the side of the stage (or in your pocket if you want) with the number 8 in it.

I have interest in that ticket. Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17661 Posts

Profile of Slim King
OK OK OK....You got me going. I'm headded to The Woody Awards at Universal at The Hard Rock Live.....As soon as I am done I will try to sober up enough to try this.
Sounds Killer. I just got a new batch of tickets today, so the timing is totally right.
Anyone not wanting to expose anything here can also PM me with the effect...The method is not necessary.
This new one sounds cool!
Thanks
Dave

Posted: Apr 10, 2006 4:24pm
---------------------------------------------
Bdharris1 and Craniel Fermentator have hit on the same method, with different presentations. When are you guys comming to Orlando?
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
You might enjoy Automata by R. Shane.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
bdharris1
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of bdharris1
I am going to be there in September of this year, I think that it would be a good idea for you to mail me the tickets, because there is a posibility that I may not be there. I am going to Disney for a week Smile . PM me and I will give you my address.

Ben
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17661 Posts

Profile of Slim King
These tickets have a short shelf life and a few restrictions as always. If you arrive durring Peak Season I'll have to walk you into the park. I'll PM you the info.
Dave
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Are you familiar with http://www.mathpuzzle.com/ ?
You might have to dig around to find math puzzles with applications to magic, but I've seen some good ones on there.
Good luck!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
bdharris1
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of bdharris1
Naw, never mind about the tickets. The trip just got postponed indefinitely, my wife is pregnant. You keep them and have a good time. Consider it free.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Math Secrets! Revealed! $$$ Fun (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL