We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The Six Up Stack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dafin77
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of dafin77
Take a new (American) deck. Cut six cards (the Ace through 6 of spades) from the bottom (the face) to the top of the deck. Now do five out faros. I'll call this the Six Up Stack.

It’s *much* easier to get to and from (American) new deck order with this stack than with any of the standard stacks. And this matters not merely b/c one might want to bring a deck to NDO at the climax of a routine, and not merely b/c one might want to open a new deck and get it in order while chatting with spectators, but (mainly, I think) b/c when you're not in front of spectators and have a genuinely shuffled deck that you want to bring to stack order, the most convenient way is to first bring it to NDO (the colors and numbers guide you), and then into stack order. Or this would be the most convenient way, it seems to me, if it were as easy to get from NDO to stack order as it is with the Six Up Stack. So I’m tempted to learn this stack.

The problem with the Six Up Stack is that there’s a sequence in it that goes
Q-7-Q-4-9-A-9-4-Q-7-Q,
and this bit of symmetry might, I suppose, be noticed by a spectator when the cards were spread face up. Quite unlikely to happen, I think, but possible. So: what I’m looking for is the simplest stack that doesn’t have this problem. That is: I want to get to and from NDO as easily as possible; I don’t want to be running 52 cards singly, as I must if I use Mnemonica (with an American deck). But I’d prefer not to have any sequence in the stack that looks too obviously symmetrical. I’m willing to cut a few cards and/or run a few before (or after) my five faros. Does anyone know a stack that fits this bill--or how to figure one out? I can keep messing around with StackView, but I’ll take any help I can get.
David Finkelstein
dafin77@hotmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The Six Up Stack (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL