The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greetings All - another lurker has finally surfaced (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I'm an investment banker from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and I enjoy performing minor miracles for my friends, clients, and acquaintances. My Uncle's best friend was a member of the Magic Castle and they got me into magic when I was about 10 years old. They used to take me to a local magic store that had an ambiance about it that would always give me shivers; the store and its owner were just so freaky. They used to take me there every month and buy me a trick before they would go into the "back room" to discuss more advanced magic. I performed for friends and family all the time and was constantly being booked to perform at birthday parties up until I turned 14, which is when I gave it up. To be honest, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but it was guys like Copperfield that contributed to my lack of interest in magic. As a teenager, and even later as an adult, I was just no longer interested in magic involving obvious props. In 2001, for my daughter's birthday party, I decided I would dig out all my old magic stuff and perform for her and her friends. I set up my props randomly around the house and led them around while doing magic. I got so into it that I even painted my old wooden magic box (a Maurice Saunders effect, a.k.a. The Great Raymond) so that it would fit in as a table in my living room. It went well and some of the parents were even impressed. My interest was somewhat rekindled, but it wasn't until later that year when I saw David Blaine's "Street Magic" on TLC that I got excited about magic again. I know that many members of the Café are not fans, but, for me, Blaine's approach was exactly what I thought magic should be like. The old magic store I loved in my childhood was gone and no other store in Edmonton existed, but I found some on-line stores and then eventually Ellusionist and The Magic Café. Although I'm a new member here, I've been a "lurker" for a while, and the opinions and views from everybody have been invaluable in my resurgent quest to amaze. I extend my gratitude to all and I hope I can reciprocate in time.

Arthur
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Arthur,

Welcome to the Café! I enjoyed reading your bio and always come to the conclusion, "once bitten by the magic bug, it's with you for life". At times it may remain dormant, only to re-emerge later in life. Sounds as if your interest has again be rekindled and I hope you enjoy your visits at the Café. Changing your status from lurker to official member - you can now post! Please don't hesitate to join in the conversations. Have fun!
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
Hello Arthur,

would you like to rise your business?? Show to your customer "Hundy 500", and let me know!
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Welcome to the Magic Café Arthur! Hope to see you around the forum.

Magically,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Welcome, Arthur! Like you, I prefer magic to be close-up and personal, preferably in the hands. You should find lots to interest you here.
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Welcome to the Café!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Welcome Arthur, you're going to have to make it out to our monthly magic meetings here in Edmonton that Kent Wong holds in his office. You'll have a great time.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
gollymrscience
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of gollymrscience
Hi Arthur;
That "scary magic dealer" was Freddy Willard. Story about him in the Penn and Teller thread.
Lots of other stories could be told.
He is a great guy and many magicians got their start though him.
He could be an intimidating guy for the uninitiated but once you passed the Willard test phase and moved to the inner circle of "The Boys" you were on your way to learning all sorts of great stuff.
One of the scary things for new folks was that stare and the wild eyebrows (that Freddy pruned and watered I am sure) but it was "the look". He was a Magician through and through and when you went in that store you were subjected to the treatment all newcomers got. The test to see if you were there to actually be a Magician or were you there to just grab a trick or two.
Those that made it into the classification of "Freddy's Boys" were privilaged indeed.
EvanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of EvanTheMagicMan
Welcome to the Café!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greetings All - another lurker has finally surfaced (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL