The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Learn some stuff from the 3 stooges (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jacob garr
View Profile
New user
Independence Mo.
17 Posts

Profile of jacob garr
I have been watching a lot of the 3 stooges latley and noticed "HEY!, it wouldnt be a bad idea to examine their abnormal gags like having a waffle iron jump in the air or having a mannequin that launches pies!" I think if I watch the 3 stooges a lot I will notice how to make one of their comedy props and make my own version of it!
I think if you watch the 3 stooges you will also notice that they use a lot of crazy comedy props! Smile
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Curly: "Cewtainly!!!"

Moe: "Why you.....quit trying to be a wise guy." SMACK!!!!

Larry: "Hey, don't hit him."

Moe: SMACK!!!!

Larry: "I can't see, I can't see!"

Moe: "What's the matter?"

Larry: "I got my eyes closed."

Curly: "Yeunk, yeunk, yueunk."

Moe: "Why you!" SMACK!!!

I've learned a lot from the Three Stooges! I love those guys!

Regan
Mister Mystery
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
One night I saw 2 of the 3 stooges walk into a bar...

the other 1 ducked

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Watch out! It has been found that watching the Three Stooges can be addictive. The Surgeon General has stated that the best way to deal with this is to "Just Say Moe"!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
My shoulder dragon puppet has a bit of stooge in her.

She head butt's me in our walk around.

Last weekend we got reminded of something.

Some kids do not see this as funny. One child started crying. I was told by his mother that whenever he perceives someone getting hurt, as a sensitve kid, he cries.

Of course, my wonderful wife, (in many many areas) does also not appreciate Stooge humor.

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Also, If the Stooges have taught us nothing else about comedy they have taught us that a pie in the face ia ALWAYS FUNNY!
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
The Three Stooges Movie in 2000 was just plain sad.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I have always been a Stooges fan...mostly out of admiration for their incredible comic slapstick. The Stooges teach us the value of comic preparation...things have to happen in a specific order to maintain maximum effect. They taught us comic timing...things have to happen at a specific pace. Too fast or too slow and you lose the impact. They taught us the value of characterization...each Stooge had a defined personality that showed through everything they did. Moe was the self-abosrbed leader, Larry was the wise follower and Curly was Curly...praise the comic gods. They taught us the value of teamwork. Still, their greatest lesson of all was how to laugh at ourselves. As with any great clown, they held a mirror up to society and allowed us to see ourselves as we truely often appear. I miss them.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
This months MUM has an article on the stooges, interesting read. As for me, I got one of the worst beatings I ever got in my life because of the stooges. I was about a 3rd grader when I first saw them on TV. My dad came home from work and was drifting off to sleep on the couch. I was rambling away telling him about these crazy guys I saw on TV that day as he was drifting off. To show him what I thought was funny, I reached over, grabbed his nose while saying "nyuk, nuyk, nyuk, and tried to give it a 360 degree twist. My dad came about 5 feet up off the couch and my rear end got a whailing. funny now, not so funny back then.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
I taught my daughter the alphabet with the "B-A BAY" Song.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I think people are getting to soft and to sensitive for comedy like this. I miss it. "Something about Jane" had some slap stick but it is few are seldom used.

WC Fields said, "I never saw anything funny that wasn't terrible, if it causes pain, it's funny, if it doesn't it isn't"

To expand on what he said I believe if it came from pain it can be funny. Like an embarrassing story or making fun of a heart brake. We either laugh or cry at horrible things, it's better to laugh and it also helps build that comedic tension so when you brake it the audience knows it's time to laugh.

I have heard people say, after watching our show, "it was silly", well, we are called the Village Idiots, but our humor is not all silly. Some of it is so darn cerebral that allot of people don't get it. Some is subtle and yes a majority of it is "hit em over the head" comedy. For them to say that makes me think they aren't stooges fans.

Long live the Stooges!!
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I have to disagree, VI. Look at the success of Home Alone; Planes, Trains & Automobiles; nearly any comedy featuring Jim Carey; MAD TV; The Simpsons; Dave Chappelle...alot of this is good old fashioned slapstick and in-your-face humor. Seems to me that it's the same old schtick with an up-dated, shiny new face.

Woody Allen said "If I fall down an open manhole, that's tragedy. If it happens to you, that's comedy." The formula hasn't changed...it's simply been reconfigured.

Nevertheless, it remains a proven fact that the Stooges' style of humor appeals more to the male segment of our society than the female. This proves, scientifically, that the Stooges were from Mars.

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
In fact, I went to see Steve Martin's remake of The Pink Panther last week with a little trepidation. I absolutely adore the comedy styles of Peter Sellers and Steve Martin and was concerned that the two would clash. Martin's version of The Pink Panther is a slapstick hit. I laughed all the way through.

Leslie Nielsen's and some of Mel Gibson's humorous works are further examples of Stooge-style slapstick surviving and thriving into the 21st century. Thank goodness!!

Skip

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-03-13 23:39, Skip Way wrote:

Woody Allen said "If I fall down an open manhole, that's tragedy. If it happens to you, that's comedy." The formula hasn't changed...it's simply been reconfigured.

I think you are pretty close on the quote, but I believe the source on this one is Mel Brooks.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Compared to the day when there was the Keystone Cops, Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Broth., Chaplin, Fields, Keaton, Lloyd, then I do feel like there aren't as many physical comics. There were allot more slapstick because they were from the silent era, I know, I think some people like to believe they are above this type of comedy.

We had Don Knotts, John Ritter, Richard Proyor and Chevy Chase. They were all great with the physical comedy. I know Chevy is still alive but he no long takes any falls. So now we are left with Jim Carey? I know there are a few more it just feels to me there are very few that do, much less do it good.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2006-03-14 09:06, Vandy Grift wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-03-13 23:39, Skip Way wrote:

I think you are pretty close on the quote, but I believe the source on this one is Mel Brooks.

Vandy

According to my book on notable film quotations, Woody Allen made the initial "manhole" quotation. Mel Brooks followed up with his version..."Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall down an open manhole and die"...a little later intentionally playing off of Woody's statement. Books can be wrong...but, there ya go.

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Skip you're probably right. I was just going from memory,I have no book to cite. LOL.

Thanks,

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Learn some stuff from the 3 stooges (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL